Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polish or not polish footall boots??

• 21-12-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

They are a relatively new pair of Puma Kings, almost all leather. I have washed them with water before, of coure. But I'm wondering if it is advisable, or not, to polish them. Or, is there a different treatment for soccer boots?

Seanie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Seanie M wrote:
    They are a relatively new pair of Puma Kings, almost all leather. I have washed them with water before, of coure. But I'm wondering if it is advisable, or not, to polish them. Or, is there a different treatment for soccer boots?

Seanie

Polish them and you'll probably get laughed off the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

why bother when they're just going to get dirty again?

your playing soccer not participating in a fashion show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks for the constructive comments, dicks!

Its a matter of protecting the boot, not entering a fashion show. While some boots are made from a PVC textile, others are from leather, and its the leather ones that need a little more care to prevent cracking/peeling and so on. Washing with water, on a frequent basis especially at this time of year, is not good for leather.

You 2 obviously don't play much footie... :p

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Seanie M wrote:
    Thanks for the constructive comments, dicks!

Its a matter of protecting the boot, not entering a fashion show. While some boots are made from a PVC textile, others are from leather, and its the leather ones that need a little more care to prevent cracking/peeling and so on. Washing with water, on a frequent basis especially at this time of year, is not good for leather.

You 2 obviously don't play much footie... :p

Seanie.

I play plenty of both soccer and gaelic football and I've never heard of anyone polishing their boots. And I was being deadly serious, if I arrived with the team I play with polished boots, I'd be laughed off the pitch by both them and the opposition.

Btw, I'd watch calling people dicks unless you want a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wrap them in a towel and machine wash....they for kicking a ball around a pitch hardly your sunday best.

kdjac

• Advertisement

I have heard of some that have polished boots, but I reckon its not good to do so in the kind of weather we have this time of year - it just makes them more slippery in wet weather, offering less ball control. The other option I can think of is dubbin, as that doesn't leave a sheen like polish does. But I wanted to ear if there were any other recommendations, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

after game, clean the boots, and apply some linseed oil to preserve the leather.

zabbo wrote:
    after game, clean the boots, and apply some linseed oil to preserve the leather.

Linseed oil, now I haven't heard that one before. Thanks for the tip!

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Seanie M wrote:
    I have heard of some that have polished boots, but I reckon its not good to do so in the kind of weather we have this time of year - it just makes them more slippery in wet weather, offering less ball control. The other option I can think of is dubbin, as that doesn't leave a sheen like polish does. But I wanted to ear if there were any other recommendations, if any.

your looking for "dubbin"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Theres nothing wrong with someone wanting to look after their boots, give him a break...

I never had the patience to polished em or anything but just generally washing them after use, keeping hard mud off them etc keeps em well...
    With the price of boots it makes common sense to look after them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'll second Johnny_the_fox's suggestion of dubbin. It might give you the right combination of protection and grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'll second Johnny_the_fox's suggestion of dubbin. It might give you the right combination of protection and grip.

I have to third it , if it's the leathery type of boot (and Puma King's are) then putting Dubbin on it is the thing to do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wussies the lot of ye!

Soft and thin as paper leather so you can feel the ball, not to protect your girly toes :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Seanie M wrote:

No offense Seanie but you mustn't be any good if you lose control because of some polish.

The best way to look after your boots at this time of year is to stuff them with newspaper when you get home after a game, then the next day when they are dry, polish them with a neutral polish (so you dont have to worry about staining the logos) and they'll be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

After a match you should wash down the boots with water (warm/cold your choice)

Let them dry naturally.

Some people polish them but some polishes can affect the leather.

Dubbin or linseed are all well in good if you have the patience to do it right.

As long as you wash them and let them dry naturally you boots should last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Polish or not polish?

Mine are made in Taiwan, i think.:v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ive 3 pairs and I usually polish them once a month or less. I dont think its
    all that important because I usually break them before the leather deteriates.
    I try to clean them after every game. Try to. Sometimes I dont.

The third pair has actually lasted me two years!! They are basically a back-up
    pair for when the mains break.

Although sometimes my coach tells me to clean my boots because they have
    chunks of dirt on them from the last game. I argue that it sprays dry dirt into
    the defenders eyes when I run by them with the ball... :)

So I would like to recommend something to you but I honestly dont know. Try
    ask one of your coaches or trainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

shelsfan wrote:
    Mine are made in Taiwan, i think.:v:

Oh and those kids make nothing but quality boots :D

BolBill wrote:
    No offense Seanie but you mustn't be any good if you lose control because of some polish.

:) I never said I polished them, or that I ever lost control! (as if... :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Dubbin is your only man for protecting your boots, but use very small amounts of it would be my advice, apply thinly and rub the boot with a soft polishing brush.

The aim is to get your boots clean of any heavy dirt but you dont need them to sparkle.

Of course, you could just wear 30 euro umbro boots and buy a new pair every month. Its not like any pair of boots, including Predator, affects your performance.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Consensus seems to go or the dubbin/linseed oil.

Muchos Gracias!

Seanie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Draupnir wrote:
    Dubbin is your only man for protecting your boots, but use very small amounts of it would be my advice, apply thinly and rub the boot with a soft polishing brush.

The aim is to get your boots clean of any heavy dirt but you dont need them to sparkle.

Of course, you could just wear 30 euro umbro boots and buy a new pair every month. Its not like any pair of boots, including Predator, affects your performance.

Its whats in side the boots that count. I've worn nearly every pair of boots out there and I'm still crap!

But to be fair more expensive boots feel better than a cheap pair. Better material etc.

Its also a mind game. You wear boots you like you'll play better than boots you dont like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

kearnsr wrote:
    After a match you should wash down the boots with water (warm/cold your choice)

Let them dry naturally.

Some people polish them but some polishes can affect the leather.

Dubbin or linseed are all well in good if you have the patience to do it right.

As long as you wash them and let them dry naturally you boots should last

for real (kanagaroo at least) leather ..like puma kings..you should wash with warm water and use a product like dubbin or linseed oil on them...NOT!!!! shoe polish..that will damage the leather.

bullrunner wrote:
    for real (kanagaroo at least) leather ..like puma kings..you should wash with warm water and use a product like dubbin or linseed oil on them...NOT!!!! shoe polish..that will damage the leather.

Sound - cheers bullrunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

kearnsr wrote:
    Its whats in side the boots that count. I've worn nearly every pair of boots out there and I'm still crap!

But to be fair more expensive boots feel better than a cheap pair. Better material etc.

Its also a mind game. You wear boots you like you'll play better than boots you dont like.

You have to be taking the piss? Mind games with what boots you are wearing? You must be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I do think the boots you wear matter as its all about feeling comfortable and happy with the gear you have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't polish them.

After every time you use them wash them with hot soapy water, dry them and then rub the leather with vaseline afterwards, keeps it soft and protects it.

Advertisement