Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating an e-comerse website

Options
  • 21-12-2005 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I am looking add a credit card section to a website I am building. I have programming experience (basic/java/scripting), but I am a bit rusty on the website design part.

Could somebody please outline the process of creating this facility on the site.

I need answers to questions such as :

Who do I contact on the credit card side? (banks/card companies directly)
    Are there tools available for doing this?
    What are the costs involved?
    Is there any good documentation for creating https/secure posts etc ..

and any other things I should know about .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

here's a starting point which may help you with some of your questions:

http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2005/12/19/e-commerce-cheat-sheet-part-1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kenaman

We have used Realex in the past. I didnt deal with them directly myself but they seem to be good from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Agree with Kenaman realex is the best out there at the moment ,however they are abit expensive when starting off ,you can simply go with Paypal starting off and change over as you start to get busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

you can simply go with Paypal starting off and change over as you start to get busy.

I thought about this option. Do you think it would put many of your potential customers off, as they may not have signed up to paypal or understand how it works etc ?

Thanks for the replies also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Thet won't need to have a paypal account to use the service, once they have a credit card thats all they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

realex is a conduit, ie it accepts the card number from your site and passes it to your merchant credit card account at your bank. It allows for the shopper never to leave the site and you loose less sales. Expensive for small ticket items.

Paypal is a pain for shoppers who are not registered and chances are you will loose the sale. They dont do remote acceptance of credit cards. Shopper is always directed to paypals site and never returns easily to your site.

Worldpay is between the 2. The shopper goes to their site and comes back, they will do remote processing but you need to pass a huge number of tests.

See if the bank will allow you to take orders over the internet on a normal pos machine.

Lastly there is a comission of between 2.5% and 5% on all credit card sales so you have to be mindful of this.

Done dozens of these integrations.

If you are running this as a hobby do the sums as all your profit can quickly go to the credit card and the bank processors.

cheers
    sean

PM me if you require more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

willows wrote:
    Paypal is a pain for shoppers who are not registered and chances are you will loose the sale. They dont do remote acceptance of credit cards. Shopper is always directed to paypals site and never returns easily to your site.

I use Paypal on a few sites, and shoppers are directed to a customised page on of Paypal's site (I can tweak the page) and then back again (assuming I have specified my return address in my Paypak link). Also the customer doesn't need to have or set up a Paypal account, they just need a credit card.

Advertisement