Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are springer spaniels prone to brittle bones in old age?

• 21-12-2005 12:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

My fathers dog, is a springer spaniel (8) and he used to swim a lot
    untill he broke his leg over the summer and had to have it amputated,

Someone said to me because of all the swimming and him being cold,
    it leads to brittle bones and this is why he broke his leg,
    he was only running up a hill when he broke it .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I doubt it was the swimming or the cold. If anything, the swimming will keep him fit. It's more likely his age. He is 8, the life expectancy for a Springer is 10-15 years so he is at least middle-aged. Dogs' bones naturally become more brittle as they get older, the very same as ours. That's why it's considered a lot more serious if an old person has a fall, because their bones break/fracture easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

It might have something to do with his diet, I'm not saying your feeding him the wrong food but he may need more vitamins or more meat in his diet. It would be worth asking your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Brittle bones I'm not aware of. Springers are prone to arthritus in the hips, incontinance and their kidneys go in later life. I've one that's over 14 now..

Personally I'd go with the diet advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Thank you people, you have been very helpful.

Dan

Advertisement