Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Christmas E-Mail

• 20-12-2005 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Did anyone notice the Christmas E-mail from IBB?

Sender
    Announcements

Subject
    None

With all the customers e-mails on the to field including some phone numbers.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

did not get one ....

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

checked and just noticed its e-mails starting with numbers, a, b and one m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Can only see announcements@irishbroadband.ie :confused:

Here's the image:

image0013hi.jpg

The_Edge wrote:
    Can only see announcements@irishbroadband.ie :confused:

Here's the image:

If you view the header of the e-mail you will see them.

I did and can't? :confused:

• Advertisement

The_Edge wrote:
    I did and can't? :confused:

Does your e-mails address start with numbers, a, b or m?

Yeap, B.

X-Gmail-Received: 13b10e8e091a343bfc2b9ddbe92aa92162c1c7d1
    Delivered-To: ***@gmail.com
    Received: by 10.54.124.18 with SMTP id w18cs22947wrc;
    Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:20:53 -0800 (PST)
    Received: by 10.66.224.1 with SMTP id w1mr2039950ugg;
    Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:20:52 -0800 (PST)
    Return-Path: <announcements@irishbroadband.ie>
    Received: from dubms01.irishbroadband.ie (smtp-exch.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.210])
    by mx.gmail.com with SMTP id j2si1756792ugf.2005.12.20.09.20.45;
    Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:20:52 -0800 (PST)
    Received-SPF: pass (gmail.com: domain of announcements@irishbroadband.ie designates 62.231.32.210 as permitted sender)
    content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/related;
    type="multipart/alternative";
    boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C60588.12DD7824"
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6603.0
    Subject:
    Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:09:01 -0000
    Message-ID: <8FF1B96416403640A9EB105C269BAA7401FEDF59@dubms01.irishbroadband.ie>
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
    Thread-Index: AcYFhq6ZoNMZ8t+PSpyb9kp8r61XfQAAEdmg
    Unless I'm missing something? :confused:

The_Edge wrote:
    Yeap, B.

Unless I'm missing something? :confused:

You may have being lucky.

Different time-stamp/message id on mine if you can go by that.

Oh and the e-mail was 122k in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

aubhall wrote:
    With all the customers e-mails on the to field including some phone numbers.

Report this to the data protection commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Quite unprofessional indeed.

IBB say that if you wish to use their services, you must disclose personal information. AND they also then say that they do not accept any responsibilty for distribution of your personal information :confused:

Like it or not, they DO have a responsibility.

I bet that list is worth a few €€€ to the highly popular spamming brigade, but IBB don't seem at all concerned or indeed care about their customers.

Yet another thorn in the side for a company who appear to be on a downward uncontrollable spiral descent.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

hey guys, everyone makes mistakes. I may be drunk but you are over reacting and bringing attention to something that was most likly a mistake. People are way to bitchy on here.

Remember a phone book has just about everones names and address in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

1013 wrote:
    AND they also then say that they do not accept any responsibilty for distribution of your personal information

The law clearly states otherwise. I'm gonna go with the law on this one :)
    TomTom wrote:

You're right, but then you consent to inclusion in the phone book, and most people are aware of the fact that they are consenting (nowadays, whatever about years ago), and the possible consquences. Finally there's no financial cost to you (there may be the cost of the time taking calls) for the correspondence you may receive as a result of this. Email addresses are different, as there is a cost associated with receiving the correspondence. Besides, with IBB, they haven't done much to warrant some understanding from their customers, as you'll know from reading this forum.

.cg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The_Edge wrote:
    image0013hi.jpg
    No it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I don't know why they bother to put up the times they'll be available over Xmas. If you can't get through to them during normal service, what chance do you have at Xmas.:rolleyes:

I don't know why they bother to put up the times they'll be available over Xmas. If you can't get through to them during normal service, what chance do you have at Xmas.:rolleyes

Lol..!!:D :D

Anybody get the email *again* this morning?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The law clearly states otherwise. I'm gonna go with the law on this one

Probably does. Any idea where it may be written?

Which is why I'm not it. I don't want to receive numerous calls selling this & that. However, I had no choice about IBB distributing my email address. Human error or not, they have not done anything to make amends.

As I have said, they insist on having your details, but also claim no responsibility for distribution of same. For them to say that they take Data Protection seriously is a total contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Tazz T wrote:
    I don't know why they bother to put up the times they'll be available over Xmas. If you can't get through to them during normal service, what chance do you have at Xmas.:rolleyes:

That's not true anymore during normal business hours. They seem to be ALOT better for the last 2 weeks answering calls straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Ken Shabby wrote:
    No it doesn't.

I actually laughed out loud so much there that I spat on myself, nice one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

1013 wrote:
    Probably does. Any idea where it may be written?

www.dataprivacy.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

damien.m wrote:
    Lol
    Mad stuff
    Case Study 9/04 - Inadvertent disclosure of client data by the Midland Health Board to a research body The Midland Health Board brought to my attention voluntarily that there had been a breach of the Data Protection Acts in that data had been disclosed inadvertently to a research body without the consent of the data subjects concerned. Section 2D(1)(b) of the Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2003 provides that "Personal data shall not be treated, for the purposes of section 2(1)(a) of the Acts, as
    [view more...]
    Case study 10/04 - Bank of Ireland marketing of 12 and 13 year old school children I received a number of complaints during 2003 relating to marketing activity by Bank of Ireland in schools where 12 and 13 year olds had received presentations by Bank staff and were offered the opportunity of opening an account. The complaints centered on the lack of parental consent, details on parents being sought, the procedure by which the teacher confirmed the identity of students and the fact that when an account
    [view more...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Every time I hear or see the IBB ads that go "Some things don't work well without lines, but our broadband does" I always think, no it doesn't, at least not according to the people here. So I'm wondering, has anyone on IBB submitted a complaint to the ASAI? IBB are advertising something that they cannot provide, and plenty of people can prove this.

Might be worth someone's time to do this. It would at least force IBB into responding to the ASAI when they investigate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

How about using those email addresses to invite people to join a user group and report the horror stories to it.

"IBB user group finds 99% can't access the interne"t would make better headlines than "few people on boards report problems"

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Ken Shabby wrote:
    No it doesn't.
    LOL, I didn't get that for ages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How about using those email addresses to invite people to join a user group and report the horror stories to it.

Mail them all with links to misc IBB threads around here :D , the user groups is kinda here anyway ...not that IBB cares .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Demian

Yeah, I've got 6 emails from them now.
    The picture ad and this one:
    Announcements would like to recall the message, "".

I tested the service for a while and it seemed ok. I didn't want to have to rely on a land line and dealing with eircom year long line rental.

Download speeds with the one I bought are only about 30kps. Could be to do with where it's positioned, but still. I will be ringing them over the Christmas period at the times they advertised, right at the beginning and end of the day just to make sure they're not getting in late and clocking off early. They've pissed me off and I'm going to get my monies worth of customer service.

Is there any good wireless broadband in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

To put it bluntly. NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 IDUBasher

Omg, what a bunch of assholes. Have received the stupid email 4 times now and counting along with the recall.:eek:

Also got this one,
    Hi All,
    You Irishbroadband customers, just like to point out the massive error Irishbroadband have just done, ALL your email addresses where just sent out over the line in their christmas greetings!

If any of you are using outlook and have a virus these muppets have manged to give away all our email addresses to spammers. If that wasnt enough I begged and pleeded Irishbroadband to take me off this list as they royally screwed me with my broadband subscription and I no longer want to hear from them. Now that I am gone from their debit sheet they continue to try to destroy my life, with this kind of crap.

This in part shows the incompetence of the people you are intrusting to you broadband facilities. I would strongly recommend you did what I did and move to smart telecom. Dont try to ring them and ask for help you'll be on hold for hours, they may even "promise to call back" but never do.

I wonder which broadband provider I should sell this list of emails too?

I wish you a very happy christmas,
    Anon

Whoever let this one slip should be castrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

They dident mail me but then I think they are afraid to mail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

IDUBasher wrote:
    Omg, what a bunch of assholes. Have received the stupid email 4 times now and counting along with the recall.:eek:

Also got this one,
    Hi All,
    You Irishbroadband customers, just like to point out the massive error Irishbroadband have just done, ALL your email addresses where just sent out over the line in their christmas greetings!

If any of you are using outlook and have a virus these muppets have manged to give away all our email addresses to spammers. If that wasnt enough I begged and pleeded Irishbroadband to take me off this list as they royally screwed me with my broadband subscription and I no longer want to hear from them. Now that I am gone from their debit sheet they continue to try to destroy my life, with this kind of crap.

This in part shows the incompetence of the people you are intrusting to you broadband facilities. I would strongly recommend you did what I did and move to smart telecom. Dont try to ring them and ask for help you'll be on hold for hours, they may even "promise to call back" but never do.

I wonder which broadband provider I should sell this list of emails too?

I wish you a very happy christmas,
    Anon

Whoever let this one slip should be castrated.

I wonder which IBB employee will be fired over this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I wonder which Smart Telecom employee spotted a good 'morketing' opportunity there :D ??

• Advertisement

"Whoever let this one slip should be castrated"

Assuming that is physically possible..... :D:D

Seems to be lots (more...) anti IBB feelings gathering. What are they going to do? What can they do? Likely that nothing will be done or happen I'd say until New Year. Anyway, probably suits, some may not want to be without BB over Christmas ;)

"I wonder which IBB employee will be fired over this one"

Could kinda spoil your Christmas wondering if you'll have a job to go back to....!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement