Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xmas pressie for my ex...

• 21-12-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

need some advice on what to get my ex for xmas.
    she is the mother of my son so i need to get her something..

i was thinking of something non personal from me, and something nice from our son...

but im stumped...
    is this a right idea?

so far ive thought of like 1 thing... :-(
    so i bought her burberry perfume from me.

would this be a mistake? or would her current boyfriend not approve? as i dont wanna start a row between them 2 over it...

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would say perfume is fairly non-personal, provided that it doesn't have any particular meaning.

Jewellery, flowers, chocolates, sentimental memorabilia, are all no-no's.

TBH, if it worries you, and you're at the very least on speaking terms with her current boyfriend, then ask him first if he would be cool with you giving that to her as a christmas present. This shows him a) that you're not trying to muscle back in with a surprise "Oh wow, aren't you the best" gift to your ex, and b) what you're getting her, so he can go twenty times better (it just has to be done).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

€50 Tesco Gift Voucher :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

if i was you, i would'nt give her anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

tesco's is a no no.. lol.
    she hates tesco's...

i need to get her something at least... cant just not give her anything. she already got me something from both her and alex for xmas...

as for ur reply sheamus, personally i hate him. and he hates me cos im the father and he's not...
    we dont ever speak at all.
    he's already got her present for xmas so im not sure what to do...
    guess ill just wing it with perfume and hope he doesnt get pissed off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

i'd suggest a voucher in general for a shop she likes & then she could buy herself & your son something nice out of it.

Don't give her perfume, thats the boyfs job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

p~b wrote:

Exactly why bother she's your ex FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I woulde head in the direction of purely neutral / practical and not personal. Books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

A Pedicure&manicure set? Corkscrew opener?(Got a nice corkscrew gift set in Aldi today for €10), Hat&Scarf&gloves set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

a years supply of dog-food? sorry just came to me...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

jonny68 wrote:
    Exactly why bother she's your ex FFS :rolleyes:

Well its different when kids are involved,children can pick up on stuff especially presents.The OP probably wants to keep the karma because of his son.....

Happy christmas to one and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Get her a voucher for a kiddies clothes shop... that'd be my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hey back off with the smart and snotty comments.

RoyalMarineComm you are doing the right thing making sure that your son has
    something to give his mother for christmas.
    That your son feels that both of his parents who make up his family are included.
    If you didnt get some small gift from you to the mother of your son I am sure
    the child would be wondering why you didnt like his mother.
    No matter how difficult the relationship can be between parents a child will
    not ever while young understand why you don't like the parent they love.
    Same reason why parents who don't live together should make sure the child
    has a present for the other parent on birthdays and mother's/father's day.

Get her a present like you would your sister or aunt, nice pratical not personal.
    A gift token that can be used to to the cinema ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

I think you are doing a great job

What about a photo of your son in a frame for her????

I think perfume may be a bit personal......

I commend you on doing the 'right' thing...never mind all those tossers that say 'why do it?'

Take Care and good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I think perfume would be a tad bf like myself. Since the reason you are getting her a pressie is that she is the mother of your kid why dont you get her something she can enjoy with him. Eg Tickets to something (IF he is old enough) lkie cinema? Voucher for a kiddies shop was a good idea as well. If you tie the present into your kid in some way then it really cant be construed wrongly by anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I like the idea of the cinema voucher - or perhaps some other 'day out' that can be enjoyed by your ex and your son.

I would not leave her out, get her something small and impersonal, as the others have suggested. Is Alex too young to be involved in your decision - he might have a few ideas what she would like, and it would probably please her to see that whatever you get was chosen by both of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Genius. Best idea yet. By far. Personal and with some creative effort but not overstepping the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

How about a years membership of Dublin zoo so they/you can bring your son to the zoo anytime (That's assuming she's in Dublin).

The picture frame while a great idea might be too sentimental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Danno wrote:
    Get her a voucher for a kiddies clothes shop... that'd be my advice.

Brilliant idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

mad m wrote:
    Well its different when kids are involved,children can pick up on stuff especially presents.The OP probably wants to keep the karma because of his son.....

Happy christmas to one and all

thanks very true! i want to get her something from us both as ill be doing it every year... come on when alex is 3 or 4 he's gonna want to get his mam something and he's gonna look to me to help him. so its right to say that now's the best time to start.

I think you are doing a great job

I think perfume may be a bit personal......

I commend you on doing the 'right' thing...never mind all those tossers that say 'why do it?'

Take Care and good luck

perfume is a bit personal i guess. and thanks aswell. it is the right thing to do.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Hey back off with the smart and snotty comments.

RoyalMarineComm you are doing the right thing making sure that your son has
    something to give his mother for christmas.
    That your son feels that both of his parents who make up his family are included.
    If you didnt get some small gift from you to the mother of your son I am sure
    the child would be wondering why you didnt like his mother.
    No matter how difficult the relationship can be between parents a child will
    not ever while young understand why you don't like the parent they love.
    Same reason why parents who don't live together should make sure the child
    has a present for the other parent on birthdays and mother's/father's day.

Get her a present like you would your sister or aunt, nice pratical not personal.
    A gift token that can be used to to the cinema ect

probably the best reply and this is what i needed to hear. ill get her a voucher for a shop in town and ill get her a book she would like.

thanks a mill!!

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what are her interests? does she read? maybe a voucher for easons or one of the book shops?
    I would also go and get her something from your son...

I think the present from you should just be an acknowledgement of her as the mother of your child....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Maybe something that her and the current bf can benefit from if your looking for his approval??? Like a voucher for a restaurant or something for their house????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

padser wrote:
    Voucher for a kiddies shop was a good idea as well.
    Unless she wears size 3 shoes, this can only be used as a gift for the child, not her. I think the OP is looking for a "whatever our differences, I respect your position as my child's mother" kind of present.

Advertisement