Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best game to buy

Options
  • 21-12-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hey Want to get a good PC game.
    Any suggestions. I like Age of Empires but not as much Civilisation.
    I like Rainbow 6 but not as much Splintercell.
    Something to kill the hours but not boring or extremely complicated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

How about F.E.A.R.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

cant go wrong with call of duty2
    killing germens is there no better plessure in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you got Broadband, get Battlefield 2.
    I loved the Rainbow 6 series, and this is my latest addiction.
    Cant....stop...playing!
    (You'll need a good spec PC though)

BF2 really that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

qwertz wrote:
    BF2 really that good?
    I think so.
    It's a new experience everytime online.
    more reviews here
    I've never played the original BFs or COD.... only got new PC recently and got BF2.
    Didnt have much time for anything else!
    (SWAT 4 was a good buy too though - You might really like this coming off Rainbow 6. Graphics and gameplay are brilliant... and I havent even gone online with it yet).

• Advertisement

How does it compare to good old Wolfenstein Enemy Terrrrrritorrrrry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

BF2 is a great game but it all depends on finding a good server

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, sadly hordes of assholes seem to have moved over from CS to BF (maybe its because of the stat-whore element of the game?), so it gets increasingly hard to find a good server where the game is untainted by stat whores/teamkillers/vehicle hoggers, etc.

(I really love those gimps who kill their teammates because they got to "their" plane first :rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you liked Rainbow 6, the Athena Sword expansion should be dirt cheap now (assuming you already have Raven Shield, if not a double pack would be dirt cheap anyway).

SWAT 4 is also excellent, similar to R6 but less complicated, no planning phase and simpler squad control. ROE is a but funny coming from R6, no shoot to kill (in SP, haven't tried MP yet), but it's good fun anyway.

If you haven't tried Ghost Recon, you'd probably like that too, made by the same people who made R6, it's more of an outdoorsy (mountains, forests etc), longer range combat type game. Again no planning phase, but with excellent simple yet versatile squad control. It's a bit dated now (think it was released 2002 ?), but still looks great with the resolution and AA/AF cranked way up. Cheap too, I recently picked up the 'Gold' edition which comes with both expansions (Desert Strike, and Island Thunder) for €10. There's loads of quality free mods and mission packs to download too. I'd really recommend this if you haven't played it and enjoyed R6, it's the same kind of realistic, tactical combat without all the complications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Jesper wrote:
    Hey Want to get a good PC game.
    Any suggestions. I like Age of Empires but not as much Civilisation.
    I like Rainbow 6 but not as much Splintercell.
    Something to kill the hours but not boring or extremely complicated.
    Thanks

if you want strategy for for Civ 4 its excellent,
    want atmospheric single player shooter FEAR (with a powerfull pc),
    multiplayer RPG go for WoW,
    multiplayer FPS BF2 is excellent

anything else and you have a PS2 get Resident evil 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

never mind the sex pistols and buy rome total war (esp if u have a penchant for strategy)

i have been playing it everyday since july plus there is an expansion pack (barbarian invasion) and mods out for it

i just wish i could get a memory wipe and play through them all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I love BF2 and must second the vote for Rome. Played Rome for sooo many hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Thanks guys.
    Any one played Age of Empires 3? or Quake 4. just saw them yesterday in my local gamesstop 55e? Would that be about right?

I am playing Age of Empires 3 at the moment. Good fun but not the best thing since sliced bread. €55 sounds a bit too expensive to me. Where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Try WarRock! It's a free multi player game like BF2.

www.warrock.net

There's a nice little trailer you can download to check out the game play. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I'd go with BF2 as well! Once ya get a good server your sorted! Give Dawn of war a try, great RTS!

Advertisement