Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SuSE problems

• 21-12-2005 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭

I have a PC with two WD raptor 74GB harddrives, and one 60GB maxtor. I have Windows XP x64 installed on the primary raptor (C:\) and SuSE Linux on the Maxtor (G:\). I know that the SuSE drive should be invisible in Windows, and that I should be able to see and access both the other (NTFS) drives from SuSE. I stored all my music on the secondary raptor (F:\) while I was formatting G: to install Linux. Now I can't access this drive (F:\) from SuSE. It appears in the file manager as ///data, I think, but clicking on it brings up an error, saying it can't access "data". The Windows drive is fully accessible from Linux.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

NTFS support in Windows is dodgy at best. If you want to use a shared partition like that, I would recommend formatting the partition you want to use to FAT32. True, you're then stuck with the limitations of a 10 year old file system, but at least you can be sure your data integrity is sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I thought windows was natively NTFS? Anyway, the drive is visible and accessible from Windows, it's visible but inaccessible from SuSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IceHawk wrote:
    I thought windows was natively NTFS?
    D'oh, meant Linux.

Is the drive mounted in Linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, I'd suspect that it's not mounted properly.

Find out the name of the drive and try to mount it manually (as root)

I think the command is:

mount -t ntfs -ro <drive dir> <mount dir>

I'm a bit rusty though. Would you like this in the unix forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Yeah, mounted and visible, just inaccessible. Also, there's no problem viewing my C drive, which is also NTFS.

EDIT: Yeah, Unix forum would probably be the best place for it. Didn't see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ok, moving to unix.....try unmounting and remounting it (again as root, or with sudo).

Advertisement