Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What party do you play with in VII?

Options
  • 21-12-2005 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious as to what party you went through VII with. I personally use Cloud, Barret and Cid. The only reason I used them is because of their level 4 limits because they hit a good few of the things on screen at once or hit the same thing a few times.

It's comparable to X where the only deciding factor for who would be stat maxed for me was those who had the impressive/powerful limits.

However in IX there were many more factors to consider when you're selecting a party. The unique abilities of the characters and their own personal aptitudes played a much larger role in the deciding process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Tried to flick around as much as possible have all my charaacters on even levels. However i did use cloub and cid alot as they're the only ones with triple growth weapons(asnd wanted to master kotr, mime etc), and also you had to have cloud 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Heh, gotta admit when Aeris died I was more peeved about the fact I wouldn't have a great healer in my party than through any attachment I had to the character! :D

Before Aeris' death, my party was always Cloud, Aeris and Barret whenever possible. After she eats long pointy sword, it was always Cloud, Red and Barret. I always thought this was a strong party attack wise.

I don't think I ever used Cait Sith other than to see his different attacks...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In every RPG I always switch characters and use them all equally. FFVII annoyed me with it's auto level up for characters out of battle because I couldn't keep track of which characters I had used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i mostly used cloud barret and tifa, and mostly used attack rather than magic. but the best save i ever had all those years ago i used cloud, cid and vincent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

until her death, Clod, Aeris and Yuffie. Post Aeris it was Cloud, Yufie and Vincent, with some Cait Sith for good measure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Cloud, Barret and Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

the first time i played the game i used Cloud, Aeris and Vincent.

After i saw aeris die the next time i played it i felt there was no point getting her up again. I also got sick of Vincents automatic limit(which was the only reason i used him) so i changed my party to Cloud, Barret and Cid.

Anytime i play the game now i try and use all characters. Caith Sith has been the most annoying because his limits suck. I like Tifa's limits the most so i like using her but i just use anyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

The first time I played it was Cloud, Barret and Red XIII, then I switched to Cloud, Tifa and Red XIII. Then one day I was bored so I decided to start using Yuffie too- she's actually not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I always use Cid, Cloud and Vincent for the game but when when I want to upgrade materia and stuff I usually switch Vincent for Yuffie as she has a great weapon that doubles/quadruples experience if I remember right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iofur

I used Cloud Tifa and Aeris...then she had to go and die on me (and we all cried...a little) so I started to use Cloud Tifa and Yuffie and RedXIII for the sheer fact he was a big cute liony wolf type thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hopeless

I haven't met half the characters yet but at the moment it's Cloud, Aeries and Barret. I think I'm gonna keep Cloud and Barret anyway.
    Since I already know Aeries dies I'm trying to use her as little as possible.
    I never really liked the healer characters beacause they use way to much mana if I want them to heal and actually be useful in any other way in battles (ie magic).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Hopeless wrote:
    I haven't met half the characters yet but at the moment it's Cloud, Aeries and Barret. I think I'm gonna keep Cloud and Barret anyway.
    Since I already know Aeries dies I'm trying to use her as little as possible.
    I never really liked the healer characters beacause they use way to much mana if I want them to heal and actually be useful in any other way in battles (ie magic).
    There's a portion where you have to bring her with you, just to give a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hopeless

Heh. I suppose there's the whole love story as well isn't there?
    I'm assuming that when you pick Aeries to go with you it 'leans' in her direction, I kinda like that because I'm not too fond of Tifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slightlycrazy

First time thru i played as cloud, red13 and cid. But then as I played it more and more it was always Vincent,Cloud and Tifa. I've never used Cait sith as he is totally usless or yuffie as she is also useless. This is the best game ever and i'm really hoping for a remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DrunkMerlin

Cloud, Yuffie and usually a dead RedXIII, this was once I'd maxed out all of my stats by morphing baddies with Yuffie's Conformer into sources, I had 255 for like every stat on both of them, so it didn't much matter about having a dead doggy. Before that it was always Cloud, Yuffie and Cid.

A remake will be ****, the game is good as it is, let it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Cloud, Barret and Cid

The very same - I stuck with these characters because of their limit breaks and their triple growth weapons. I tended to use a lot of summons mixed with all out attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iofur

oh come on yuffie, is not useless! Her limit breaks, (especially the final one) is so bloody cool and i found it to be very effective! Cait Sith on the other hand...*cough cgouh CRAP cough cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Cloud, Tifa/Vincent and Aeris... I guess i just got attached to those characters the most, Red was useful for a long time but i never used him to any huge extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cloud // cid // caith sith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Cremo wrote:
    caith sith
    \o/ Let the hatred end...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Cloud(duh), Yuffie, and X. If you get Yuffie early, she develops very well. She is actually quite unbalanced at the end of the game(although I did give her 1 or 2 more attribute sources). I killed one of the end Sephitorth boss's with just 2 of her physical attacks(x4 cut). She is also excellent with magic. And she is long range so recieved half damage from physical attack.

I don't pick Cait Sith because I wouldn't be able to stand looking at him for ages. Aeris pointless, lol I was crestfallen when she died first time I played it.
    I don't like Cid or his limits.

That leaves Red, Barret and Vincent. Red probably the worst of these, but he is my favourite. He is a masterpiece character. Vincent has his amazing final limit. Barret is okay, but I never really liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cloud Barrett & Red for me the whole time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Cloud Cid and Barret

Doesnt really matter anyways when theyre high level and you have the right Materia :rolleyes: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I kinda have to agree. It's the same in all the newer final fantasy games (apart from IX).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Thats sort of what I was driving at, after a certain stage the characters are effectively clones with the exception of their limit breaks.

That's one of the things I prefer about having definate classes like in IX or IV. X was one of the worst perpatrators(sp) in this sense. Loads of characters with identical stats and abilities and similar enough weapons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the variety in characters in X was it's best asset. I played on low levels and didn't level up except for the last boss (don't believe in levelling up, it's an artificial way for designers to extend game time lazily, had to level up for the last boss though :mad: ). All my characters throughout the game were very different and the battles were much better, requiring strategy to beat rather than brute force.

I have to say i prefer the separate character classes. Never was a fan of the FFVII and FVIII style of customizable characters. Separate classes adds more depth to the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

What sort of battle system is used in FFIII? Is it Job Classes? Or just customizable ala FFVII.

Im looking forward to playing it on the DS.

It's the utterly fantastic job system used in FFV and FF Tactics (PS1 version not the *shudder* GBA atrocity). In fact FFV is a carbon copy of the FFIII system. It's a great game. Can't wait for the DS version either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 timmyotoole

Ye ff5 had the best job system. I liked ff6 as well.

A number of ye said that there was no point in leveling up aeris the second time, but when i played it the first time i never got her final limit break. So the second time round i leveled her up all the way and spent ages trying to get it, had to read the faqs, just to see it at least. That invincibility plus full heal might have been handy in some of the latter battles.

Cloud, Tifa and Barret the first time round, but second time round i just leveled up everone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

i use cloud, yuffie cause, well i dont really know, and red because he is the most balanced and one of the strongest characters in the game.

I hate cid because he is the weakest of the strong characters and i hate what he is like to shera, cait sith because he is basicly hitler reincarnated as an s**thead, aeris cause she dies, i like her though, barrett because he is so token black guyish and tifa because she is so needy.:cool:

Advertisement