Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan to City Centre

Options
  • 21-12-2005 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi - anyone know how long it takes/how many miles to cycle from Lucan village to Dublin City Centre? Thinking of moving there but won't do it if it means having to sit in a bus all day.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Trampas

I say its about 10 miles.

time depends on how fast you cycle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There is a sign post (or there was) at the Newcastle Junction on the N4 (near superquinn) that had 13 miles to Dublin.

I'd cyle to work if we had showers here. But we dont.

Also it be dangerous enough cycling up the quays.

TIme wise depends on the person, level of fitness etc etc. But I'd say 40 mins all going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Yeah, it's 10 miles.
    I live beside the Penny Hill pub, and have cycled in ( in the summer ) in around 45 mins. And that was on a heavy enough "hybrid" bike, with heavy enough me on it ! It's all uphill on the way home too.

The buses aren't actually that bad...
    Average journey to/from Lucan (Penny Hill) in rush hour on the bus is under an hour.

Ps. the cycle home westbound on the N4 can be a little scary as the buses fly around blind bends in the road in the bus lane. You'll want high visibility clothes.

cheers,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Thanks - I'd always much prefer to cycle rather than take the bus, especially if it takes the same amount of time. I'm sure that sign at Newcastle was in km no? Which would make it 8 miles....

The only thing would be the danger factor, but on the way in I'd get off the N4 at chapelizod...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sapper wrote:
    Thanks - I'd always much prefer to cycle rather than take the bus, especially if it takes the same amount of time. I'm sure that sign at Newcastle was in km no? Which would make it 8 miles....

The only thing would be the danger factor, but on the way in I'd get off the N4 at chapelizod...
    Going by my odometer it's about 8 miles from Liffey Valley Park to Harcourt St, so add another mile for Lucan Village.

I would definitely recommend staying off the Chapelizod bypass section of the N4. As OMcgovern says, the busses and taxis fly around the corners in the bus lane. It's a boring road, and quite dangerous when windy too. Also, as said, plenty of hi-vis clothing, and some FO lights too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Look up the DTO Journey Planner. It will suggest a route (specify Cycle in bottom right) and give you an estimated cycling time (at a relatively slow speed).
    It can also estimate the calories burned.

To tediously calculate the distance you can click away at GMaps Pedometer. More suitable for short walks/runs but might be useful if the DTO route is way off.

I recommend getting a speedometer e.g. less than e18 for the basic CatEye Velo 5. It's motivating to see the miles quickly mount up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that you can go straight through junction in Chapelizod village rather than turning over the bridge. And then before going up the next hill there is a nice path on the south side of the river to Islandbridge. (not sure if legal as a cycle lane though)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

OMcGovern wrote:
    Yeah, it's 10 miles.
    I live beside the Penny Hill pub, and have cycled in ( in the summer ) in around 45 mins. And that was on a heavy enough "hybrid" bike, with heavy enough me on it ! It's all uphill on the way home too.

The buses aren't actually that bad...
    Average journey to/from Lucan (Penny Hill) in rush hour on the bus is under an hour.

That says it all about this city....cycling is faster than the bus and the bus is concerned not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Dub13 wrote:
    That says it all about this city....cycling is faster than the bus and the bus is concerned not that bad.

To be fair, that's probably true for short journeys in most cities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mucco wrote:
    To be fair, that's probably true for short journeys in most cities.

Maybe so but 10/13 miles is not a short journey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 L33

sapper
    if you are going to spend that much time on your bike make sure you have a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Dub13 wrote:
    Maybe so but 10/13 miles is not a short journey.

You'd need shower facilities at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

OMcGovern wrote:
    the cycle home westbound on the N4 can be a little scary as the buses fly around blind bends in the road in the bus lane.

is this the same stretch of road?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/12/22/story236318.html
    Gardaí today appealed for witnesses to an accident in Dublin which left a cyclist with serious head injuries.

A passing garda patrol found the man, in his 40s, lying in the out-bound bus lane at the Chapelizod Bypass at about 6.30pm yesterday.

He had serious head injuries and was taken to Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown.

“No witnesses have come forward and it is not clear at this stage if any other vehicle was involved,” a garda spokesman said today.

“This road would have been busy at that time and gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to contact Ballyfermot garda station.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seamus wrote:
    I would definitely recommend staying off the Chapelizod bypass section of the N4. As OMcgovern says, the busses and taxis fly around the corners in the bus lane.

I always use the Chapelizod ByPass rather than going through the village itself. The road along the Phoenix park by the boat clubs is much more of a drag (in both directions) than the Bypass is. The "cycle lanes" along that road too are so full of glass and/or parked cars that renders them useless also. The traffic in Chapelizod village itself at rushhour also will add 5 minutes to your journey as well as not being all that safe either. I think there is also an extra 5 sets of lights going through Chapelizod rather than using the Bypass.

My recommendation is to use the ByPass and cycle in the centre of the buslane rather than in at the side. That way you are much more visable. If you are cycling there and the traffic is all blocked up and a taxi/bus has come up behind you, you simply move into the first lane of traffic (there is usually plenty of room at some point) and let the taxi/bus by. You will end up passing them anyway at the Ballyfermot junction/Heuston Station anyway so let them on their way.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

King Raam wrote:

Yes, that's the stretch of road.
    I sit up the top & front of the bus, and am shocked at the speeds the buses fly around those corners.... smacking against branches at the side of the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

King Raam wrote:
    Yeah, I passed by that yesterday about 6:40. Since I saw the patrol cars lights, I assumed it was all under control.
    I'd say it's quite possible he clipped by the rear end of a bus, and the driver didn't even know.
    His bike had full lights and he was wearing a high-vis vest, so even that's not sufficient on the bypass :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was the same drove by there around 6.45 myself and seen the garda there.

An Ambulance was coming up the otherside of the bypass. Probably going to turn around.

I drove back that way around 9 and the garda were still there.

Advertisement