Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax office puts brakes on 'off the road' excuse

Options
  • 21-12-2005 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

From today's indo...

MOTORISTS won't be able use the excuse that their car was "off the road" to avoid paying road tax.

A new system, whereby drivers will have to continue paying road tax unless they fill in a special form, is on the way.

Until now, drivers could avoid paying tax by simply signing a declaration that their car was off the road for a given period.

Environment Minister Dick Roche said yesterday that he is considering the introduction of a system of continuous registration.

This would oblige drivers to continue paying road tax unless they fill in a statutory off-road notification.

Mr Roche said the behaviour of motorists who persistently evade motor tax was not acceptable.

The Minister yesterday disclosed that some 30pc of vehicle owners are taxing their cars online.

Since March last year it has been possible to renew motor tax online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Same as they have in the UK. Frankly, I'm for it as a tool for catching those who don't bother taxing/insuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes I agree. Its about time and still facilitates the genuine folk who have their car off the road for a period each year !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

agreed. its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MercMad wrote:
    Yes I agree. Its about time and still facilitates the genuine folk who have their car off the road for a period each year !
    Even if you're unsure if your car will be off the road for a time, that's what the three month disc is for.

I can't really see any good arguments against this, particularly now that the online system is being extended to new and newly-registered vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

From yesterday you can also tax new and imported cars online. Taxed my Japanese Import last night in less than 5 minutes. Just entered the reg number and some of the chasis number.
    How can Ireland be so hi-tech in some things but light years behind in others?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah its a great idea,japanpaul what import did u get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

was nice news to hear alright.

now to get folk paying car tax through fuel prices instead... more miles you travel the more tax ye pay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

MercMad wrote:

Who would they be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

drdre wrote:
    yeah its a great idea,japanpaul what import did u get

It's a Toyota Yaris VVTI. I owned it when I lived over there so I saved the E2500 on any vrt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm waiting for the EU to make Ire drop the VRT charge before I buy a new motor, then i'm going to import a new car from the UK just to spite overpriced Irish Car garages.

As for the offroad bit, I though thats what our local tax police, cough* i mean Traffic core Garda are for? Don't they endlessly f**k up traffic while checking for tax at the most inapropriate times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I had to fill in a form already when my TAX was up on my Mini. A section to say that the car was no longer on the road and the reason why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ciarsd wrote:

now to get folk paying car tax through fuel prices instead... more miles you travel the more tax ye pay...

now how exactly would that work? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

ciarsd wrote:

That system is already in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

ciarsd wrote:

I already pay enough tax on my petrol thanks. I want more of the tax collected from my motoring spend to go into actually making the road network better. And don't start me on driver training/testing...

'c

Savman wrote:
    now how exactly would that work? :rolleyes:

its a worked system and workable for this country.

simple. let petrol prices absorb the costs of motor tax - eliminating motor tax as we know and hate it.
    therefore, the more petrol your buying, the more your using, the more mileage you are doing (and in particular to trucks and HGV, the more damage your doing to the roads!)

De Hipster wrote:
    That system is already in use.

not in this country it aint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

ciarsd wrote:

simple. let petrol prices absorb the costs of motor tax - eliminating motor tax as we know and hate it.
    therefore, the more petrol your buying, the more your using, the more mileage you are doing (and in particular to trucks and HGV, the more damage your doing to the roads!)

Its a great idea...shame it won't happen. I drive my car at the weekends, and occasionally during the week - I don't see whay I should have to pay the same road tax as a sales rep doing 1000 miles a week, especially since its the guts of a grand a year for mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

kdevitt wrote:
    Its a great idea...shame it won't happen. I drive my car at the weekends, and occasionally during the week - I don't see whay I should have to pay the same road tax as a sales rep doing 1000 miles a week, especially since its the guts of a grand a year for mine.

A sales rep 'doing' 1000 miles a week is effectively paying more tax than you through buying extra fuel and hence paying tax on this.

A sales rep 'doing' 1000 miles a week is effectively paying more tax than you through buying extra fuel and hence paying tax on this.

...and doing more damage to the roads and emitting more co2, hence they should contribute more in road tax than I have to.

ciarsd wrote:

That's rubbish, by far the most silly suggestion I've heard. Those "trucks and HGV" just so happen to be supplying food to your local supermarket, fuel to your local fuel station and delivering mail to your very door on a 24/7 basis.

What you're basically saying is we should penalise everyday business, which in turn would end up costing you more from definite increased prices for everything as these high mileage vehicles are the mostly to keep the boody country running. We already pay tax on motors, as well as tax on fuel, you're saying there should be another tax if we choose to do "x" amount of miles in a given period?

pfff:mad:

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    That's rubbish, by far the most silly suggestion I've heard. Those "trucks and HGV" just so happen to be supplying food to your local supermarket, fuel to your local fuel station and delivering mail to your very door on a 24/7 basis.

What you're basically saying is we should penalise everyday business, which in turn would end up costing you more from definite increased prices for everything as these high mileage vehicles are the mostly to keep the boody country running. We already pay tax on motors, as well as tax on fuel, you're saying there should be another tax if we choose to do "x" amount of miles in a given period?

They can all claim their tax back as its used for their business, so they won't be out of pocket afaik.

It would work perfectly for those who choose to use their car instead of the train or bus, and should work out in or about what your annual road tax would be (assuming the annual road tax is scrapped). It won't penalise anyone, but will benefit those who don't do large mileages.

kdevitt wrote:
    It would work perfectly for those who choose to use their car instead of the train or bus.

Now you're into a different thing altogether!

<cue public transport adequacy debate>

Savman wrote:

less of the agression Savman - you clearly missed my point ;)

I never said pay 'another' tax - if you read my post again, you will find that I said, let the cost of fuel absorb motor tax, so you end up paying it (the motor tax) through the amount of fuel you consume - more miles, more tax, simple really.

And with regards to your point on trucks, do you really think they're all out on the roads making a loss every day? Get real!

:rolleyes:

kdevitt wrote:
    They can all claim their tax back as its used for their business, so they won't be out of pocket afaik.

It would work perfectly for those who choose to use their car instead of the train or bus, and should work out in or about what your annual road tax would be (assuming the annual road tax is scrapped). It won't penalise anyone, but will benefit those who don't do large mileages.

ah, someone understands my post! Thanks K.:D

ah get a room you two:rolleyes:

Is there an advanced public transport system in Ireland? Nope. If you own a car and do low mileage or hardly any at all, then why do you own a car? Because it is your right to do so. Likewise with driving, if you choose to drive all over the country for fun, you are pefectly entitled to do so without being further penalised.

Savman wrote:
    ah get a room you two:rolleyes:

Is there an advanced public transport system in Ireland? Nope. If you own a car and do low mileage or hardly any at all, then why do you own a car? Because it is your right to do so. Likewise with driving, if you choose to drive all over the country for fun, you are pefectly entitled to do so without being further penalised.

You're a ****ing idiot.

kdevitt wrote:
    You're a ****ing idiot.

That word was F U C K I N G in case you're too stupid to fill the blanks

kdevitt wrote:
    You're a ****ing idiot.

And that's a fact is it? :rolleyes:

I don't see the point in posting rubbish like that, I mean, why bother?:confused:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kdevitt wrote:
    That word was F U C K I N G in case you're too stupid to fill the blanks

Nope I got it 1st time round, unlike some...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

testicle wrote:
    From today's indo...

MOTORISTS won't be able use the excuse that their car was "off the road" to avoid paying road tax.

A new system, whereby drivers will have to continue paying road tax unless they fill in a special form, is on the way.

Until now, drivers could avoid paying tax by simply signing a declaration that their car was off the road for a given period.

Environment Minister Dick Roche said yesterday that he is considering the introduction of a system of continuous registration.

This would oblige drivers to continue paying road tax unless they fill in a statutory off-road notification.

Mr Roche said the behaviour of motorists who persistently evade motor tax was not acceptable.

The Minister yesterday disclosed that some 30pc of vehicle owners are taxing their cars online.

Since March last year it has been possible to renew motor tax online.

Not so easy as you make out bud. I had to declare a car was off road a few months ago. You have to go get it signed by the gardai too.

Advertisement