Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on rental income

Options
  • 21-12-2005 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Our landlord is refusing to return our deposit. Does anyone know a way I can check if he has been paying income tax on the rental income we have been giving him ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

None of your business.

However, ask him for a written statement as to why he isn't returning the deposit.

Talk to www.threshold.ie

Get landlord to fill in form RENT1 from www.revenue.ie

Ask for a copy of your return from www.prtb.ie

If needs be consider small claims court (limit €1,269.74) http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/84519954FA0C27A580256D870050519D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Our landlord is refusing to return our deposit. Does anyone know a way I can check if he has been paying income tax on the rental income we have been giving him ?

Thanks
    Your in dispute so nothing to lose. Presume that he hasnt - and tell him your going to rat him up. I take it none of you have claimed the tax allowance or credits or whatever for renting then? You would have had to have gotten a form signed by him for this as far as i can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Victor wrote:
    None of your business.[/url]

victor i am sure the revenue would like to hear about a landlord who should be registered if not the same property that he himself is living in, who is not paying his dues to the upkeep of the country...sounds like your a landlord!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Why is the landlord refusing to return your deposit? He must have given you a reason. If you disagree with his reasons you should take it up with threshold (or whatever the agency is called).

You are entitled to claim back the tax allowance so ask your landlord to give you his details, which are needed for the form. This will at least get him on the radar for revenue if he is not paying tax......but this is really a seperate issue to you not getting back your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Did he get you to fill in a PRTB1 form?

This form shows that he is declaring the property as an investment and is compulsory for him to submit.

Are you claiming your rent allowance?

If you answer No to above, chances are he is not declaring his rental income.

Whats his excuse for not returning the deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colinhoulihan

The landlord is charging us 650e for cleaning ! 350e for painting ! We left the house in excellent conditions and had a great relationship with the landlord - we are surprised he is trying to con us out of our money. I have contacted threshold and they seem to agree that he should not be holding the money.

I am not sure if he is claiming the revenue - he insisted on getting a cheque from me every month and would not allow me use online banking transfer or anything like that - I'm not sure the best course of action - I don't want things to turn too ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The landlord is charging us 650e for cleaning ! 350e for painting ! We left the house in excellent conditions and had a great relationship with the landlord - we are surprised he is trying to con us out of our money. I have contacted threshold and they seem to agree that he should not be holding the money.

I am not sure if he is claiming the revenue - he insisted on getting a cheque from me every month and would not allow me use online banking transfer or anything like that - I'm not sure the best course of action - I don't want things to turn too ugly.
    Sounds like he isn't declaring his rental income alright if he's getting cheques every month.
    As for painting, this is normal wear & tear and a landlord should expect to paint his property internally every 3'ish years. Tell him to pi$$ off or you'll take it to the PRTB.

Advertisement