Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Credit Card Company ???

Options
  • 21-12-2005 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have my credit card with A.I.b, I switched all my accounts to TSB to avail of the free banking charges
    I didnt switch my credit card from A.IB just yet,thinking of doing it in the New Year

If i decide to switch credit card will the new bank give me the same limit on my existing card or just give me the bare minimum and i will have to wait some months before they increase my limit
    My credit card limit currently with a.ib is a couple of grand, i need it to be a decent limit because i travel a fair bit with work and pay hotels with it etc and dont want the new card to restrict me

Anyone any ideas ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Indicate when you apply how much you'd like. When switching my credit card to PTSB, I need more than the limit they were offering. I talked to them about transferring two large balances and they were able to arrange it. Most CC companies will jump at the chance of a new customer with a good credit history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I changed from BOI to MBNA and they asked me my current limit with BOI and they matched it. I don't know if they did a check or if I could have told them anything and they still would have matched it. I don't think you'll have any problem increasing your limit anyway, the more in debt you get the better as far as they're concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

cheers folks, thanks for the advice, glad to get the monkey which is A.I.B off my back

got my tsb statement last week, my quarterly charges were 44 euro which were waivered ...AIB would have been at the door with the heavies to collect the money owed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Go for one of the "Ice" credit cards, they look pretty good; I'm changing to one of them myself. The minimum credit limit is €3,500 and you can ask for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Yep, MBNA are easy to deal with,especially direct online, credit limits can be surprisingly high, and after a time, their 'MBNA Europe Banking division' will offer you 'Unsecured' Personal loans at low interest rates, if you build up a good credit rating with them ;) .

P.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I got a card from them one or twice as well actually. I ended up just throwing it in the bin, wasn't sure whether to trust a credit card company that issued credit that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Paddy20 wrote:
    Yep, MBNA are easy to deal with,especially direct online, credit limits can be surprisingly high, and after a time, their 'MBNA Europe Banking division' will offer you 'Unsecured' Personal loans at low interest rates, if you build up a good credit rating with them ;) .

Their loans are crap - they offered me an interest rate on a loan that was greater than the interest rate on my mbna card :rolleyes:

voxpop wrote:
    Their loans are crap - they offered me an interest rate on a loan that was greater than the interest rate on my mbna card :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I find that hard to believe, as personal loans from MBNA Banking Europe are only offered to selected clients, and are always at a much lower APR (Annual percentage rate) than their credit card rates ?...can you post up the Personal loan interest rate :confused:

I get personal loan offers nearly every month with my cc statement as im sure do many other mbna credit card owners, unless you are after a 20 grand loan, their rates are rubbish compared to something like Tesco.
    Im not sure where you get the idea that their loan rates are good since you need me to post up their rates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I switched over all my bits aswell, No probs with the credit card, Limit matched an all, now it was only 2K but no questions.
    The thing about MBNA is the charges you dont really look at like the late payment charge €15, over the limit charge €12 and unpaid items charge €20.
    Can be costly if youre not careful.

voxpop wrote:
    I get personal loan offers nearly every month with my cc statement as im sure do many other mbna credit card owners.
    Im not sure where you get the idea that their loan rates are good since you need me to post up their rates!

You stated: " Their loans are crap - they offered me an interest rate on a loan that was greater than the interest rate on my mbna card " end quote.

All I asked you to do was prove that you are not posting crap, by producing/posting evidence to justify such an outrageous allegation, but as you clearly appear not capable of posting same. Then I still do not accept your statement.

For any Credit card issuer, to offer their 'Credit Card holders' personal loans at a higher rate of interest than they are charging on their credit cards, are not going to get any takers !..Are they?.....:rolleyes:

I stand by my previous posts - Im an mbna customer and was offered a loan with a greater apr than my mbna credit card and a much greater apr than Tesco's loan offering, which in my book makes the mbna loans crap.

I dont know why you are taking my posts so personally to be honest. Maybe you can enlighten us as to why you think mbna offer good loans ?

If you want to know what rates mbna are offering, why dont you ring them yourself and ask!

I am an MBNA customer, and I am fully aware of their 'Personal unsecured loan rates, and I have not seen any offerings where their interest rate or APR exceeds their Credit card rates.

I am not taking this personally, as I simply have a thing about unregistered guests posting unjustifiable rubbish, which they refuse to or can not prove :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

voxpop,

Can you back up your statement...?I am not happy with unverified information being posted about a company's loan rates.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am an MBNA customer, and I am fully aware of their 'Personal unsecured loan rates, and I have not seen any offerings where their interest rate or APR exceeds their Credit card rates.

I am not taking this personally, as I simply have a thing about unregistered guests posting unjustifiable rubbish, which they refuse to or can not prove :rolleyes:

What do you mean unregistered guests ??? I joined in Sep 2003, the clue is in the "Join Date: Sep 2003" sentence.

Anyway as for the rates, I dont see how I can "prove" their rates by transcribing the leaflet mbna send me with virtually every credit card statement but if it will calm Paddy down then here goes:

4000 - 11.4%
    5000 - 11.4%
    8000 - 9.4%
    10000 - 9.4%
    15000 - 8.9%
    These rates are subject to paying over 60months and choosing payment protection. You will have to ring them to get an actual quote.

Mbna Gold Card -10.9%

Tesco - 7.9% for whatever amount over how long you want.

I was looking for a 6000 loan - and was given a even higher rate than 11.5% (this was about 8 months ago), even at the rates now I would have been better going with most other irish banks or just using my credit card.

Is everyone happy now - their loans are crap, is official !!

Well,thanks for posting the rates. They are steep ?...I must check my old MBNA mail as they were sending me personal loan offers from 7.4% APR as far as I can recall.

I will post up what I find, but at the rates you have posted, I doubt they would get many takers :eek:

Apologies for calling you an ' Unregistered guest' !, someone must have put something strange in my Christmas drinkie's.

I have no doubt that personal loans are available at much lower rates, andthe 'Payment protection' is usually optional.

I must have a good look at this issue in general.

Good luck, and Happy New Year.;)

Advertisement