Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City bin collection charges up again.

Options
  • 21-12-2005 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The annual levy for collection goes up to 120 euro next year while the cost per grey bin rises a whopping €1.50 to €7.50 a lift! The green and brown
    bins are the same (1.50). No doubt the rise will be linked to the closure of the Kilbarry facility and the costs of transporting waste to Carlow.

What was that about having 40 million in the coffers?

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    The annual levy for collection goes up to 120 euro next year while the cost per grey bin rises a whopping €1.50 to €7.50 a lift! The green and brown
    bins are the same (1.50). No doubt the rise will be linked to the closure of the Kilbarry facility and the costs of transporting waste to Carlow.

What was that about having 40 million in the coffers?

Mike.

Thats slightly incorrect Mike. The Black bin or grey one as you refer to it as, is indeed been increased but its not going up from €1.50 to €7.50. That bin was always €6.00

There is also going to be increases in Parking charges. These are been increased from €1.20 to €1.40 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leonard, read my post again. Carefully this time! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    Leonard, read my post again. Carefully this time! :D

Mike.

Oh ****e Yeah. Sorry Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

€7.50 is such a rip off on top of the yearly charge.
    How much does the rest of the country pay?
    I have no idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JPA wrote:
    €7.50 is such a rip off on top of the yearly charge.
    How much does the rest of the country pay?
    I have no idea.

In fairness if you sort your rubiish correctly you'll have VERY little going into the gray/black bin.

While its alot, I think people who don't sort their rubbish deserve to pay more.

The street up from where I live has atleast 5 bins that are not collected every run because people are too retarted to realise they shouldn't put glass/paper into the gray/black bin.....and these are only the bins that people left the affending items on the top of the bin so the rubbish men were able to see they did'ent sort their stuff.

I'm sure there's plenty of "smart" people who make sure they leave glass/paper at the end or middle of the bin and just through random stuff ontop of it...these people deserved to be heavily fined!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    In fairness if you sort your rubiish correctly you'll have VERY little going into the gray/black bin.

While its alot, I think people who don't sort their rubbish deserve to pay more.

The street up from where I live has atleast 5 bins that are not collected every run because people are too retarted to realise they shouldn't put glass/paper into the gray/black bin.....and these are only the bins that people left the affending items on the top of the bin so the rubbish men were able to see they did'ent sort their stuff.

I'm sure there's plenty of "smart" people who make sure they leave glass/paper at the end or middle of the bin and just through random stuff ontop of it...these people deserved to be heavily fined!

But they say you can put anything in the black bin. Stuff doesn't have to be sorted. Not saying that I do that or anything..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JPA wrote:
    But they say you can put anything in the black bin. Stuff doesn't have to be sorted. Not saying that I do that or anything..

No you can't, ANYTHING does not include
    - paper
    - cans
    - plastic
    - organic material
    etc

If the bin men see items such as glass or cans in a black bin then they;ll stick a sticker on it and they won't take the rubbish :)

Cabaal wrote:
    No you can't, ANYTHING does not include
    - paper
    - cans
    - plastic
    - organic material
    etc

If the bin men see items such as glass or cans in a black bin then they;ll stick a sticker on it and they won't take the rubbish :)

Well they say if you're unsure put it in the black bin so that allows for anything. If you put the wrong thing in the green or brown bin they won't take it but not the other way around AFAIK.

JPA wrote:
    Well they say if you're unsure put it in the black bin so that allows for anything. If you put the wrong thing in the green or brown bin they won't take it but not the other way around AFAIK.

Your more then welcome to check with the council or infact better yet, I suggest you place loads of cans and glass and paper at the top of your black bin next time you leave it out.....see if they pick it up ;)

I'm sure your correct and they'll empty it for you :rolleyes:
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

It happened to me before , there was a sticker on the bin and the items that were'nt supposed to be there were ticked off with a warning if they caught me again there would be a fine , and the binmen themselves dont check it ,there is actually someone out there whose job it is is to go around rummaging in peoples bins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

If you can't be bothered to reduce the amount of waste you produce then expect to pay for the privilege. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

meldrew wrote:
    It happened to me before , there was a sticker on the bin and the items that were'nt supposed to be there were ticked off with a warning if they caught me again there would be a fine , and the binmen themselves dont check it ,there is actually someone out there whose job it is is to go around rummaging in peoples bins
    Waterford's answer to MI5. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've seen it happen. They dress all black with balaclavas arriving and leaving in a black helicopter in silent mode!

Mike.

No actually they travel in jeeps and call themselves "environmental officers" and in the summer they have students doing it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bah, there goes the illusion of tomahawk helicoters doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

a lot of plastic items are not recycleable..

same goes for aeroslos etc. even though they have the recycleable logo on them you cannot put these into the green bin...

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/environment/greenbin.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

The council also will take away a number of bins and do spot checks and if they find anything in the green or brown bin (don't know about grey) you will get a €60 fine. It was reported in the local papers and on WLRfm a couple of months ago. If milk cartons etc are not washed but are in the correct bin you'll still get fined

Talk about a nazi style state. :(

thank christ i have free rubbish pickup where anything can go into the bin

Bond-007 wrote:
    Talk about a nazi style state. :(

Yeah god forbid we might actually give a **** about the enviroment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

"a lot of plastic items are not recycleable..

same goes for aeroslos etc. even though they have the recycleable logo on them you cannot put these into the green bin..."

This is the crux of the matter, you think you are doing something right by recycling and then you see some plastic has to go in the black bin. This is put in the ground, takes thousands of years to break it down, is that being friendly to the environment?

Cabaal wrote:
    Yeah god forbid we might actually give a **** about the enviroment
    To quote Bart Simpson
    Aw, recycling is useless, Lis. Once the sun burns out, this planet is doomed. You're just making sure we spend our last days using inferior products.

I tend to agree with Bart on this one.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    thank christ i have free rubbish pickup where anything can go into the bin
    Where do you live ? I did'nt think we still had that kind of freedom in the city

Bond-007 wrote:
    To quote Bart Simpson

I tend to agree with Bart on this one.

Brilliant!
    So you won't mind my plans to open a dump at the back of your house,

Sure it won't matter to you cause the earths doomed anyway :v:

meldrew wrote:
    Where do you live ? I did'nt think we still had that kind of freedom in the city
    my apartment block

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Mossy Monk wrote:
    my apartment block

The great thing about apartments. :)

Advertisement