Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouzoukis

Options
  • 21-12-2005 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Can anyone reccommend any good bouzouki makers around. The only ones I can find online are ****ty laminate jobs or what have you. At the same time I don't want to spend a fortune on getting a PRO one. There doesn't seem to be anyt middle groud for someone who is seriuos enough, but not earning. I have played a Fylde five course cittern which was nice, but the Octavious, their Bouzouki is a little pricier than I'd like. By the way, I'd be looking for an Irish style rather than greek style really. If anyone knows of a good cittern maker also I'd consider it as I'm stil thinking of going for a cittern due to the extra range. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

There's a fella in Dublin at the moment by the name of Frank Tate who makes bouzouki's and citterns. Top notch stuff as well. Don't have a contact number for him I'm afraid, he might be in the book, but at least you have a name I suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

that guy wrote:
    There's a fella in Dublin at the moment by the name of Frank Tate who makes bouzouki's and citterns. Top notch stuff as well. Don't have a contact number for him I'm afraid, he might be in the book, but at least you have a name I suppose :)

Thanks, but sounds expensive! Maybe I'll ring him and ask him if he has any of his older creations he wants to shift. Thanks.

From Kila's website:

Dillon Pipes
    Eoin [from Kila] has been recording his solo CD and it is near completion. It comprises of mostly new tunes and he is joined by Fiddle player Steven Larkin, Des Charleson on Guitar, and Frank Tate on Bouzouki.

Seems like this guy is a player as well as maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Frank Tate makes Rodrigo and Gabriela's guitars. Talking to their sound engineer at a gig once and they were about 2500 - 3000 each if I remember. He's a good luthier though but probably cost you a few bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Hi...I live in Dublin and am 24. I play a bit of rhytym acoustic guitar/bodhran and sing a little.Play planxty/dubliners/pogues/christy moore. Ive come to the conclusion that a 'real' job will never be part of my life. Im looking for maybe another 2 musicians who can sing play mandolin/bazouki etc to travel Europe with playing music(for money obviously) and to have great experiences with. If interested email me at rosscorush@yahoo.ie:D

Advertisement