Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car stereo at homes...

• 20-12-2005 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

I once was in a house where they used a car stereo fitted in the kitchen units. I though it was neat because usually they take up a lot of workarea. I wonder how it was powered/wired though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

HI There,

I have a sauna at home and it has a "car stereo" in it. As it came supplied with the sauna, Im not entirely sure how it is hooked up, but when it was being installed I asked the guy who was putting it together and he said that is very, very similar to the way the car is hooked up. He said it was very basic way of setting it up - do you know a mechanic? They will know as long as you can get it connected to a power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

A 12V DC converter will supply power for it. Remember that this is custom work so you'll need to make up connections - be prepared to cut and solder some wires.

Depending on the size of speakers you need to check the rating of the converter , a small mobile phone charger size will not provide enough power, and may overheat/ burn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i got a car stereo working by using an old atx PSU from a pc, it worked wonders ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sparky-s wrote:
    i got a car stereo working by using an old atx PSU from a pc, it worked wonders ;)

Yeah good idea was just about to suggest that, so long as it can supply more than 24 watts (2 amps @ 12V) or more. Although will the "power good" line need some attention if it's an ATX unit?

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I was gonna fit one as a case mod a few years ago :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ZENER wrote:
    Yeah good idea was just about to suggest that, so long as it can supply more than 24 watts (2 amps @ 12V) or more. Although will the "power good" line need some attention if it's an ATX unit?

ZEN

oh yeah its a 480w psu,with max load of 15a per rail, i was bench testing the whole setup and its within the safe limits :D
    Only thing is i had to mod a switch in between to switch on the psu (ie like the case switch).

Most of the music power was heading to the amps.

Sony xplod car radio btw.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Advertisement