Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In debt on a Laser account..?

Options
  • 21-12-2005 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 3rd Level Student account with BOI, and have a Laser card.
    I managed to over-spend by 100 euro (No big deal, I actually have the cash here but im too lazy to go into the bank). Just wondering, there'll be no repurcussions if I dont pay this back for a week or two would there? I shouldnt be expecting any phone calls from the bank or any of that lark? I've often gotten in small debt (10 or 20 euro) but it was always rectified within days.. just wondering will it be ok to leave myself in debt of 100 euro for a week or two

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Generally what happens is that the Bank will send around the heavies and they take your knee caps as payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Grand, sure they can have my kidneys... XMas special, the 2 for the price of 1 :p

:rolleyes:

Typical student ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

They can charge you overdraft +.65% rates on it, and €4 for every tranaction that you are in debt for. Thats a current account, not sure of the student accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

JohnCleary wrote:
    I have a 3rd Level Student account with BOI, and have a Laser card.
    I managed to over-spend by 100 euro (No big deal, I actually have the cash here but im too lazy to go into the bank). Just wondering, there'll be no repurcussions if I dont pay this back for a week or two would there? I shouldnt be expecting any phone calls from the bank or any of that lark? I've often gotten in small debt (10 or 20 euro) but it was always rectified within days.. just wondering will it be ok to leave myself in debt of 100 euro for a week or two

We've all been students so I won't preach, and I was just the same.

However when I went for my first loan 15 years ago, for a car that I desperately wanted more than anything else in the whole wide world :rolleyes: (if you remember when you were 18!), I got a bit of a kick in the ass when the lady in the bank said 'No'

"Why?" ... I asked.

She replied... "I'll be diplomatic.... your account is hardly in Premiership condition"

So bottom line is that you might think you're getting one over on the bank, but they always win out, so if you have the money to pay off your debt, you might as well do it now.
    They keep a 'credit score' on you at all times, so if you are over your limit or abusing your laser card terms and conditions, then you are going to 'score badly'.
    It will only count against you when you need the bank for money....not worth it pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Nuttzz wrote:
    They can charge you overdraft +.65% rates on it, and €4 for every tranaction that you are in debt for. Thats a current account, not sure of the student accounts

Not to mention the fixed penalty for unathorised overdraft, about €25 AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I dont think fees are enforced on a student account, however the subject of "bad scoring" is one ive been thinking about, as I know banks keep a record of everything. I think ill just put the 100euro in tomorrow for an easy life.. I hate being in debt :)

Culchie wrote:
    She replied... "I'll be diplomatic.... your account is hardly in Premiership condition"

But the premiership only started in 92 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

donot worry that small debt,im a student and in a few grand debt

Advertisement