Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand Dealers

Options
  • 21-12-2005 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I've always noticed that second hand car dealers are often cheaper and do a better deal than the main garages. Obviously they do not need to make a bigger profit. But are their other reasons behind these good deals?

Are most second hand car dealers honest? Are there any sites that can tell me peoples opinions on car dealers?

Basically I'm looking to change my car and wanted to get the very best deal I can (like everyone else). I am prepared to travel to purchase so that wouldn't bother me. Usually you'd know about your local second hand dealers but not ones in other counties.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

hawker wrote:

Are most second hand car dealers honest? Are there any sites that can tell me peoples opinions on car dealers?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but the words "Car dealer" and "honest" dont go in the same sentence. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm tempted to just post a picture of Arfur Daley. However used car sellers are like the rest of us, some are more honest than others. That said if they can get away with selling a car with say, the timing belt in need to change without telling you that important fact they will. You need to know your onions or trust to luck.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

most used car dealers will get away with what they can. bring a mechanic you trust with you when you have narrowed down your prospective cars. i would'nt believe most dealers if they told me they were lying !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Michael Fogarty anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Now now, enough of this kind of old talk. We all have to make a living you know. Car dealers are no different from any other business. Take Doctors, Auctioneers, Property developers or in fact any other business, any of these will take advantage of a situation, even, dare I say it, computer repairers, 95 euros per hour, I can only dream of such an hourly rate.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

junkyard wrote:
    ....computer repairers, 95 euros per hour, I can only dream of such an hourly rate.:rolleyes:

So can they....:D

Thats what they charge in my neck of the woods....I have the receipt.:(

junkyard wrote:
    Thats what they charge in my neck of the woods....I have the receipt.:(

If you need anything else doing let me know. :D In fact where is your neck of the woods I could do with moving there. :)

Cork, and I can be your agent for say.....80% of what you make and my computer repairs for free. This is a limited offer, terms and conditions apply.:) l

junkyard wrote:
    Cork, and I can be your agent for say.....80% of what you make and my computer repairs for free. This is a limited offer, terms and conditions apply.:) l

You lost me with cork... :D

• Advertisement

@$ Are we not good enough. I was just trying to do what most of the Dubs I know would do.;) :D:D

Advertisement