Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are U2 the worst band of the last 20 years?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ancient1 wrote:
    What bugs the hell out of me is that some people think that U2 are beyond criticism just because they're huge.

They're not.

You're right, they're not beyond criticism but they're also not the worst band of the last 20 years, nor anything close. They started doing the same **** gigs as every other Dublin band but are one of the few who actually made a good fist of it, limited musicians that they are :v:

Dublin is a pox-hole if you're in a band and always has been. Fair ****ing play to them, I say :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

most over rated band ever my friends adores them sames 2 notes from the edge every song cant stand them

Same two posts from you too, Edge Jnr :v:

Did you see what I did there?

they are definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Doctor J wrote:

Smackdown?

:v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Whatever your opinion might be of them, there's no way they're the worst Irish band. There were plenty of bands that were successful but total ****e. "The Thrills" with their one song album being one example.

Ahhh The Thrills... now there's a band I feel comfortable insulting :v:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Doctor J wrote:

this made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

why all the musical snobbery
    U2 are easy to listen to, they make simple, direct (if repetitive) music - yet because of this everyone thinks they are unworthy of their success.
    they are no where near the worst band of the last 20 years - that's the kind of junk that's said merely to attract attention - but they're not the best either. it's all relative, one person's favorite band is another's least favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Doctor J wrote:

Nah, it was one post. He just put it through a delay pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Earthhorse wrote:
    Nah, it was one post. He just put it through a delay pedal.

Now that's funny :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

joejoem wrote:
    Yes, thats why they have sold millions of albums, sell out any concert they ever play, why other bands strive to have their success, why they have albums in the top 100 of all time, why they are in the paper almost every day, why they have one of the biggest fan bases in the world, why any album they release is a success etc :rolleyes:

Music is a matter of personal preference.....These statistics dont really change my opinion on U2...In honesty i cannot justify their fame based on what i have heard of their music...ad Doctor J said earlier "one of the few who actually made a good fist of it, limited musicians that they are". I believe they are very limited. Carrying through the exact same guitar style (and often notes,pitch and solo's) into every single song shows that as famous as they are they are not groundbreaking. they are the most famous irish band in the history of irish music but pale in comparison even to some modern acts...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    using your same logic joejoem--->

santana = sold millions of albums...I think he is ****e...

the beatles = legendary...i f*cking hate them...

jimi hendrix = legendary....i cant stand his music...

aqua (song = barbie girl) = sold a skipload of albums...they are f*cking sh!te..

2manyDJ's = widely regarded as awesome...i find their stuff repetitive and shallow...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hahahah!
    Best Thread Ever
    U2 suck almighty Balls
    And don't even get me started on Bono.....

What do you people expect from a bunch of old farts hitting fifty? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Alrighty, have a look here, and check out some of the mp3s. Amazing band altogether, and mainman Andy Latimer was a phenominal guitarist, vocalist and songwriter. Listen to the song Lady Fantasy, which should be the first mp3 there, and you'll see what I mean.

ok thanks. will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Judging by the posts I think we have a winner. Yes U2 are crap and the worst band of the last 20 years. Just cos they're Irish doesn't mean we have to like them. As for the begrudgery issue...rubbish. Bono has admiited himself that he's bewildered by their continued success. Let's remember, Robbie Williams is the biggest solo artist of the last 10 years.

Are you suggesting that Robbie Williams is good?

No, he's crap. Music for the masses. I'm saying success does not equate to greatness.

I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in the lab coming up with this formula :v:

Define greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

• Advertisement

greatness=timeless, does not equal U2. Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Smiths, Bowie, Van Morrison, Nick Drake, VU et al...it's quite a simple concept really. U2 are up there with Busted, Stereophonics, Simple Minds...instant crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I just can't get over people drawing a comparison between U2 and Westlife. U2=Artists Westlife= Piss Artists.

U2 are where they are because they have consistently produced memorable songs over a 20 yr period. Westlife are a bunch of pretty-boys peddling bland key-changey kack to kids who don't know any better. And don't get me started on the videos. A bunch of gimps standing on a cliff with their arms out. Don't forget to look smoulderingly into the camera so that all those 12 yr old girls will dream about marrying you when they grow up and in the meantime will buy up all your karaoke pooh. /rant

Ah, that feels better. Back on topic, U2 are where they are because they're good. The Edge may not be the best guitarist in the world, and Bono may be a muppet, but all of them put together have a synergy that makes the band much more than the sum of its parts.

greatness=timeless, does not equal U2. Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Smiths, Bowie, Van Morrison, Nick Drake, VU et al...it's quite a simple concept really. U2 are up there with Busted, Stereophonics, Simple Minds...instant crap.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha they've been instant for the last 25 years now, longer than the Smiths... tell me, when was the last time Bowie did anything that didn't suck balls. Dude, you've got to put your Mojo magazine down now :v:

Oh,
    I'm saying success does not equate to greatness.

Going on this fantastic logic, you agree you are probably wrong assuming you were right because a volume of posters agreed with you, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they're not the worst band... but they're not good either.

The Smiths B-sides are superior to any U2 song. Four classic albums in 4 years. That's genius for you. As for Bowie, everything since Scary Monsters is crap but his 70's albums speak for themselves. You could take all U2's songs and struggle to make one classic album that compares to either of the above.

I dunno, I'd say their performance at Live Aid alone was fairly timeless... a classic, if you will. Not up there with Queen's set, personally, but there you go.

Yeah Queen wiped their asses with U2 at Live Aid. Nobody can do it like Freddie. Bono probably thinks he can but then again he thinks he's God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

greatness=timeless, does not equal Nick Drake, .

Nick drake died [fool/] more than 20 years ago [ fool], why is he being brought into this...
    Another bad word about him and your going to get a bleedin straightner.....;-/

Read the post again fool.

• Advertisement

He has a point. If the last good thing Bowie did, as you suggest, was released in 1980, surely he is the worst of the last 20 years since he has a full five extra years of suckiness over U2?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement