Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What happens when you speed?

Options
  • 20-12-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

guys my friend was in an accident just thought id let u know what speed does.he went over a roundabout in rathmicheal doing over 80mph.(thats what he says i was not in the car at the time)there were 3 passangers but they all survived,they were lucky as all the airbags poped out.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Shouldnt have been speeding in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

jozi wrote:
    Shouldnt have been speeding in the first place

I think that was the purpose of the thread. At least everyone's ok, could've been nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah they were very lucky, i put this thread up to highlight that drive slow and donot drink and drive over christmas period.it was on the news that theres been a 40% increase in accidents this week.

only last week i told my friend that hes going to have an accident as he drives fast even on small roads,im not saying i drive like a granny but i speed when theres an empty road like m50 or something not when i know theres a roundabout up ahead.:D (like he did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ffs, i know the roundabout, by the damage i'd say he wasnt far off 80mph either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

drdre wrote:
    yeah they were very lucky, i put this thread up to highlight that drive slow and donot drink and drive over christmas period.it was on the news that theres been a 40% increase in accidents this week.

only last week i told my friend that hes going to have an accident as he drives fast even on small roads,im not saying i drive like a granny but i speed when theres an empty road like m50 or something not when i know theres a roundabout up ahead.:D (like he did)

Hopefully the one good thing to come out of this incident is that he has learnt his lesson. It could have been oh so much worse.

• Advertisement

yeah he was lucky the car didnot roll over,then the 3 of the would have been gone forever.my other friend had an accident on the same roundabout about 4 months ago and his front axile had to be changed as it was really badly damaged.

hash do u live around there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Has more to do with observation and possibly inappropriate use of speed than speeding per sé IMO.

Thats my 2c anyway

Glad everyones okay.

[edit] The damage is on the LH side. Did he go off on the exit of the roundabout or dive for an apex at the beginning? [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

drdre wrote:
    empty road like m50

Ya what???

Are there 2 M50s now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I was watching a programme on Discovery one nite and it was all about car crashes/speeding etc. The investigator on it stated that there is no such thing as a "car accident" as it is always someones fault at the end of the day being careless when driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Has more to do with observation and possibly inappropriate use of speed than speeding per sé IMO.
    Yes, people confuse speeding with stupidity.
    They often overlap but aren't the same thing.

I hope your mate is never allowed to drive a car again drdre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Glad everyone made it !

I heard on the radio that December 20th was statistically the worst day of the year for road deaths !

Its nice to know your friends didn't get included !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Jesus dre, they were lucky... back wheels and all got it. Is he fixing it :D .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

drdre wrote:
    guys my friend was in an accident just thought id let u know what speed does.
    *yawn*

When you've done boring us with your speeding is naughty crap, how about learning how to use capital letters and punctuation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I agree with Gurgle and SouperComputer. While I certainly wouldn't encourage or condone speeding, I think this crash was more down to stupidity (as described anyway). It's pretty common sense that you drive 'around' a roundabout not over it. I have on occasion accidentally drifted over the speed limit while approaching a roundabout, a pretty simple combination of applying pressure to the brake pedal followed by some gentle steering has always got me around in one piece.

(Good to hear everyone was ok, I wouldn't be so flippant or condescending if not)

yeah it was down to stupitiy.man everybody speeds and nobody can say they donot.but its just when u speed.

kersh its actually written off.hes dismantling it to sell it off in bits so he can make some money back.he has a steering wheel,exhaust system,2 alloys, sound system etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Ken Shabby wrote:
    *yawn*

When you've done boring us with your speeding is naughty crap, how about learning how to use capital letters and punctuation?

and when you're done boring us with your pointless replies, how about you take your smart comments over to the elocution forum?

seriously, the pics posted should serve as a reminder of the effects speeding can have on you, your passengers and more importantly others around you!

they were very very lucky...

ciars that it u tell him:D

"when you're done boring us with your pointless replies, how about you take your smart comments over to the elocution forum?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im just wondering what car you got to be able to achieve those speeds ? as im never that good with kph so my extimate of you mph speed is very high for a irish road

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That will be an expensive lesson!
    I had anticipated what you confirmed dre, that the car was written off. Generally any suspension/structural damage to a car that doesnt have a high OMSP, insurane will write off.

I'm sure he valued the car at a lot more than the insurance company valued it at :(

Glad to hear he was OK - He probably wont be speeding for a while. Was it a VTec?

• Advertisement

john he didnot even tell the insurance company what happened,because he is young his insurance will go flying up.the car was only worth 5000 so if he claims then his insurance will go higher over the coming years.

so he said hes not even going to claim,he didnot hit any other car it was just a roundabout.

elexes are you asking what car i have, i have a vw golf 1.4,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

drdre wrote:
    so he said hes not even going to claim,he didnot hit any other car it was just a roundabout.

Does the roundabout not need to be repaired or does he expect the tax payer to foot the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Ken Shabby wrote:
    *yawn*

How about you leave the modding to those who are suppossed to. If you've nothing of interest to say, it's quite acceptable to say nothing.

i donot really know if the roundabout has to be repaired, id say if it is he will want the taxman to pay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

drdre wrote:
    ...and donot drink and drive over christmas period.

Or even over Roundabouts!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

elexes are you asking what car i have, i have a vw golf 1.4,

Is it modded, 190kph (119mph) is faster than the supposed top speed of you car, even if it's the brand new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Gatster wrote:
    Is it modded, 190kph (119mph) is faster than the supposed top speed of you car, even if it's the brand new one?

It was probably an indicated 190kph. My dad's Sonata's speedo goes up to 150mph, when it's top speed is only 121 or 126

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lick of paint and none will be the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Was he the loon that hit and partially demolished a road sign about 10 meters from that roundabout? If so he is a real w@nker. I know that road well, use it every day, and have come across idiots driving well beyond the limits of the road (especially coming up to that roundabout), and the car. He was lucky this time, he didn't hit anyone, but that luck will run out someday, and when it does I pray he dosn't plough into me or any one I care for.
    End of rant:o

Advertisement