Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are U2 the worst band of the last 20 years?

Options
  • 21-12-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I don't know, they're worse than Simply Red, that's for sure. Bono's a gimp, the hedge is crap, the other two are surplus to requirements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Humour forum >>>>>> that way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Yes, thats why they have sold millions of albums, sell out any concert they ever play, why other bands strive to have their success, why they have albums in the top 100 of all time, why they are in the paper almost every day, why they have one of the biggest fan bases in the world, why any album they release is a success etc :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Well done joe, lets just say that the bait worked !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Mods, admin,
    Please close this sorta crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Westlife have had similiar success, doesn't really mean much.

• Advertisement

No they havent.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Are you joking?? U2 have been around for 20+ years, the play their own musical instruments, westlife have been around less then 10 years and use computers to make them sing properly.... Ask Brian McFadden to play a guitar and he'd probably faint!

They've had something like 13 No.1 singles, way more than Boner 's boys. Sell out tours etc. Just remember Bros were big in the 80's. Who'll be listening to U2 in 20/30 years? Nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

They've had something like 13 No.1 singles, way more than Boner 's boys. Sell out tours etc. Just remember Bros were big in the 80's. Who'll be listening to U2 in 20/30 years? Nobody.

Everybody will!!!! Would westlife sell out croke park three nights in a row?? No, because their fans wouldn't be allowed out past 8pm!!

Croke Park was full of people who go to one gig in their lives. they think "duh U2 are playing I must go cos they're supposed to be great", let's rush out and get tickets. Same people who go to Riverdance and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

LOL in UK and Ireland maybe where as U2 it is worldwide, huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

BolBill wrote:
    Well done joe, lets just say that the bait worked !!!!!!

Yeah I know, I knew while I was writing it that I was being trolled, I didnt really care though. Not worth the steam off my piss really

Croke Park was full of people who go to one gig in their lives. they think "duh U2 are playing I must go cos they're supposed to be great", let's rush out and get tickets. Same people who go to Riverdance and the like.

I wonder which one of the previous banned posters you are??(posting from intcaf I p

Lets play a game , Can anyone guess????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh yeah, got to love the old "My band makes more money than your band, ergo are better" routine. :rolleyes:

Well that's a solid argument, isn't it chaps?

Quite frankly, I would rank U2 as one of the worst bands of all time, not just the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, there's corporate musical entities that are far worse to actually listen to than U2, but they're usually forgotten by the masses the second the next corporate musical entity comes along, whereas for some unknown reason, U2 still seem to be around year after year, and that alone is a far bigger annoyance.

It's sad to think that we once had legendary bands like Thin Lizzy hailing from Ireland, but all we have going for us now is U2 and Westlife. Depressing though indeed. :(

Oh yeah, got to love the old "My band makes more money than your band, ergo are better" routine. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, I would rank U2 as one of the worst bands of all time, not just the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, there's corporate musical entities that are far worse to actually listen to than U2, but they're usually forgotten by the masses the second the next corporate musical entity comes along, whereas for some unknown reason, U2 still seem to be around year after year, and that alone is a far bigger annoyance.

It's sad to think that we once had legendary bands like Thin Lizzy hailing from Ireland, but all we have going for us now is U2 and Westlife. Depressing though indeed. :(

Mr Hungus, is you in a windup mood today???:v:

Mr Hungus, is you in a windup mood today???:v:

Windup? No, I genuinely think U2 are terrible. I just cannot stomach hearing the exact same two notes being played over and over again, and beefed up through a delay pedal to make it sound as if something more is being played. It's just grating to listen to the exact same thing over and over ad absurdum.

Windup? No, I genuinely think U2 are terrible. I just cannot stomach hearing the exact same two notes being played over and over again, and beefed up through a delay pedal to make it sound as if something more is being played. It's just grating to listen to the exact same thing over and over ad absurdum.

So thats were Metal bands get their influence then!:D

only pulling your leg brother.,.,.,.,.,.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

What sort of a plonker are you?
    Obviously they're not the worst band.
    I'm not a U2 fan and being a musician I'm very critical, yes the Edge isn't the best guitarist, so what? Adam Clayton isn't a great bassist, but he can play hundreds of gigs and always have a decent sound....

Technicall none of them are amazing but they gel and make some decent music and plenty of money as well!

Everyone has an opinion and mine is that U2 are a pretty good band and have made some good tunes over the years so they certainly aren't the worst band in the world.

I'd love to hear some music from the lads that are so critical though...

Links welcome! ;)

Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

have to agree with joe there.
    No they are not the worst band at all. I admit they wouldnt be anywhere near top for musical ability, there songs are ok and bono is a twat but look at what theyve done as joe pointed out, they release catchy songs written well. I think there older stuff would obviously be the better stuff but some of the new stuff still catches my attention and i do enjoy listening to it.
    I admit i probably wouldnt buy an album but then i wouldnt buy the strokes, thrills or pretty much anything poppy that is released at the moment. All crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bono's a gimp,
    Really? when did he have the accident?

Can you really not think of a band you would think are worse? You would really prefer to listen to "im a barbie girl" over any U2 songs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

U2 blow chunks.

and that's the truth coz Maccattack sed so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So are you saying that U2 are the worst band you've ever heard or that they annoy you more than any other band because you don't particularly care for them but have to hear their stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

in the last 5 years they've been bad but not in the last 20 years , they had some great albums in the 80's and early 90's, Joshua tree & Actung baby were class and i always liked their first album "Boy", but they have disappointed in the last couple of years, im not a U2 fan, bono does my head in but i wouldnt even say U2's latest albums make them the worst band in the world there's plenty of bands that are worse, what about this new wave buzz everyone is on at the moment?, it does my head in, The killers are Sh*te, Athlete are worse, The magic numbers (muck) the list could go on, there are many bands worse than U2. One question i always ask to myself when listening to new albums by "established" bands is: Would this current material have got them signed in the beginning? With U2's latest offerings they would be lucky to get pub gigs on sunday nights

Earthhorse wrote:
    So are you saying that U2 are the worst band you've ever heard or that they annoy you more than any other band because you don't particularly care for them but have to hear their stuff?

I'm saying they annoy me more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I wouldn't be a fan but I think they certainly are a great band. It's still just the four of them jamming in a room when it comes to writing tunes. They're huge and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them any of their success at all, they've worked like dogs to get where they are. So they aren't the most technical players, big wow! More importantly they've been consistently creative with what they've got over the last 25 years. You may not like them and that's fine, but not respecting what they've achieved is Irish begrudgery at it's pettiest.

As I said, they wouldn't be my cup of tea but to say they they are the "worst band" just reeks of ignorance tbh :rolleyes:

Troll on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Doctor J wrote:
    but not respecting what they've achieved is Irish begrudgery at it's pettiest.

Troll on!

No it isnt it is deeply incitefull people stating clear and in-escapable fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Oh right... my bad :v:

Doctor J wrote:
    You may not like them and that's fine, but not respecting what they've achieved is Irish begrudgery at it's pettiest.

Oh come on now, I give respect where it's due, and I would certainly not respect the band, but it's hardly begrudgery at all, ever mind petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Maccattack wrote:
    No it isnt it is deeply incitefull people stating clear and in-escapable fact.

I like this guy :v:

Nah, U2 are incredibly boring, overrated, overhyped and overpaid.
    I just can't understand what the attraction is.

And that's IMO, of course (before the pious start ripping me to shreds).

• Advertisement

Here is a far superior band to U2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement