Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

BSOD - help please?

• 21-12-2005 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

title says it all, im no computer geek so i dunno where to start. a clever friend told me its mainly ram or drivers, i fiddled with the ram and made sure its secure, blew dust out of its way etc. so how wud i address a problem wit drivers?

thanx lads

ps i earthed myself before puttin my hand in so dont start givin out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What Operating System?

Can you make a note of the full text of the BSOD (or take a picture)?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

thanks for the reply seamus,[xp pro] but i was messing around with the bios i enabled fail safe settings in some menu and when it failed to start up, it now doesnt go to the BSOD, it says;

NTLDR is missing
    Press bla bla to restart, ne ideas?

[EDIT] so i googled it and it looks like a variety of problems i wont be able to fix, hopefully its not a damaged HD, anyway, unless someone has a miraculous quick fix, thanx for ur help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

you may have a corrupt disk, this can happen with faulty RAM as it's writes the data all wrong.

If you get a BSOD while trying to reinstall the OS it's most likely the above thats causing the problem.

Oh and you are most likely going to have to reformat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

first things first: Remove all hardware attached to the computer (Except barebones mouse,keyboard,and monitor..); and any CD/floppy disks/pen drives,etc.
    If this fails with an error message; reboot and and try tapping F8 as soon as you start the computer and try to go into Safe Mode..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

• Advertisement

it fails in safe mode as well, im going to be niave and try the 'repair' function on the xp cd. if its a problem with bad ram, could removing one stick at a time solve it or is that just plain stupid [i dont no these things?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

riddik wrote:
    it fails in safe mode as well, im going to be niave and try the 'repair' function on the xp cd. if its a problem with bad ram, could removing one stick at a time solve it or is that just plain stupid [i dont no these things?]

It ain't RAM.
    NTLDR is an NT system file that the OS needs to start up. Run your repair.

no i sorted the problem of the missing ntldr already, but thanx

a mate said he'd look at it, he'll be able to sort it rather than me arse around and **** it up further... so thanx everyone that replied!

Advertisement