Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the future of the G8-The 7 richest countries plus Russia

Options
  • 21-12-2005 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Considering that China is continuing to grow econmically and will match the USA econmically by 2012 shouldnt it not be accepted into the G8. Also, there seems to be a lot more countries starting to really develop econmically. eg India, Brasil and others.

My question is, if those countries outstrip the USA and other leading industralised nations shouldnt they be admitted into the G8 and some of the other nations (eg Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and Russia) be kicked out ?

I think it will be a good day for the world when China meets the USA econmically. It will bring a more balanced world and stablity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Dont they just expand it? It used to be the G6 at one stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I just wonder what happens when the likes of China, India and maybe Brasil in a while start to really push on and eclipse the G8. What will the number stop at ? the G10, G15, G20? And what kind of world will we live in in 20-50 years time.

The world economy is starting to develop and the old world order of North America and Europe might not be the force it once was. Gone are the day when just a few nations drove the entire world economy. The developed western nations dicated the world view since they were the wealthiest.

There is nothing to stop these developing nations in putting forward their own world view which is pretty different to the current USA (W.A.S.P elite) view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The definition of what makes a leading economy will be altered to 'per capita' income. then China, India etc will never get in!

Mike.

Do you not think that the world is moving on without America ? Anytime I see a world trade summit there seems to be a world global consensus but America sticks out like a sore thumb. A bit like England and the rest of Europe. In my opinion its the W.A.S.P's world view that is out of sync with everyone else.

The G8 should be reformed in the next decade to reflect the changing world we live in. Also, I donk think per capita is a fair reflection. Although China's population is set to fall considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

mike65 wrote:
    The definition of what makes a leading economy will be altered to 'per capita' income. then China, India etc will never get in!
    If that's the case then they'll have to let in countries like Ireland, singapore, norway luxemburg, iceland, switzerland, monaco etc.

Who all eclipse the USA in this regard. So no, I don't think that will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Maybe they will look at Europe as one economic region,the country's in the Euro at least.Therefore freeing up a few places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe they will look at Europe as one economic region,the country's in the Euro at least.Therefore freeing up a few places.

*Jacques chokes on a baguette*

Mike.

The european union already sits with the group. You can see on the map here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G8 that most of the green is in the northern hemisphere.

India and china both believe that they will be super powers sometime in the early part of this century. By right both should be in the G8.

Does anyone belive that the western world will lose some of its grip in the coming decades to other nations of a different world view ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

China is hyped up no end tbh. The day when it is the worlds biggest market is spoken of with a mixture of awe and dread - it was the worlds biggest market back in 1820, and continued to be until the US overtook it in the 1880s. Since about 1895 up until the 1950s war was raging in some part of China - primarily Japanese adventures, hence the bitterness there. They committed economic and cultural suicide with Mao and his Red Guards. China is not so much growing, as recovering from a long decline. It deserves a place in the GX, but lets not forget back in the 1980s the screams were "The Japanese are coming!!!, The Japanese are coming!!!!" Didnt really pan out, did it?

And beyond the raw numbers, China is in a far worse position than Europe, let alone the US. Social unrest is rising as the poor in the interior see the coastal elites getting rich whilst they remain in peasant poverty. Let alone the collapse of the Communist Party leadership which will happen sooner or later if the economy continues to grow/expand. And theres still the possibility, given the nationalism over the issue, that a Taiwanese adventure might occur which would be bad for all concerned.
    I think it will be a good day for the world when China meets the USA econmically. It will bring a more balanced world and stablity.

Yup. Like the good old Cold War days with their multitude of proxy wars and dictatorships that are still causing problems today. Great days afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Economic Superiority will lead to future wars over finite resources. Just look at Iraq, as we have no major resource except the Rain and Guinness we should be okay.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    Economic Superiority will lead to future wars over finite resources. Just look at Iraq, as we have no major resource except the Rain and Guinness we should be okay.

Wrong we have enough wind energy to power 110% of our electricity needs, never mind wave technology.
    Yup. Like the good old Cold War days with their multitude of proxy wars and dictatorships that are still causing problems today. Great days afterall.

China seems to want to be on good standing with most countries. It was the european who sold them Heroine. Personally I think it will be a good move when China gets accepted into the G8 (of course as a democracy)

China will have to get into the G8 in the next ten years. Otherwise it will lose it's relevance as a coming together of the worlds economic powers. I think Brazil and India will also be in within the next 25 years.

Advertisement