Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bwiti

Options
  • 21-12-2005 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here followed Bwiti or practiced any of the rituals involving Iboga?

If so then have what are your experiences of Bwiti?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I know a bit about them and the practices iboga is not something to mess with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rothen

Iboga? Whats that? I googled for it and nothing came up...wanna give us a few links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Definatly not something to trifle with I agree. I was looking for peoples opinions on the effects of Iboga and it's place in Bwiti and its origins.

Iboga is also known as Eboka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iboga
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bwiti
    http://www.ibeginagain.org/articles/maps.shtml

Unfortunatly, like other spritual plants, it is of course misused as a recreational drug by many and its point and insights are lost.

Get "Plants of the gods" by schultes, Hofmann and ratsch. Its a good starting point.

Yeah, I've read that some excellent stuff. I'm also currently reading Supernatural by Graham Hancock, very interesting take on the foundation of religion.

Anyone else read it?

• Advertisement

Can you get access to academic papers? if so try Pope. Harrison G, 1969 tabernanthe iboga : an african plant of social importance, econmoic botany no.23.
    There's not alot of stuff documented about bwiti compared to say the south american religions so a lotm of the good info is in anthropology journals and ethno-botany ones

Yeah, I've been looking through a lot of papers. It's a pity theres so much on ayahuasca and so little on its african counterparts.

That said there is a lot of information on the San, particularly the work of David Lewis-Williams, some interesting similarities floating around.

Yeah i know what you mean if your up for it you can travel to one of the countries and take part in one of the rituals firsthand, could be interesting.

Other places to watch are the botany papers as there's a lot of research going into ibogaine at the moment re its anti addiction properties. Where i was living in england there was a "shaman" offering the plant as addiction treatment

It's on my list of things to do before you die alright. Probably a most memorable experience.

Didn't know ibogaine was being tested. I wonder if it will turn out like Strassmans work on DMT. I'll definatly be keeping an eye on some botany journals.

Such a pity the shamans don't have internet access, it would be quite interesting.

Do you know much pharmacology? iirc its into the human trials in amsterdam and the results from the first study are very encouraging ie doing what the shamans said it would.
    nice to see some old knowledge being used now a days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 clairehan

has anyone had any firsthand experience of ibogaine treatment?? very hard to find out who does it, where and cost of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Not sure if your gonna get much of a reply as you bumped a thread which is like 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clairehan

well i am new to this so that prob explains it!! though i never thought to look at the date so in future i will..see.. i,m learning already
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭limra

we heard this plant was shown to protect from hiv, maybe if they research it more they can find a cure.

we've heard its kind of dangerous though, sometimes death has occured from ingesting it, but its not clear how much or why, could have been other factors

Advertisement