Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good V Evil

• 20-12-2005 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Simple really, in wrestling, which do you prefer - the sweety pie babyface or the evil dirty heel?

Personally, I many cases I tend to find the heel alot more entertaining, be this in watching WWE, IWW, ECW, TNA or whatever. Too often these days, I think that the face is almost pandering to kids too much, and find their characters a little one dimensional. I tend to like the heel more as their promos generally are more amusing, especially with home town bashing, and the general cockiness, arrogance, and outright acting the shít.

Of course this can be countered by saying you can only be as good as your opponent, for instanse, if a dirty ass heel is up against a face without too much charisma, you will always root for the heel, and vice versa.

Gone is the day of fans going with the flow and blindly supporting the face, all the while booing the heel, we see that in most every promotion these days. I am loathe too booing certain heels ie Red Vinny and George McFly in IWW, JBL in WWE, Daniels in TNA, but will anyway, as that what their characters need. If people start cheering them, they eventually turn, and in many cases that does their character no good - a prime example being Ortons turn away from Evolotion last year. The was being cheered as the heel, so he was turned, and it led to argubly the worst face run of any main eventer in recent memory.

So back to the original question, in general, which entertains you most, and more importantly, why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rebelsbells2005

i tink the heel they can vary it alot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

In most cases, I prefer the heel. I don't like them purely because they're the heel, I just like them cos they entertain me, and in most cases, it's the heel that entertains me

Some of the most entertaining wrestlers that come to mind have been Matt Hardy during the Version 1 days, Los Guerreros during the SD6 times, Kurt nearly his whole career, JBL since around WM, Christopher Daniels for a long time, Jericho and Christian when they were around each other and Jake Roberts. All of them were heels. My favourite guy in IwW has been Red Vinny, although he seems to be a face now, and Keego will probably seem more entertaining to me next time I see them! My favourite wrestler is the perfect heel, CM Punk

Of course, there's always exceptions, and I do like to see the face win a lot of the time. I just watched TNA's last ppv today, main event was Jarrett vs Rhino. Jeff's been playing a great heel recently I think, and Rhino's got fan sympathy on his side after some video segments they did. Of course, most fans just prefer Rhino to Jarrett anyway. Made for a great match cheering on Rhino though. Actually..just thinkin, in TNA I'd nearly prefer most of the faces. In WWE it's mainly the heels. Don't know if there's any theoretical basis to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I tend to favour the heel but I like Chris Benoit. I tend to like great wrestlers whether they're heel or face. I liked Angle and Jericho when they were faces and RVD too though he was always a face in WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Once again, it all depends on the wrestler. Some guys you just like and don't care what they hell they do, others you like until they turn and then you hate them (( "Fat" Billy Kidman, i'm looking at you! )).

Sometimes you wonder WHY they would turn them at all ( like Orton as you said ) others seem to do so effortlessly ( like big Dave Batista ).

Some people try to be a heel but can't really run it because the crows respects them too much ( R.I.P Eddie ).

All in all, i don't favour either, i favour talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I've never favored either, I just like a guy based on his character in general whether it's face or heel, and I don't think actual wrestling ability comes into it, it's all now to how the guy projects his character to the crowd. And obviously having a good gimmick in the first place helps.

And I must say it's the sign of a real star if he can play a great heel or face.
    The best examples of these, I think, are Austin, Hogan, Rock, Mankind and the Undertaker.
    HHH, JBL and Angle are all great heels but were never very believable as faces.
    Benoit, Jericho and Eddie could all work either, but not to the extent of the others I mentioned, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

i think the genral rule of thumb would be the older a wrestling fan is the more they prefer heels. I think thats why its easier for new wrestlers to get over as heels when they first come in ie. Carlito, Brock Orton etc.. In contrast someone like Cena is adored by those 12 and under but gets a large precentage of the older demographic booing the hell out of him wherever he go's.

i think the genral rule of thumb would be the older a wrestling fan is the more they prefer heels. I think thats why its easier for new wrestlers to get over as heels when they first come in ie. Carlito, Brock Orton etc.. In contrast someone like Cena is adored by those 12 and under but gets a large precentage of the older demographic booing the hell out of him wherever he go's.

Orton was'nt a heel when he first came in, he was a face for about a year until he moved to Raw and they started the whole Get Well Randy thing (Did anyone send else send an mail to that address he used to give out (i did for the laugh, it was a very funny response).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say that the Heel always wins in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

D-FENS wrote:
    Orton was'nt a heel when he first came in, he was a face for about a year until he moved to Raw and they started the whole Get Well Randy thing (Did anyone send else send an mail to that address he used to give out (i did for the laugh, it was a very funny response).

My God you have a better memory than me ! But thats basically my point. His inital face debut was mediocre at best. They started doing the smarmy cocky heel "get well Randy vignettes" and that was how he began to get over

My God you have a better memory than me ! But thats basically my point. His inital face debut was mediocre at best. They started doing the smarmy cocky heel "get well Randy vignettes" and that was how he began to get over

True, and generally the format works to make guys more popular.
    Just what Cena needs, although no chance for the time being

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

One word..EVIL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I don't really prefer either heels or faces to any great degree. For me, it all depends on well they're playing their particular role. Some will be better as heels, others faces. So either side can be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I agree with the above. I like some faces but then some like Cena who are pushed so far into your face can be overwhelming and annoying. Same with a heel sometimes theyre just so annoying you dont enjoy watching them but some are really entertaining.

Overall I generally prefer heels.

Advertisement