Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing Magnet's router?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

I have also partially fixed my problem,

Well the first thing that helped was i got rid of willie too, he went on training from tuesday this week.

Then today (thursday) i made my daily call and i was tolt that a technitian call naill would have a look.

Within 5 mins my DL speed went from 30KB/s to 150KB/s.

I could live with this but i dont want to, it annoys me that my line was doing 400KB/s when i got it.

Now looking at the above fix, i belive magnet were capping my download speed, my upload was easily 50KB/s and thats what its suppose to be but my DL was slower. then all of a sudden they get a fix in 2 mins after 2 weeks of nagging.

Seems a little fishy to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

My magnet is still great. I dont use the magnet router for anything apart from the connection. I put my own router behind it and do all my stuff though that. I also use a seperate wireless as the range on thier is pants.

Only complaint would be their customer service. When i did have an outage i got nowhere for days until i got to knwo some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wormy

I have had no problems with connection speed so far. In fact im very happy with the service.

The Phone caused me a bit of problems at first echos , break up in speech etc, but all that is fine now even when downloading.

So far for gaming its excellent both pc and xbox.

I do agree with you TomTom that the customer service is a bit of a problem at times. You do have to persist to get someone decent to talk to.

has anyone seen this willie chap ?? If he's weird looking someone could make novelty "Ive dealt with willie t-shirts" with a little picture of his indifferent unhappy head.

LOL! That'd be cool.

I think the managment know about willie as he was away training all last week.

Sorry for the second post.

But today i have taken a new speed test and im back to 3Mb/s

heres the stats

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 2878 Kbps about 2.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 351 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net (main)
    Test Time:: 2006/03/13 - 2:09am
    Bottom Line:: 51X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.92 sec
    Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 8.516 seconds to complete
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1
    Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 99.79 % of your hosts average (magnet.ie)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-3PWU46K1Q

See the Host Average above ^^^^^, i brought that down by 1Mb due to my repetedly slot tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Computer - running off wifi:
    Connection is:: 852 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 104 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net (server1)
    Test Time:: 2006/03/14 - 7:09am
    Bottom Line:: 15X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 9.85 sec
    Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 28.75 seconds to complete
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1
    Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 29.98 % of your hosts average (magnet.ie)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-Y0QRH4MFK

On www.irishisptest.com
    I get:
    download: 2.8mb
    upload: 505kb
    Quality of service: 96%
    round trip time: 41ms
    max pause: 32ms

I changed around a few things around in the house to get the following score. I removed all other points in the house (from the main Eircom line) therefor having only 1 extention off the Eircom line. Running off Ethernet as opposed to USB.

Connection is:: 2943 Kbps about 2.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
    Download Speed is:: 359 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net (server1)
    Test Time:: 2006/03/14 - 7:30am
    Bottom Line:: 53X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.85 sec
    Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 8.328 seconds to complete
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)
    Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 78.58 % faster than the average for host (40.171)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-9ERFBPVHJ

with www.irishisptest.com
    Download: 4.58mb
    upload: 522kb
    Quality of service: 60%
    Round trip time: 41ms
    max pause: 500ms

So what this tells me is the site http://testmy.net shouldn't be used and that if u want the best results you must get rid of other points and have the modem as near as possible to the Eircom line.

I'm still not happy tho; my ping to boards.ie is about 40ms and 50ms to the unreal.ie gaming server. A bit **** when everyone else has a higher ping than me.

Yeah actually i got the full 4Mb/s with Irishisptest.ie .

But last nite i kept getting a broken connection every few mins. Maybe there was linw work being done.

BTW Back to the point,...

I accesed the magnet router using the usb cable and then typing home in the addres bar. It wouldnt work on the wirless or LAN.

Now heres where it gets interesting...
    The ip that the router wanted to give out to its users was a 127.xxx.xxx.xxx And i on the usb had a 127 ip. But anyone on the wirless or LAN including the phone did not show up in the connected list and there ip's start with 87.

They must be using the router as a.... Dunno what its called. Your ip is assigned by the server on the other side of the router.

p.s. my laptop on the usb still had net connection also, so the router can provide its own net but but only on usb.

well thats what ive seen from it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

ok i got on using the usb cable,

can you guys confirm a few things with me

every device i plug in gets a different public address, is this the case for you ?

when i am logged on to the router via usb, only the pc connected via usb appears connected inside the modem despite another being connected wirelessly.

also 2 connected machines cannot see each other,

does anyone have a 192.x.x.x style network setup, i see options for it inside the modem but don't want to mess with it.

Yeah everything either on the lan or wirless has a straight ip to the internet. i.e. 87.xxx.xxx.xxx

the machine connected to the router via usb has different ip like a network one... 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

and looking in the router info the only computer visable is the one on the usb.

any machines connected through the lan or wirless should be able to see each other. thats what ive seen anyway.

i dunno if u should play with any of the settings unless ur willing to wait for magnet to get out and fix it again.

hope that helped. :)

Advertisement