Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6800gt Power requirements

Options
  • 21-12-2005 12:09am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am getting a XFX 6800gt (AGP) for christmas, and i will be overclocking it, the only problem is i have a cheapo 400watt PSU which will burst into flames if i try and run a 6800gt on it:)

CAn anyone recommend a good budget PSU that will run it comfortably. What kind of amperage do i need on the 12v rail. I could use a second PSU jus tfor the graphics card but that is a last resort

I was lookin at this

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304136&cks=PRL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I ran a 6800gt on a 400w PSU, and i'd 3 hds, 2 cds, 4 case fans in the system running off the 400w. The only thing i did find was not to connect a molex adpapter to the card, try and get a direct connection from the PSU to the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

mine runs fine overclocked with a 350w PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Mine runs fine and i have a 380watt but it is antec better then your's for power i would think. running 4 hd's all the pci slots are taking and my cpu and video card is overclocked. Still going fine a year later but im always thinking that the psu is going to pop on me sometime due to the stress i must be putting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Just to add to this i have a 6600gt and was having problems with the nividia power to low error coming up a lot , i have a 420watt supply and what i was told i had to do was make sure that the power cable supplying the card only went to the card nothing else. once i did this i had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

this fortron http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/107616/art/fortron/bluestorm-500-w-pc-power.html is the best 'budget' psu i've seen recently, should cover you for a while upgrade wise and fortron are a great brand

• Advertisement
Advertisement