Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Price Drop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Always good to see decreases in prices from anybody.. this is good, Im with NTL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

hummmm how did you find that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

That's nice but....I'd rather they do that and announce upgrades/expanded roll-out. I'd hope that's not 'it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Drapper wrote:
    hummmm how did you find that?

It was in Today's Irish Times also on their web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

RintPete wrote:
    It was in Today's Irish Times also on their web site.

sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I downgraded from 3meg to 2meg. Hardly noticed. Sure downloads take a bit longer but not's really noticeable when these downloads are very large. I very rarely maxed out my bandwidth when I was on 3meg anyway.

But if 3 become 10 and 2 stays at 2 then I'll definitely upgrade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Well if the upgrade to 10meg happens here in the new year i hope it runs easier then its going in the UK :) forums over there are full of folk bitching about firmare upgrade to modems and major probs with the oder style of hardware they have there :(

Fingers crossed for a price reduction and performance increase in the new year, now that would make a sweat belated xmas pressie :))

Misty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

So 1Mb goes from €25 to €24.99, amazing savings to be had!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mistmyr wrote:
    Well if the upgrade to 10meg happens here in the new year i hope it runs easier then its going in the UK :) forums over there are full of folk bitching about firmare upgrade to modems and major probs with the oder style of hardware they have there :(

Well one of the major problems in the UK, is that there is a large variety of different modems used and some of the older models aren't capable of the higher speeds.

Because cable BB was delayed so long here, most of us have the same, newer model that don't have problems, I believe people who have had cable BB since 2000 have already had their modems replaced withthe newer models in anticipation of the upgrade.

We did get the 10mb upgrade for one night and for the most part it worked well, even with many people trying to download the entire internet :) I'm sure their will be network problems for the first few weeks as it adjusts, but it will be fine in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is interesting to note that these prices now almost exactly match Chorus. So it looks like they are getting ready to merge, I hope they still give us the 10mb upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hahaha just noticed that, what an amazing saving!

and I agree with halenger, who cares about price drops if we can't get the broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I think that one is more to do with having all the prices end in .99. Which I don't see the point of.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

paulm17781 wrote:
    I think that one is more to do with having all the prices end in .99. Which I don't see the point of.

Blame Dunne Stores. :) They get to claim that stroke of genius marketing move. People always find a .99 cheaper to look at. They probably could've put it to 25.99 and it would've looked better when advertising - it'd just annoy people who already have it. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

nice to see one of the utilities bringing their prices down instead of up. I just hope the 10Meg upgrade still goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Wow we save...... A PENNY!!!:D :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

paulm17781 wrote:

Saving you 12 cents a year. Man, that company cares about its customers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Flashing the firmware of a supported modem aint exactly rocket science.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Am thinking myself dont use the net a fraction of what i used to a few months back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

5Mbits for €49.99 would appear to be the 'missing' price point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lenny wrote:
    Am thinking myself dont use the net a fraction of what i used to a few months back
    Once I got the first 3Mb bill I dropped down to 1Mb, not much difference really, cant do as much "multitasking" but everything else is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

JPA wrote:
    I downgraded from 3meg to 2meg. Hardly noticed. Sure downloads take a bit longer but not's really noticeable when these downloads are very large. I very rarely maxed out my bandwidth when I was on 3meg anyway.

But if 3 become 10 and 2 stays at 2 then I'll definitely upgrade. :D
    I did the same when NTL last dropped their prices. The 2MB package is more than adequate for what I need. Still get download speeds in or around 200kbps. The only time I really have to wait for a download (i.e. leave the room and come back in 15/20 minutes) is if I'm downloading a large file (> 500MB).

It's amazing to find a company these days dropping their prices like this. I know it's only a small drop but still, feels weird not being ripped off.

asmith wrote:
    It's amazing to find a company these days dropping their prices like this. I know it's only a small drop but still, feels weird not being ripped off.

I completely agree. NTL have a good reputation (for BB products) and they are gaining customers. They didn't have to drop their prices but they did. I wish ESB would behave more like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Infini wrote:
    Wow we save...... A PENNY!!!:D :p
    A cent actually! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Judging by the fact that the price changes are happening in January I feel UPC/NTL may not actually be upgrading to 10Mb yet....maybe in a few months time when they have completed all their upgrades and are offering a phone service as well?

Judging by the fact that the price changes are happening in January I feel UPC/NTL may not actually be upgrading to 10Mb yet....maybe in a few months time when they have completed all their upgrades and are offering a phone service as well?

You could be right. Don't forget though, last time the speed went up the max package went from €50 to €45. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Wrong forums I know, but did anyone notice they've put up the price of the tv service? (Again...b'stards!!). So with that extra 50 cents, I am *personally* subsidising 50 of you lot on the 1MB package. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I think and hope that you are write.

Advertisement