Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any Broadband providers in Delgany, Co. Wicklow?

• 21-12-2005 5:15pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been asked to find out if a collegue can get broadband in Delgany. I've already tried DSL but the line fails. Is there any wireless providers around there? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I know somebody in Delgany with ADSL so it works for some. Not of much use for you obviously.

Delgany is probably on the Greystones exchange which has BT's LLU service. Try them.

Irish Broadband is available in Greystones and possibly Delgany if your collegue can see the mast at Windgates. I have the service in Bray from the same mast and it's **** so I wouldn't recommend it. I've actually cancelled the service. It's better than dialup so it's acceptable if your friend is desperate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

this person is on the Newtown Mount Kennedy Exchange according to the Smart Telecom line checker.

That explains the line failure then as Newtown Mount Kennedy is quite far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭clearlyn

Hi I am just down the road by Blacklion church. Ihave just started the BT basic 1M package and its superb. The download speed easily allows my family to work on our two laptops with web radio streaming and lime wirewire in the background. its also a good deal €39 per month including line rental. :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Depending on which part of Delgany your collegue may be able to avail of wireless from the www.bb4ne-wicklow.info GBS which is due to go live in January.

HTH

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

Hi,

I have rang eircom numerous times to complain about their service to the area and I just get the same line, which basically that there's a muppet at the end of the line that doesn't want my money.

My neighbours either side of me have it and we are all in a new housing estate yet eircom can't give me a reasonable explanation as to why it fails. I even get kicked off the dial-up service at random periods!

If anyone knows even the slightest inkling of how to get around this problem I would be grateful. I have contacts in Vodafone and ESB trying to find out if Clearwire or IBB or the like are interested in co-locating on their towers near delgany and i will let you know if i hear anything.

At my wits end! Anyone like to burn eircom to the ground with me?! :)

It is theoretically possible to get eircom to send out an engineer to have a look at it, but I'm not really sure what steps need to be taken to get them to do that.

Is the voice quality on the line good? If not, report a fault and see if you can get it fixed.

It's quite possible the internal wiring in your house is poor and/or you have a lot of stuff connected to the phone line in the house. This affects the line quality, or at least affects Eircom's glorious line tester. It's best to just have a normal handset connected to the master socket and disconnect everything else until you get a pass. Pain, yes.

If you're really desperate you can order in a new line and it may work. I think Eircom might have ended their promotions on new lines, so this might be expensive. Plus you need to wait for a month for the test to run, plus I think you need to pay a disconnect fee.

Finally, if you're on the Greystones exchange, you can get BT Ireland's business services. BT doesn't really advertise these, but they do exist. This is an unbundled service so you're using BT's equipment in the exchange so you will normally get the service regardless of what Eircom thinks. I seem to recall that service is more expensive than Eircom's and you may need to be a business to avail of it. Others can advise or call BT's business section.

i had a huge reply to Blaster's post but the damn thing didn't go through....

anyway....the gist of it was that i have tried all of the things in your post bar the BT business connection. i am a small business owner but i really need bb to run the office effectively.

has anyone any contacts in BT as to who I could ring to find out about this?

i have had line tests done - no joy. when they say they are checking your line they're really checking your number against a database of enabled numbers. those sales guys aren't really testing your line. a real test needs you to have the phone on the hook and takes about 2 or 3 minutes and not the 5 seconds it takes a sales guy to punch in your number.

my voice quality is fine although i told them it wasn't and that's how i got the line really tested. can't imagine i'm split at the exchange either as i get 46kbps regularly.

also, contacted torque.ie - not planning to get kilcoole up until march and delgany may follow after that. you can register your interest with them which will help get it quicker.

i think the best bet i have it the broadband for northeast wicklow scheme. i registered there too. if you're in the area then please register and we might get it faster! even if you're with eircom, wouldn't it be nice to ditch them?! i would, even if it cost me double!

i'm going to write a letter of complaint to eircom about my dial-up service, throw in a few things about broadband that my neighbours have and then if i don't hear back in a week i'll send it onto comreg. from these boards they sound pretty useless as well but at least i'll have done something about it.

I know people who have called up Eircom sales and told them that many of their neighbours can get it, and this eventually prompted Eircom to get an engineer to enable the line. It sounds like you haven't gotten past the tele sales person and the line check database. I believe you can get through to a complaints dept in Eircom and they can take it further for you, like involving an engineer. The fact that your neighbours can get it, that you get such good dial-up speeds, really means that you should get broadband.

Can't help you with BT. Just call up their business people and ask about their ADSL service in Greystones. Not the Eircom reseller stuff, but their LLU service.

Thanks Blaster!

I will def. be writing to eircom complaints this evening and I will incorporate your comments/ideas to them. I do wonder sometimes if the telesales people actually want to make sales at all!!!

Will keep you updated. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement