Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing Magnet's router?

• 21-12-2005 3:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got Magnet and is able to access their router's setup? They've told me that they don't support portforwarding, which sounds like a load of bull to me. The modem comes allready set up and I seem to be forbidden to alter anythin about it.

If somehow this is actually real and it impossible for me to portforward, is there another way to use software like remote administrator & I suppose anything that needs portforwarding to work?

Edit: Oh yeah....the model of the modem/router is 2wire 2700HGV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Im not sure if this helps or anything but Im guesing uve tried accessing your default gateway in I.E or F.F, if so and this doesnt help.
    Alot of ISP are now managing the modem\CPE themselves rather than giving it to the customer to manage. If you cant do port forwarding on it, you should be allowed ring their tech support team and they will forward the ports for you.
    It sound like crap to me to be honest, so one way or another you casn do it or they can do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

I have managed to access the set-up through 192.168.1.254. You can reset the password by putting in the 10 digit number on the bottom of the modem.
    I need to de-activate my firewall completely or somehow open all the ports. Any help would be appreciated.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

postie wrote:
    I have managed to access the set-up through 192.168.1.254. You can reset the password by putting in the 10 digit number on the bottom of the modem.
    I need to de-activate my firewall completely or somehow open all the ports. Any help would be appreciated.:)

Whould really be on a different thread but why on earth would you want to either disable yur firewall or open all the ports. You do know that this is asking for trouble? We don't need any more zombie puters on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

http://www.portforward.com/

that should have all the info you need

coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

postie wrote:

I couldn't access the set-up through that address.

Has anyone here who's got Magnet been able to resolve this portforwarding issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

IrishTLR wrote:
    Whould really be on a different thread but why on earth would you want to either disable yur firewall or open all the ports. You do know that this is asking for trouble? We don't need any more zombie puters on the net.

Because if he can't port forward selected ports then he needs to deactivate the firewall / NAT and use a software firewall instead which is proably better as a software firewall can bock zombie software.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Because if he can't port forward selected ports then he needs to deactivate the firewall / NAT and use a software firewall instead which is proably better as a software firewall can bock zombie software.

Exactly. I have switched off the Magnet routers firewall and am now running my own instead. However you can actually forward ports on the Magnet router (thanks Coyote) and on my one you can access the admin menu with 192.168.1.254 or http://gateway.2wire.net/. After that read Coyote's link.
    All is working now so I'll have a happy Chrismas!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 abra123cadabra

Well, that's all very interesting. I have the same modem and I tried all the common options to access the router menu via explorer but nothing comes up.

So I called magnet because all my applications which normally need portforwarding worked perfectly well. They told me that in fact my modem does not have a hardware firewall at all. Only their global network is equipped with some firewall. I have no option to change any firewall settings.

Actually I would prefer a hardware firewall in my modem instead of relying only on my software firewall as they can be tricked as well.

abra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Has anyone else sorted this,i just got the 2wire 2700hgv and i want to open port 6112
    I can get the the set up page http://192.168.1.254 but i cant reset the password,i tried typing in all the numbers on the back of the router

rgds
    Cuppa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Guys,

what service have you signed up with magnet? 2Mbit or 4Mbit?

Do you get those speeds?

Im having some trouble with the speed. Worked perfect the first week.. but now is like my old IBB ripwave almost.. not good..

One thing is for sure though.. their support is like heaven compared to IBB.. Magnet are really helpfull! At least thats my experience..

• Advertisement

dammit.. cant access my Magnet router... F**K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nopz

just type "home" in the address bar that took me to the config page and i reset the password with the ten digit code from the back of the modem
    Michael

nope.. doesnt work..
    that was the first thing I tried actually when I got the router.
    Read it on 2wires website..

dammit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dub_mk_iii

Neither 192.168.1.254 nor http://gateway.2wire.net do anything for me.

Tried "ipconfig /all" to discover the IPs for DHCP Server & Default Gateway.
    both were in 87.198.*.*
    Tried both in browser, but no joy.

Any other clues?

Also postie (or anyone else who has a login to a Magnet 2Wire 2700HGV),
    Is there anything more to the Magnet config that their DHCP server & DNS IP addresses, or is there lots of QoS stuff for the Tv etc...

What I'm thinking is hitting the reset button to clear all settings, then manually setting it up. Any advice? or has anyone else reset one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I'd be careful of hitting the reset button as Magnet has configured the modem to work with their network and this would erase the settings and therefore you're connection.

I was speaking to one of their engineers and as it requires a call out to reconfigure the modem they are looking into the possibility of charging a call out fee to people who do this as it states in their instruction manual not to do this.

use the USB cabel that was in the box.. then try "home" or all the above.. they all work then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

So anyone who is accessing the 2wire modem is doing so via the usb correct? I'm connecting by network cable and those addesses don't work. Tried also the same thing as dub_mk_iii, no joy.
    I want to set up the phone wirelessly. The bloody ata needs to connect to the modem by wire only. So I was thinking of introducing another wireless router and sticking it beside the ATA then having a wireless bridge.

Thing is my modem is in the room but the house mates want to use the phone which is fine but would be way better if I could have the phone downstairs without wires.

Kinda off topic. By the way fellow magnet ppl what are ur speeds like? I'm on a 4 meg (magnet lite). I only get 1.5mbs on the site: http://www.irishisptest.com/ and an upload of around 420kbps. I think thats ****e. Also the phone line has echo's on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dub_mk_iii

No luck with USB cable, failed to get 2wire device recognised in either Win 2k or xp. Have tried the driver from the 2wire site.

Can anyone with router access confirm

you have a 2700HGV
    on copper of fibre?
    default gateway (as per 'ipconfig /all') brings up router page
    access via ethernet or usb?
    if usb what if any config done

is it an external or internal IP that gives config (87.198.*.* or 192.168.*.*)

Sniipe wrote:
    Kinda off topic. By the way fellow magnet ppl what are ur speeds like? I'm on a 4 meg (magnet lite). I only get 1.5mbs on the site: http://www.irishisptest.com/ and an upload of around 420kbps. I think thats ****e. Also the phone line has echo's on it.

Same problem here.. have the Lite.. only get around 1.5Mbit down.. Since the 2nd week Ive never been over 100kb/sec in download.. and I think it S***s!
    I was really happy at first.. but now Im not a happy camper anymore.

The phone works great for me though.. no echos or anything.

I really hope Magnet will solve the speed issue soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

I had a fairly long chat with a 2nd tier tech and the story is that the 2wire are remote configured.

There is no NAT and no firewall. You can confirm this your slef bu looking at the IP you are given, it is in the 87.198.x.x range and is fully routable.

So no port forwarding issues at all.

Later,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

Another magnet customer here. Ive had magnet for 4 weeks now and the past week and a bit has gotten dire slow, The support ppl have been good. only got onto them yesterday.

But i was getting +4Mb/s before and great ping on all games and now ping is gone to crap and download is 100Kb/s

But hopefully its fixed soon.

seems like more people are getting slower speeds... thought It was my bad luck as usual that did it...

cutepape; I think we should be getting a lot more. Are u running off extensions in the house and are there other extensions in the house?

Hey Zim, remember ur name from some lan...

What kinda pings u get to the likes of www.boards.ie?

I'm on to a guy called Willie, some foreign, not very good at communicating to me and seems dis-interested. I complained again about the internet speed, I get to speak to him again. I'm going to ask about accessing the modem aswell as I hate having to have the phone and modem beside each other. Some other twat said to me to use a cordless phone. I was soo annoyed!

I got 27, 25, 27 & 28 ms.

My speed seems very slow today so have logged a support request. Got 1200 down & 596 up from www.dslreports.com

dslreports.com, thats prob not an irish site. If u want accurate results use an Irish one. try www.irishisptest.com
    That is really good pings to boards.ie tho.

Speed is now:

2.81 Mbps / 970 kbps from irishisptest.com

Not bad but still 1.2 Mbps below what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

Hiya sniipe, Thats mental i was put onto this willie guy aswell and he's a prick. He wont give you any straight answers. like what he's doing to help. and yo can bearly understand him. he just always seems to be trying to get rid of you.

Anyway. he is the first encounter with a bad Magnet support staff. and now that he is in charge of the thing i cant get any other people. I tryed to contact the installation operator "Tony" who i found to be very helpfull but to be told that "Willie was looking after my problem.

I think they may have gotten a huge inflow of new costomers and there bandwidth usage went through the roof, and now to save what money they have they are purposly sabotaging our connections. "probably selected on a bandwidth usage basis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wormy

Hi

Ok my Xbox is connected to a wireless router. Im trying to access the magnet router using the wireless router.

IP is ok im having problems with the DNS

I also have no idea what im doing any suggestions would be well received :D

wormy, I don't know about xbox, but I'm sure u'll get a responce. Zimbabady, my issue has been restarted... I got rid of willie in the process and the operations manager is going to have a look at the line. IE go to the exchange then do a loopback test to see if there is a ****ty line. Yeah, willie isn't helpful. They'd btr hire new staff with the numbers I suspect they are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wormy

I got through to Magnet and was informed by a nice lady that I would need a scart cable to connect my xbox LAPTOP to the wireless router. also that they do not give out any information pertaining to the operation of the magnet modem. :mad: . A case of not wanting to admit to knowing nothing I think. Must have been one of willies friends. I thanked her for her well informed if slightly misguided advice then went out and bought 15 metres of cat 5 ethernet cable. :D . Im happy now ... endless hours of shooting american 10 year olds in StarWars battlefront II.

Wormy

Advertisement