Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic.....Booooo! John Maloneys

Options
  • 21-12-2005 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Well , with the sale of "Dan Ryans" ( anyone else remember when it was called that ) petrol station at Punches Cross , John Maloney's Honda dealer finally got to close off the enterance from Edward Street .

Now to be fair , I am not surprised , witht hre amount of traffic flowing through there it must have been a nightmare to try and do business and I am sure he is perfectly entitled to do this...............BUT for gods sake , would it have killed him to wait ONE more week until the Christmas rush was over ........he has turned a bad traffic situation up there into absolute bedlam .......avoid Edward Street at all costs over the next few days .

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I know John Maloney's garage is sold also and he will be moving back out to the Tipperary road in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Well , with the sale of "Dan Ryans" ( anyone else remember when it was called that ) petrol station at Punches Cross , John Maloney's Honda dealer finally got to close off the enterance from Edward Street .

I agree, the traffic was alot better when Dan Ryan's was there :D

danryans.jpg

actually they still call it Dan Ryan's up until the day it closed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Great Pic there billy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Billy is that shot from the new Stroll down memory lane??
    Got a copy last week very kewl

sioda wrote:
    Billy is that shot from the new Stroll down memory lane??
    Got a copy last week very kewl

that it is.

• Advertisement

now as for the topic. That opening in Maloneys was never intended to be used as a shortcut through the traffic lights at punches cross. I have also seen the carpark at Spierans being used to avoide the traffic lights on the balinacurra road/childers road junction.

Anyways, get used to it. both garages are being knocked down to make way for either a hotel or apartments.

as an asside, is the pizza place next door being knocked as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

now as for the topic. That opening in Maloneys was never intended to be used as a shortcut through the traffic lights at punches cross.

I agree with this , I was just saying that it wouldn't have killed them to wait one more week , just to let ppl get christmas out of the way

as an asside, is the pizza place next door being knocked as well?

if we are to be serious here ..........................it is my greatest fear that 4 star will go !!!!!...................noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jonski wrote:
    I agree with this , I was just saying that it wouldn't have killed them to wait one more week , just to let ppl get christmas out of the way

well to be fair, getting into and out of both the esso shop and the car sales shop were risky what with half the town's traffic driving through their courtyards.

anyway, leaving it open one more week would not really have solved the problem as it will be the same bedlam next week when the schools/businesses go back after christmas.

also it must be noted that there were workmen taking the garage apart so having traffic going through would have been dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Stroll down memory lane

is that on the Web? ....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

jonski wrote:
    it is my greatest fear that 4 star will go !!!!
    Same here, but it wont go! Or at most it will move! Why would all these new pizza places be opening up in the suburbs?? In Raheen alone Pizza Hut and Papa John's have just moved in!

• Advertisement

hobie wrote:
    is that on the Web? ....:confused:

nope, I scanned that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

I think there used to be 4 filling stations in that area. There was one where the Chinese is, another that closed a few years ago and one at the entrance to Gurteen gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

There were indeed 4 petrol stations near Punch's Cross at one time.

The Peony Court Chinese Restaurant was owned by Chawkes and was an Esso Garage. (Chawkes moved to Castletroy, and are still there.)

Dan Ryans owned the Shell Station in the picture. Which became Esso before closure, and at one time was the third busiest petrol station in the country.

Jack Burke Owned the Texaco across the road from the Greenpark shopping centre called Southville Service Station (which I believe is opening as a car sales location for John Maloney's, who bought it about a year ago.)

Just before Gurteen Gardens there was a small station with 2 pumps, (the structure is still there), which was owned by Eric McNamara and sold petrol branded as Maxol (who later re-located to Dooradoyle, where Extravision is now)

After a couple of weeks with the rat-run through Dan Ryans closed off the traffic situation is dire coming from Edward Street.
    It can take 15 mins to get to the lights from the ESB in Rosbrien! and that's about 150 yards.
    Two streams of traffic joining up at the bottom of the edward street/rosbrien junction feeding into the main traffic at Punch's cross just does not fit.
    Anyone got ideas how the traffic flow could be improved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

The Peony Court Chinese Restaurant was owned by Chawkes and was an Esso Garage. (Chawkes moved to Castletroy, and are still there.)

The Esso garage that just closed up a few weeks ago was Chawkes up until it's closure. It was run by Paddy Chawke who lives in Gurteen Gardens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

traffic is a bit mental alright. Every year it just gets worse and worse around rush hour in the morning and evening.. I'm laughing then at the thought of a bus lane or tram service.. where would they fit it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

anyone know why the road under Sarsfields bridge by Pier one is closed. Complete joke there on Friday evening and all along that quay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Sunn wrote:
    I'm laughing then at the thought of a bus lane or tram service.. where would they fit it:D
    Well the bus lane is half done out in Raheen! They've been doing roadworks for months to put it in!!! So it does fit

radioman wrote:
    The Esso garage that just closed up a few weeks ago was Chawkes up until it's closure. It was run by Paddy Chawke who lives in Gurteen Gardens

That's right. Paddy and Tom Chawke are brothers, and their father owned the Esso station where the Peony Court now is. Incidentally it was tried as a shop and 2 or 3 fast food type outlets before the Peony Court became established in 1994 (Superb). The father moved to Castletroy, probably in the late seventies, and Tom now runs the Location, which as you undoubtedly know has expanded mightily. Paddy and Joan managed the ( Dan Ryan / Chawkes ) Location, but I'm nearly sure that he arrived back there some time after the family had gone to Castletroy.

Sunn wrote:
    traffic is a bit mental alright. Every year it just gets worse and worse around rush hour in the morning and evening.. I'm laughing then at the thought of a bus lane or tram service.. where would they fit it:D

Seems a bit strange in a Limerick context to dedicate 1/2 of the available road space to a vehicle that only uses it once every 20 mins or so !

Can understand it in Dublin where there are loads of buses running and Millions of people living and using public transport within the city.

Looks like a cheap getout for the local politicians ie, they can be seen to be doing something, which cost's relative peanuts, and sounds good, even if it is counter-productive.

A better plan would be to look at the traffic routing overall, and certainly the traffic lights need to be synchronised. The traffic flow is brutal.

How fed up you can get when after waiting 2 or 3 mins for the lights to change you get to travel 250 yards to the next lights and repeat the process, etc !!!

Incidentally it was tried as a shop and 2 or 3 fast food type outlets before the Peony Court became established in 1994 (Superb).

Ah The Hot Rock Cafe I remember the one out in O Mara's as well and now its a Chinese too interesting

• Advertisement

sioda wrote:
    Ah The Hot Rock Cafe I remember the one out in O Mara's as well and now its a Chinese too interesting

Was that called Mr. Munch before or after it was called the Hot Rock? That bastard Mr. Munch owes me £1.80. :D

I Think it was Mr Munch and you can always try asking for a free bag of prawn crackers

sioda wrote:
    I Think it was Mr Munch and you can always try asking for a free bag of prawn crackers

I don't think so, my unsettled dispute with Mr. Munch is 18 years old, i will get my £1.80 back though you mark my words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think so, my unsettled dispute with Mr. Munch is 18 years old, i will get my £1.80 back though you mark my words :D

Don't forget the 18 years interest on that £1.80 also. ;)

bazz26 wrote:
    Don't forget the 18 years interest on that £1.80 also. ;)

chalk it down :D

Was that called Mr. Munch before or after it was called the Hot Rock? That bastard Mr. Munch owes me £1.80. :D
    Does anybody know if Mr Munch was a franchise or just a one-off?
    What's going to be the next fast food hottie?
    We seem to have gone all around the world over the last 10 years eg Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Mexican, American, Even Anglo-American with English burger chains.
    My suggestion is Spanish Tapas Bars...what say you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

would love a Tapas bar to open. Would be class and make a change from too many asian returaunts as well. A bit of variety like

Advertisement