Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone cleard Half Life 2?

Options
  • 21-12-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Im playing it at the moment and its really getting to me for some reason! Maybe its because its wasting so much of my time :v: Anyway, just wanted to ask how far through it I am...Im at the prison, probably about 40mins into the prison. How much longer do I have to go to finishing it?

As a side note, does anyone find the game frustrating and a bit boring? That Ravendell(?) level with all the zombie guys was just boring, just clamming zombie after zombie with the crowbar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Cianos wrote:
    Im at the prison, probably about 40mins into the prison. How much longer do I have to go to finishing it?
    2 hours and 43 minutes.
    Cianos wrote:
    As a side note, does anyone find the game frustrating and a bit boring?
    No, I found it riveting, too easy and too short.

tbh they should have made a difficulty setting especially for long-time CS'ers... teh combine = n00b.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like you're playing it on the xbox. I can't imagine its as easy using a poxy joypad.

Also, move this to Half-Life tbh :v:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i agree that it was too easy, but not if you use the substance mod. it makes it much more action based, with gunships and striders trying to kill you from the very start. bloody hard, but good fun if you've cleared it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you are on the x-box with a controller double that time donkeystyle gave you, depending on how efficent you can use a controller for fps', for me you'd probably have to quadruple the time but of course i would just give up before that and play it on pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Have to say it was pleasure to play on the PC and the storyline actually had some substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

delly wrote:
    Have to say it was pleasure to play on the PC and the storyline actually had some substance.

How true. I'm toying with the idea of playing through it again. I'm sure I missed a lot the first time though, like the numerous sightings of the G-Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

roll on aftermath :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

I played through it again last week, gotta say i love the feel of the game and how good the graphics look. But it was a tad to short for my liking. I gotta google that Substance mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The techniques for telling the story were good, but the actual story itself was absolute pish. Leaving every single plot strand and character hanging at the end is a total cop out.

The actual gunplay was pretty underwhelming as well. The combine weren't half as fun to fight as hinted at in the previews. In fact, the Half Life AI was more direct and challenging in many ways. The weapons weren't as fun as HL1 either. You'd think they'd have learnt a few tricks from games with satisfying weapons like CoD, DoD and CS.

HL2 alot of positive aspects, but it's a FPS at the end of the day and the shooter aspect got lost somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I liked the story, even the cop out ending, gives the real feel of a saga (which it is/will be), It's what Empire Strikes Back was to A New Hope!
    From what I hear, it's no worse than the Halo 2 ending.

Roll on Aftermath and HL3, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Now I dont find it frustrating in a difficulty sense at all, just the repetitiveness of it that can frustrate you into wishing something of more substance was going to happen...big chunks of it seem to follow the same formula. I thought the boat level was too long, and was nearly identical to the sand buggy level (drive a bit, get out and kill a few guys and open the gate, get back in, repeat)

The story is quite lacking aswell...you arent really told anything about the background of the civilians struggle (cant remember HL1, played it ages ago so maybe I am overlooking something) and dont know why you are fighting. Aswell the way all the characters seem to be waiting for you safely at the next meet up place - why didnt they just bring you with them?!

P.S, Im playing it on the PC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved it so far, with the exception of the boat/buggy sections, utter rubbish, further proof that FPS developers should leave vehicles to the experts, or at least buy in the talent to do it properly.
    I'd say I have most of it done but since I got a Xbox 360 I haven't gone back to it, must finish it off sometime soon.
    Now that i think of it, the ant lions were a bit underwhelming and no engagement with the stilt walking thingys yet, hmmm, maybe i'm not so far into it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I finished it. It was uninstalled and some months later when I finally worked up the will power to reinstall it and to trawl through this miserable game and when I did I wished I hadn't given the ending is so so so so so (to infinity) pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

cianos wrote:
    The story is quite lacking aswell...you arent really told anything about the background of the civilians struggle

The idea was that the story is all around you. You get bits of it from listening to civilians talking, and more from examining your environment. The idea is that Gordon Freeman was gone from earth for 10 years, during which events took place that were so huge in scale that nobody even considers the possibility of him being unaware of them. Also, I think the developers wanted to leave a lot of what happened in the intervening years to the imagination of the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

indeed

the idea is to inspire creativity in the player rather then spoonfeeding you with the story, which would require long-winded MGS-style cutscenes.

if you're that lazy that you don't want to explore HL2, there are books you can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Here's a guide to what's going on in the HL universe:
    http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I finished it. It was uninstalled and some months later when I finally worked up the will power to reinstall it and to trawl through this miserable game and when I did I wished I hadn't given the ending is so so so so so (to infinity) pointless.

Seriosuly stop playing video games. I suppose you think fifa and doom 3 are great games. :rolleyes:

HL2 is an epic game, maybe not in length but what is there is one of the best fps games ever made. Anyone that doesn't see that is an idiot tbh. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you can't see the amount of work put into the game and enjoy the sheer playability and non repeditivity (doom3 anyone) compared to other fps games then you are an idiot.

I'm not saying the game is perfect. I was disapointed at how easy it was even on hard, the ending and the length but the game still outshines most fps games by a long long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

^Here here!
    Oh dear, I find myself defending a game I like on teh internut, AIEEE!
    the ending is so so so so so (to infinity) pointless.
    It's called a cliffhanger, cliffhangers have a point, to keep you interested and wanting more, do you stop watching TV shows or stop going to movies because you didn't like the ending?
    Outside Fellowsip of The Ring: That ending sucked, never going to another LOTR film again!

The story wasn't flawed at all I thought, so it's told in a different way without being patronising like other games "THE BADDIES ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD BECAUSE THEIR ONE SMELLS OF FISH AND YOU'VE TO STOP THEM, GO!"
    It assumes you will have half a brain and will understand that you've to find out what happened since the first game with all the clues it gives you, it's the reason there are no cutscenes and Gordon doesn't talk or ask stupid questions.
    It goes like this:
    I'm on a train. How the hell did I get here?
    Oh, I guess I've to find out myself. Off I go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

I thought this game was really good.The only problem I had with is when I got near the prison and the game reset my save files and it put me back an hour didn't go back to it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

BloodBath wrote:
    Seriosuly stop playing video games. I suppose you think fifa and doom 3 are great games. :rolleyes:

HL2 is an epic game, maybe not in length but what is there is one of the best fps games ever made. Anyone that doesn't see that is an idiot tbh. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you can't see the amount of work put into the game and enjoy the sheer playability and non repeditivity (doom3 anyone) compared to other fps games then you are an idiot.

I'm not saying the game is perfect. I was disapointed at how easy it was even on hard, the ending and the length but the game still outshines most fps games by a long long way.

D3 is pure shyte and I've fortunately never worked up the will power to play FIFA. Anyway HL2 lacked just about everything I love in an FPS, I posted a fair few posts as to why so I'm not gonna reiterate.

Quality FPS to me is CoD or Chronicles of Riddick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah COD was class single player, I havent tried COR though looks good. All that said i liked HL2. Best single player game for me ever was either HL1 or Deus Ex 1. Sequals were not as good.

It took me like 50 hours to finish HL1 and about 15 to finish HL2. I could have even done HL2 quicker but I savoured it. My brother played it a second time through as he like it so much but the second time out he did it in 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The weapons weren't as fun as HL1 either. You'd think they'd have learnt a few tricks from games with satisfying weapons like CoD, DoD and CS.
    What about the gravity gun? The coolest weapon Iv used in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Originally Posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    The weapons weren't as fun as HL1 either. You'd think they'd have learnt a few tricks from games with satisfying weapons like CoD, DoD and CS.

I don't get that either. The weapons are almost the same as hl1 with the addition of the gravity gun. Easilly the best addition to an fps in many years. Sure the smg's and pistol were pretty lame but they have always been in hl. The revolver, shotgun, rocket launcher, bolt gun ect are as satisfying as ever. The gravity gun + nade combo works a treat as well. A really good rifle would have been nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

When I got a new PC a few months back the plan was to play D3, FarCry and then the ultimate HL2. The D3 demo was so meh I didn't buy it. FarCry was great, I loved it. As for HL2..., I preferred FarCry. CS..., I preferred CoD and FarCry online.

The gravity gun looked absolute genius in the preview videos but I just got bored of it. The storytelling method was good up until the ending. The point of a cliff-hanger is to leave you anticipating part3. But Halo and Half-Life have only succeeded in loosing my custom. Maybe because both games felt like a chore to complete at times, and for a game like HL2 where you have to search out the story yourself, I expect a reward not a "You've put €60 and 15 hours of your time into this game. To find out the point of it, we want another €60 and more of your time". Well feck off!

I don't trust them to finish the story in part3 - and why should they when they can milk it? Even if they do finish it, they'll bring out HL4 when the aliens go back in time and change what Gordan did in the first place. I'd take one solid epic game over a game trilogy any day. Films are different - Lord of the Rings can do what it wants when it's one of the greatest stories ever told (and it was supposed to be one long book as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

got it 2 weeks completed it in a week ago took my time
    pain having to download all the stuff to play it (ive isdn)
    love this game
    the ending was a bit out there though really leaves you with no idea what is going to happen in half life 3

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I loved it. But the ending pissed me right off. All that building up to a huge climax and then nothing. It reminded me of HL1 which reminded me of the "ID Salutes you" ending of Quake.

Advertisement