Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAP cost on UTV

• 21-12-2005 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've gone over my cap on UTV broadband. Does anyone know the price per gig for going over the 8GB limit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1.5cent per MB. Around €15 per gig. Ouch!
    Have you gone over by much?
    Do you know about the "cut off" option in your account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BuzzTrack

Gone over about a gig, sh?t. Yeah i know I could turn it off but then i'd have no internet.
    Got a new rig together and got X64 Windows, absolute nightmare nothing would work properly on it. Went back to the old XP, huge amount of downloading on updating everything again.

I'll just have to take it easy.

Thanks for lettin' me know

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I had the Cap settings set to cut me off when I reached 16GB but it continued to work and I didn't get charged. Does anyone know if this really does cut you off at your limit?

LFCFan wrote:
    I had the Cap settings set to cut me off when I reached 16GB but it continued to work and I didn't get charged. Does anyone know if this really does cut you off at your limit?
    It does cut you off alright. Friend of mine gets cut off nearly every month when he reaches the cap.
    There was some talk here before that if you leave the modem connected all the time you won't get cut off because the usage stats are only updated on disconnection or something like that.
    No such problem on my BT 24gb cap. Bust it regularly and no charge or cut off:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hmmm - my family are on the UTV 16GB capped package, and they don't enforce it on them. That said, they rarely go over the limit, but when the limit is passed, no one does or says anything.

Not that it'd be worth their while, if they did enforce it on us once, they'd lose their custom forever, and because of the phone bill that gets run up, I'd say that's some pretty good custom!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hmmm - my family are on the UTV 16GB capped package, and they don't enforce it on them. That said, they rarely go over the limit, but when the limit is passed, no one does or says anything.

Not that it'd be worth their while, if they did enforce it on us once, they'd lose their custom forever, and because of the phone bill that gets run up, I'd say that's some pretty good custom!

Straying over it is no guarantee of not being charged:rolleyes: There have been many complaints of people being charged for barely going over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

When I was on UTV I went over the limit twice and got charged for every penny of it. Thanks to smart i don`t have to worry about that silly cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I had mine set to cut off, if you leave the connection running they let it run for 1-1.5 GB downloading, no charge then......but I don't see why they shouldn't charge you if there's a set limit and you go over it........

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you go over your cap and you have it set to cut you off, you can only be blocked when you next dial in. So if you leave your modem turned on, no loss of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

MarkR wrote:
    If you go over your cap and you have it set to cut you off, you can only be blocked when you next dial in. So if you leave your modem turned on, no loss of service.

Eircoms bitstream product kicks you off every 24 hours, unless you can hack your local DSLAM. The cap is gonna get you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When I was on UTV I went over the limit twice and got charged for every penny of it. Thanks to smart i don`t have to worry about that silly cap
    Seconded.. we had a guy here in the house over the summer that exceeded the cap for the 3 months he was here and we were charged for every penny of it. I made sure he paid up though :D That and UTV's non-competive pricing, caps, and non-existent support is enough reason to get rid of em imho.

Moved to 3MB Metro since and no such problems. It was a bit flakey for a few weeks but much better for gaming and downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

TimTim wrote:
    Eircoms bitstream product kicks you off every 24 hours, unless you can hack your local DSLAM. The cap is gonna get you ;)
    it used to be and probably still is after 48hours, not 24. Every month I go over the limit by starting a download the penultimate day of the month, in the evening and then turn it off at 2355 the last day. Of course reset the connection when one starts downloading. silly cap and silly company, but the hassle of switching is too much for me.
    but by doing this there's no problem to d'l 16-20G over one's cap when properly timed, even 30G over is possible.

technically, one could reset the connection 4 days before the month is over, go crazy, then after 2 days reset the connection - the download data etc are sent to utv but the connection is not killed immediatelly. So one get a new connection valid for another 2 days and goes crazy again for 48hours when the month is then over. With ~700M per hour possible on 2mbit, this is 48*2*700 -> 67G. but I had never a need to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

BuzzTrack wrote:
    Gone over about a gig, sh?t. Yeah i know I could turn it off but then i'd have no internet.
    Got a new rig together and got X64 Windows, absolute nightmare nothing would work properly on it. Went back to the old XP, huge amount of downloading on updating everything again.

I'll just have to take it easy.

Thanks for lettin' me know

I went for the cap option and got cut off on Xmas Day, I lasted 3 Days without any Internet and rang to see if I could be switched on to check mail etc...
    The Guy said I'd be charged 1.5c per mb from the time I was reconnected so I got him to switch it back on but when I checked my bandwith usage Minuites after reconnection It tells me I'm over by 1.5gb which is estimated to cost 22 Euro.
    If I had not of got switched back on there would have been no additional charge. I should have stayed without BB for the 6 Days, or then again who would have thought UTV would cut you off on Xmas Day

Dubsmax wrote:
    I went for the cap option and got cut off on Xmas Day, I lasted 3 Days without any Internet and rang to see if I could be switched on to check mail etc...
    The Guy said I'd be charged 1.5c per mb from the time I was reconnected so I got him to switch it back on but when I checked my bandwith usage Minuites after reconnection It tells me I'm over by 1.5gb which is estimated to cost 22 Euro.
    If I had not of got switched back on there would have been no additional charge. I should have stayed without BB for the 6 Days, or then again who would have thought UTV would cut you off on Xmas Day

Far be it from me to defend UTV but I assume they have an automated system in place to handle this - I doubt if there is some Scrooge like figure sitting there just waiting to pounce although with UTV's notorious mean spirited attitude..................

dub45 wrote:
    Far be it from me to defend UTV but I assume they have an automated system in place to handle this - I doubt if there is some Scrooge like figure sitting there just waiting to pounce although with UTV's notorious mean spirited attitude..................

For the sake of a few Gigs you would thing they would let there caps run over especiallly when there is no customer service to answer calls over Xmas, after been with UTV for over 2 years now and often leaving 7Gigs unused I'm not impressed....
    But I will let the Boards know how I get on.....

Lots of options out there now.......

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It is a business, even over christmas. Visa will still charge you over christmas, can't see why UTV shouldn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    UTV's non-competive pricing, caps, and non-existent support is enough reason to get rid of em imho.

UTV still offer the cheapest residential DSL package of them all, when it comes to caps you get what you pay for!

And their tech support is the best ISP tech support I have ever encountered. The person at the other end is always competent, its always answered quickly and they've never been unable to resolve my issues quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

UTV still offer the cheapest residential DSL package of them all, when it comes to caps you get what you pay for!

What are you smoking/using???

As we are talking of just DSL....BT are the cheapest Bitstream with Smart being even cheaper using LLU!

Please do your math before you even think of replying to this rebuke!!!

I don't know about the cheapest, IOL are offering BB + Line rental for 40 with 12gb a month.....

Where as UTV are 30 for BB alone and when you put line rental on top that makes it 55 with only 8gb a month.....

Not the best Deal around, but I do agree about there customer service I always found them spot on....

Maybe there will be a new package in the new Year to compete with BT..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Dubsmax wrote:

The reason it is higher than the cap is that it doesn't disconnect when you reach the cap, only after the cap is exceeded, your session ends and is calculated (done at midnight).

From what the voice on the phone said you should only be charged the useage after it was switched back on but who knows what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i've gone over my utv 8gig cap a few times in the last 6 or 7 months...most i was over was about 1.5gigs....never been charged....only for their good phone package i'd be movin....gf does ALOT of talkin..:rolleyes:

Gryzor wrote:
    i've gone over my utv 8gig cap a few times in the last 6 or 7 months...most i was over was about 1.5gigs....never been charged....only for their good phone package i'd be movin....gf does ALOT of talkin..:rolleyes:

Buy a lottery ticket immediateily!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Gryzor wrote:

I have read at least one instance, HERE, of UTV returning to OLD customers who no longer subscribe to their services and looking for monies owed to them 6 or 12 months previous!!!

This has not happened, to the best of my knowledge, to ex BT/eircom customers!!

Be very wary indeed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I have always been charged for going over the utv cap. Generally about 15 euro for just over a gig over.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The person at the other end is always competent, its always answered quickly and they've never been unable to resolve my issues quickly.

Its amazing how so many people have so many varying experiences with UTV.

I've found customer support to be desperate - if they don't know the answer then that's that and the problem is with your non-UTV equipment. If they do know the answer for sure the problem is with their upstream provider.

My attitude to them now is that they are cheap and if people ask I'll tell them they're cheap and that they can get free calls with UTV Talk but don't go looking for support...

zuma wrote:
    I have read at least one instance, HERE, of UTV returning to OLD customers who no longer subscribe to their services and looking for monies owed to them 6 or 12 months previous!!!

This has not happened, to the best of my knowledge, to ex BT/eircom customers!!

Be very wary indeed!!!

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!" :D
    Calibos wrote:
    I have always been charged for going over the utv cap. Generally about 15 euro for just over a gig over.

is it an extra entry on your bill....just double checked my last 5 or 6 bills bills....definitely no charges for going over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gryzor wrote:
    ..........is it an extra entry on your bill....just double checked my last 5 or 6 bills bills....definitely no charges for going over...

cap1ei.gif

interesting....there may be a bill on the way to me then...:(

Calibos wrote:
    cap1ei.gif

My Advance subscription charges are only 29.99 a month, it looks like you are being over charged there too. Or are ya getting combined line rental with BB for 41.99??

• Advertisement

Dubsmax wrote:
    My Advance subscription charges are only 29.99 a month, it looks like you are being over charged there too. Or are ya getting combined line rental with BB for 41.99??
    He's probably on the 2mb package without the UTV Talk option.

Advertisement