Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peptic ulcer

• 21-12-2005 4:50pm

Hi my doctor told me i have one of these caused from stress
    does any one have any experiences or can tell me more about it and i havent really got a clue and its worrying me:(

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

tell me more about it and i havent really got a clue and its worrying me:(

did you not discuss this with your doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Beruthiel wrote:
    That's what I was thinking. I hope (s)he's cheap.

Anyhow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peptic_Ulcer
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=Peptic+ulcer

Beruthiel wrote:
    no kind of a bit shocked
    he gave me a list of foods to avoid and a prescription
    that was it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Ask your GP about the 'triple treatment' - a course of tablets you take for 4 weeks and it gets rid of an ulcer permanently. Apparently they're all cause by heliobakter pylori virus or summat and this treatment clears it up. Worked for my dad after he had an ulcer for 20 odd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

I was diagnosed with one of these last week. I have to go back to the doc in a week. Between 70 - 90 % of these are caused by a bacteria. Afaik the doc said mine was duodenal cos the pain doesnt go away after i eat, and 90% of them types are caused by this bacteria - helicobacter Pylorii - I did a bit of reading up on them too, and recently doctors have said ulcers are not caused by stress.... Dont know how true it is, ill ask my doc next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I was diagnosed with one of these last week. I have to go back to the doc in a week. Between 70 - 90 % of these are caused by a bacteria. Afaik the doc said mine was duodenal cos the pain doesnt go away after i eat, and 90% of them types are caused by this bacteria - helicobacter Pylorii - I did a bit of reading up on them too, and recently doctors have said ulcers are not caused by stress.... Dont know how true it is, ill ask my doc next week.

There was a discussion on this in the Med/Sci forums last week:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054863179

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ask your GP about the 'triple treatment' - a course of tablets you take for 4 weeks and it gets rid of an ulcer permanently. Apparently they're all cause by heliobakter pylori virus or summat and this treatment clears it up. Worked for my dad after he had an ulcer for 20 odd years.

Don't want to get medical here, but yes, my missus has done a course of triple therapy for heliobakter (sp). It may or may not be succesful and because of its strength can only be administered once in a given timeframe, not sure how long so I won't guess. The next step is an endoscope, tube down the throat basically, don't worry, not as scary as it sounds and it may not even come to that. Apparently, if it is helio, you'll have a new lease of life after it, it saps your energy in a big way.

If this doesn't apply, please disregard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hmm, that thread in science looks familiar...
    Does it really sap energy... and theres me watching my diet like a sap... making sure i get all my vitamins etc. Ill have a goo in the books for some info on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Kersh wrote:
    Hmm, that thread in science looks familiar...
    Does it really sap energy... and theres me watching my diet like a sap... making sure i get all my vitamins etc. Ill have a goo in the books for some info on that.

Ha didn't cop it! Sorry mate!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Kersh wrote:

If you find any useful clickies on your travels let me know. I'm on a learning curve here too so t'would be appreciated. Apparently lethargy and tiredness (as well as bad breath) are major symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Don't want to get medical here, but yes, my missus has done a course of triple therapy for heliobakter (sp). It may or may not be succesful and because of its strength can only be administered once in a given timeframe, not sure how long so I won't guess. The next step is an endoscope, tube down the throat basically, don't worry, not as scary as it sounds and it may not even come to that. Apparently, if it is helio, you'll have a new lease of life after it, it saps your energy in a big way.

If this doesn't apply, please disregard!

I was on a course of pills for that heliowhateveryacallit ;) twice before, no result. Got endoscope to poke around. Not as comfortable as people lead you to believe. Still no better. Back on a course of pills after that, but no result.

Still not right. Suffering for about 8yrs now. Often go for a few days with only 2-3hrs sleep a night because of the pain.

My doctor thinks it is an over production of acid in my stomach. Builds up every now and again. Pain in the arse but I'm getting used to it at this stage.

I take Zantac 75 now. Over the counter tablet. It stops your stomach from producing acid for a while and calms it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

As the guys state ulcers are caused by bacteria. To test for ulcers they have a special breath test machine that detects the bateria. If your doctor did not do this test, and just prescribed you zantac or something similiar he is a muppet, go to another doctor.

It may not be an ulcer. If you are stressed, the stress centres in your stomach area, and manifests itself in physical syptoms.

If you are having problems sleeping, feeling breathless, lightheaded, worried etc then your probually suffering from anxiety.

Don't panic, its easily fixed but its more a mental thing. You need to look at whats causing the stress and try and reduce it.

Have a read of these:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_%28medicine%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiety

Let us know if you think this is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I have a Ulcer I'am not sure which type. But apparently its drink and stress related. I'am on 40 Mg of Periat a day. I have also been told to give up drinking. The Periat seems to be doing the trick, I've been taking them now for the last two and a half months. I forgot to take them a few days back and by the morning of the thrid day I was ready to keel over with the pain.

Advertisement