Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it fair to leave a dog alone all day?

• 21-12-2005 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I work during the day, and would love to get a dog, but haven't done so as it seemed cruel to me to leave a dog alone all day. Someone said to me recently that an older small dog might not present such a problem. If I were to do so, I'd look for a dog from one of the shelters, and would give it a very good home.
    Thanks
    <edit: I am experienced with dogs>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Some rescues may not home a dog with you because you are out working all day.

We had a single dog on her own while we were at work we had someone who came in and walked her twice a day for 20 minutes, but we felt she lacked company so we got a second dog in October and have to say she is so much happier with a friend to play with.

The are dog walking facilities where people will come in and walk your dog while you are out at work and you pay them. It breaks up the day for the dog and gives them human interaction

I guess you have to ask yourself would you like to be left on your own for up to 8 hours with no company etc. for most the answer would be no, so take it the same applies to dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I wouldn't leave a single dog on its own all day, there's only so much he could do to keep himself entertained. I'd go for 2 adult dogs instead, they'd keep each other company during the day and you take them for walks morning and evening. Alternatively, get 2 cats:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi - definitely is very bad idea to leave a dog on their own all day. Just because they are older [not as active] or smaller [so don't need as much room] doesn't mean that they are not going to be miserable all day long.

- On the other hand caring for two dogs is very nearly the same as managing one. Feed them at the same time, exercise together etc. Plus you have the two of them entertaining each other all day long while you slave for the Corporation ;)

Our guy used to be on his own for a short time due to circumstances and it just aint right to have a socialable little pack animal fret away by themselves all day long......He now has a little terrier wife and they make a fine couple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

yeah have to agree I never had a dog until this year always kept cats and would never have a single cat so guess the same applies to dogs. Our first dog was hard work cause it was our first dog ever and you learn from your mistakes but having the 2nd dog has been nothing extra besides food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I had the same dilemma, my boyfriend and I got a small terrier earlier this year even though we both work during the day. We both try really hard to make sure he has all the exercise and attention he needs but even still I do worry about him during the day. We walk him in the mornings before work, and make sure he has plenty of water, toys etc for when we are gone. We spend a lot of time in the evenings and at weekends playing with him and taking him for long walks. I suppose we decided that he could still be happy and well adjusted if he was in a particular routine-and he seems to be. I would prefer to be around more during the day but for the forseeable future we both need to be out at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I had a single dog home alone but used a dog walking service but thought that wasn't enough so got a second companion doggie so they are good company for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 AnonymousBloke

thanks for the replies/opinions..as i said, if i was to do this i'd take a rescue dog who might not otherwise find a good home. seems like the ideal would be two dogs..or perhaps a dog and a cat (with the right dog of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

my 2 are both rescues - my cat tends to sleep all day upstairs on a bed so isn't really any company for the dogs so a dog would probably provide better company for another dog than a cat would if you get me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

our dog, a golden retriever, gets exremely lonely when left on her own for any length of time..she rambles then to occupy herself..so I would say its best to try and spend as much time as possible with your pooch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I think it's a great idea to take a dog from a shelter but I really think it shouldn't be alone on it's own all day.

Two dogs sounds great for keeping each other company.

PLEASE dont leave one dog on it's own all day I REALLY dont think it's fair on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Dogs are pack animals. They need company and need to be stimulated. To leave a dog on it's own all day is a bit cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 AnonymousBloke

I'm not going to get a dog, so no worries. If I were, I'd get two to keep each other company. Thanks for the replies though.

Advertisement