Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coil????

• 21-12-2005 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've just been back from the doctors and she has recommended that I get the coil fitted as I have put on too much weight since using the pill and am unsuitable for it.

I have taken the prescription for the coil but have to wait on a hospital appointment to get it fitted. They would fit it at my doctors if I had previously had a child.

I just wanted to know has anyone had the coil fitted and what were/are their experiences of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have no idea what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

My sister had the coil fitted, & got pregnant with twins on it. I don't think it's safe personally. My sister says she'd never get it done again so she got the implant in her arm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Grimes wrote:
    I have no idea what it is

it's a contraception method

my sister has used the coil for years, it works well for her and she swears by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Is it just me or does using the word fitted make me think you're getting work done on your car..?

My partner decided not to go witht he coil, can't remember why, basically i think she didn't like the idea/concept of it.

She's now changed from being too long ont he pill to some type of patch that she changes every day. There's more options than the coil if you're worried about it.

I'm getting the mirena fitted soon as I think not getting pregnant for 5 years will be great and wont have to deal with taking the pill anymore

been on it for yasmin 3 years and swear by it although I heard a rumour it can affect your fertility if on it long-term

Ive looked into it and i would say the mirena would be oneof the best IUD methods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/iucd.html
    Guide to Contraception: iucd

IUCDThe letters IUCD stand for Intrauterine Contraceptive Device. This means it is placed inside a woman’s uterus (womb). It is also known as the IUD, loop or coil, but these terms are now inaccurate and are no longer widely used.

How effective is it?
    Tests show that for every 100 women using it, one to two will get pregnant in a year. If you want to reduce this risk, use a spermicidal cream, jelly, pessary, film or foam in the vagina, especially around ovulation (the fertile time).

If you have not had a child and are having it fitting in hospital they will have to dialate your cervix to insert the iucd. It is about the width as a match stick.
    When it is inserted and unfurled it will feel like a very sore pinch.
    Do make your appointment and ask to disscuss the exact proceedure and
    pain relief required. I am surpised that you didnt talk about the fitting of it
    with your Dr before taking the perscription.

Having an Iucd or a iucs is a contraceptive method it will not protect you against hiv or sti. Plus are are at a slightly greater risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease again make sure you talk to your dr about this.

Thaedydal wrote:
    http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/iucd.html

If you have not had a child and are having it fitting in hospital they will have to dialate your cervix to insert the iucd. It is about the width as a match stick.
    When it is inserted and unfurled it will feel like a very sore pinch.
    Do make your appointment and ask to disscuss the exact proceedure and
    pain relief required. I am surpised that you didnt talk about the fitting of it
    with your Dr before taking the perscription.

Having an Iucd or a iucs is a contraceptive method it will not protect you against hiv or sti. Plus are are at a slightly greater risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease again make sure you talk to your dr about this.

I spoke to my doctors yesterday he said it will be done under a local and he also said i can still get it even though i havent had any little babies
    and yes he also advised me to still use condoms :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had done some research on the whole thing but hadn't realised that they would have to dilate my cervix. Sounds quite complicated but hormonal contraception isn't suited to me so this is the next best option.

Thanks for the replies, still worried but I'll do some more research. Will have plenty of time to do that anyway as I will have to wait for an appointment in the hospital.

If a woman has already a baby, a miscarriage, a termination or a DnC
    then her cervix has already been dialated and a dr can fit an ius or a iucd with
    the admistration of pain killers beforehand.

Still fair play to you for trying to make the best choice out of what is advaible to you so that you can take responsiblity for your fertility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The mirena coil itself isn't large, but the box it comes in is rather long!! Don't be put off by it if you have to fill the prescription yourself and then take it to hospital for them to fit it. I know a lot of people using it and they swear by it.

• Advertisement

The mirena unterine system is a wonderful invention I was thrilled when I researched it after my dr suggested it , and when the 5 years are up a replacement can be fitted when the old one is removed.

and if your lucky your periods stop for several mnths at a go, mine did :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

The mirena coil itself isn't large, but the box it comes in is rather long!! Don't be put off by it if you have to fill the prescription yourself and then take it to hospital for them to fit it. I know a lot of people using it and they swear by it.

I can vouch for it here! I have had it in for umm at least 18 months and its the best thing I ever did contraception wise. Cos I have had children i didn't need a local/general, that said it wasn't THE most pleasant experience having it put in.

Early on there was a fair bit of spotting, but I can happily say that I have extremely light periods and they don't appear every month!! YAY ;-)

It can be removed very easily by a doctor and if wanting to get pregnant, there is not a problem after it's been taken out.

:) Goodluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I' ve had the coil fitted in about five years, and for me it has been fantastic, I used to suffer terrible periods, but also I have had a child so I was able to have it done at my doctors, personally I had a coil without any hormones added, I don't like anything altering my body. It is not that painful when it is inserted, anyhow best of luck with it.

Advertisement