Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT dns problems

• 21-12-2005 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

Hey Ive been having dns problems with esat lately (I think). Every so often I just cant browse the net using normal websites, I have to browse using the IP. Things like IRC/Azureus/games all work but firefox/IE/msn dont work at all. Im gonna get on to esat today but before that I was wondering if anyone here has any tips? Changing my dns server or something? I hate ringing their god damn customer support so Im gonna try leave that til last :)

Thanks

edit: Im on Esat BT Plus, cant ping anything while this is happening. The DSL lights, the 10/100M lights and the ACT light all flash when this happens but sometimes they dont. Router is the standard Zyxel Pestige 600.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

bumpt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Try setting the DNS servers manually in the TCP/IP properties for the network connection. You can find them on BT's support site. I can't get internet access without setting them manually and it has never faild since I've done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yeah, I've been having the same problem. My router is configured to automatically find dynamic ones, but sometimes (I noticed when my router has been on more than a day or so) I get the error that FunkyChicken described.

If you autodiscover your DNS, will it be different to: 194.125.2.240 & 194.125.2.241 ?

I might put them in manually too if it will stop the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

the modem is a POS, just turn it off/press the reset button at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

parasite wrote:
    the modem is a POS, just turn it off/press the reset button at the back

My thoughts exactly :mad: :eek: :mad:

I set the DNS through winxp as:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I set the DNS manually in my router and I still get this problem. Is there anyway to fix it without doing your DNS settings on every computer on the network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its a common problem related (normally) to using p2p apps.

most dsl modems track tcp connections for x amount of time, and this usually doesn't cause a problem, but when you use p2p apps they fill up the capacity of the modem to track connections, and so you end up with only being able to browse directly by ip address as dns requests end up getting dropped. no dns, no www.anything

thats the way i understand it anyway.

it's particuarly bad for linksys router users (such as myself) as the linksys routers by default track tcp connections for something like 5 days, a particuarly long time in 'tinterweb land' when using p2p apps.

some routers/modems have settings that can be changed to fix this, but you need to find a good support site for your hardware to find out if it's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

You hit the nail right on the head there!

If u suffer from a "DNS" problem you will not be able to access anything that isnt an IP. So if IRC/Azureus/Games all work its not DNS.
    As the man said you are suffering from ports failing on the router.
    However access HTTP ports via IP address allows it to work.

If you turn your router off and on does it continue to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

This happens to me and all I have is the old blue-box adsl usb modem.

I also find it hangs when I try and log in, just before verification of username and password.
    I have to disable and then reenable the network connection a few times before it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Actually I've noticed this for the past few weeks also (but was fine for the previous year), and resetting the modem does work.

However I didn't think I was running any p2p on the occasions when it's happened.

Since this has happened a few times, I figure there are 3 possibilities...

1/ The modem is failing (very unlikely):confused:
    2/ I have a hidden app running on my PC :eek: (maybe some spyware - I'll have to check this out)
    3/ ESAT have changed something.:mad:

Ix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement