Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ron Vlaar?

• 21-12-2005 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this AZ Alkmaar CB?

Apparently, Spurs have agreed a fee of £2.3 million for him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Anyone know anything about this AZ Alkmaar CB?

Apparently, Spurs have agreed a fee of £2.3 million for him.

Another Spurs signing, they really are the new Leeds. Maybe a bit off topic but what exactly happened to Gregor Razciak? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Lemlin wrote:
    Another Spurs signing, they really are the new Leeds. Maybe a bit off topic but what exactly happened to Gregor Razciak? Just wondering.

Think Gregor is just knocking around in the reserves, alot of clubs were reportedly trying to get him on loan in Jan but Spurs want him as cover with Mido heading off to African Nations..

Yep looks like Spurs are going down the Leeds road and buying up every good young player, hopefully they have better success!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If he plays for AZ he has my blessing. :) He started against Italy last month. I watched the game but honestly don't remember him.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Lemlin wrote:

Gregor scored both goals in the reserve team victory against Chelsea on the 14th.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:

Whys that Lemlin, are we paying over the odds for him and paying him 35k a week to sit on the bench? Eh....................no.

Our CB cover at the moment is Naybet (off to the ANC in January) and Anthony Gardner (not the most reliable of defenders), so its a sensible signing. According to the Beebs's ceefax the fee is £1.7 million, which is a touch more than Mick Macarthy paid Blackburn for John Stead...:D

Raziak was signed as cover for Mido, plain and simple. He played when Mido was suspended, and he'll play when Mido is at the ANC (possibly get a start during the Xmas fixtures)

As for our bloated squad, expect moves for all or most of the following in January:

Brown
    Davis
    Mendes
    Jackson
    Reid

• Advertisement

Whys that Lemlin, are we paying over the odds for him and paying him 35k a week to sit on the bench? Eh....................no.

Our CB cover at the moment is Naybet (off to the ANC in January) and Anthony Gardner (not the most reliable of defenders), so its a sensible signing. According to the Beebs's ceefax the fee is £1.7 million, which is a touch more than Mick Macarthy paid Blackburn for John Stead...:D

Raziak was signed as cover for Mido, plain and simple. He played when Mido was suspended, and he'll play when Mido is at the ANC (possibly get a start during the Xmas fixtures)

As for our bloated squad, expect moves for all or most of the following in January:

Brown
    Davis
    Mendes
    Jackson
    Reid

Actually, you should check your facts. Its a touch less than Mick played for Stead, look here http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/05/08/15/manual_083913.html.

You seem to have a problem with Stead. I can't see why. Yes, he only scored two goals all season in his second term in the Prermiership but after his initial signing, he scored six goals in 13 games for a struggling Premiership team. That included winners against Man Utd, Middlesborough and Fulham which gave Blackburn a vital 3 points on each occasion. He also broke into the England U21 team and won numerous caps.

He only signed for 1 million, was paid feck all wages and sold on for 1.8 million so I'd look upon it as good business by Rovers. For strikers who turned out to be poor signings, I'd look to Sergei Rebrov and Helder Postiga, those are a little closer to home for you :)

If you want to slag Blackburn's signings, at least target Corrado Grabbi, a striker who deserves it.

AS for Spurs, I did not mean any criticism by my comment. I was merely pointing out what shepthedog also agreed with, that Tottenham seem to be buying any young, upcoming player that they can get their hands on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bring on lee barnard i say!

Lemlin wrote:
    Actually, you should check your facts. Its a touch less than Mick played for Stead, look here http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/05/08/15/manual_083913.html.

Can't link to my source, but one of the English broadsheets (either The Independant or The Guardian) stated his transfer was for £1.5 million. I bow to all superior knowledge.
    Lemlin wrote:
    You seem to have a problem with Stead.

Oh sweet Jebus...I've mentioned him twice to you , once in our last slagging match (when I compared Kuqi to him) and again this morning. I used him as a reference point that you'd be aware of, why you'd think I was having a go when its an example of good business by Blackburn (acknowledged by your good self) I'll never know, maybe its a hangover from our previous encounter.

Strange to see you defend a Souness signing...;)
    Lemlin wrote:
    AS for Spurs, I did not mean any criticism by my comment. I was merely pointing out what shepthedog also agreed with, that Tottenham seem to be buying any young, upcoming player that they can get their hands on.

Thats good to know. Apologies for taking you up the wrong way, but given the way Leeds fortunes have tumbled since the days of Ridsdale/O'Leary its perhaps understandable that I'd take it as a criticism? Anyways, season greetings and all that.

bring on lee barnard i say!

17 goals for the stiffs, yet "inside sources" maintain Jol doesn't see a future for him. Pity.

You ever seen him play Eamo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Vlaar has played 11 games for AZ and they are top of the league atm.
    Its his 1st season with them according to SSN.

Odd to sell a player after only 4 months if correct to a club with lots of cash.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Vlaar has played 11 games for AZ and they are top of the league atm.
    Its his 1st season with them according to SSN.

Odd to sell a player after only 4 months if correct to a club with lots of cash.

kdjac

Hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff at times, but I gather from my "sources" that the kid had a falling out with his boss at AZ and demanded a move, refusing to sign a new contract at the same time. Ajax were in talks with AZ but they pulled out, allegedly because AZ were playing hard ball in negotiations (according to Vlaar's agent).

He's not first choice at AZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

17 goals for the stiffs, yet "inside sources" maintain Jol doesn't see a future for him. Pity.

You ever seen him play Eamo?

no, i just keep my eye on the reserves league as well. see hows coming though etc.

was thinking of going tothe chelsea one last week coz their training ground is only a few miles away from me

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Can't link to my source, but one of the English broadsheets (either The Independant or The Guardian) stated his transfer was for £1.5 million. I bow to all superior knowledge.

Well perhaps you should check stats before you post them. Any paper or website I read at the time had the transfer listed as 1.8 million.

Oh sweet Jebus...I've mentioned him twice to you , once in our last slagging match (when I compared Kuqi to him) and again this morning. I used him as a reference point that you'd be aware of, why you'd think I was having a go when its an example of good business by Blackburn (acknowledged by your good self) I'll never know, maybe its a hangover from our previous encounter.

Strange to see you defend a Souness signing...

Yes, but you've mentioned him twice in a derogatory manner. I was just proving a point that Stead was far from the disaster that you paint him to be. He was actually quite a success. As for Kuqi, if he was Stead Mark 2, I'd be very happy.

He's already scored some vital goals this season, including the winner in the 3-2 come back against Charlton in the cup and has three Premiership goals in 8 starts, two of them being winners.

Perhaps your opinion of a few of Blackburn's players is as unfounded as your view that Sunderland only payed 1.5 million for Jon Stead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Brown
    Davis
    Mendes
    Jackson
    Reid
    Not a bad lot to raid. They're all good players, a bit unlucky that they play for one of the most packed midfields in the country ;)
    Brown has been linked with a move back to Sheffield United, and Wigan are reportedly interested in Pedro Mendes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Brown
    Davis
    Mendes
    Jackson
    Reid

You should quit reading the Sun. Reid isn't going to be sold. The rest maybe if they can get a good fee.

Oh yeah, who is bank rolling Spurs? they haven't the biggest stadium/supporters group in the UK but are still one of the biggest buying club in the last few seasons. Did some russian buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Looks like he is unsure about moving away from Holland.

From Bbc.co.uk
    AZ Alkmaar central defender Ron Vlaar will decide in the next two weeks whether he wants to move to Tottenham, BBC Sport understands.

Spurs have had a £1.7m bid accepted for the highly-rated youngster, but Vlaar, 20, is unsure whether the time is right to leave his native Holland.

"The player wants and has to make a decision in the near future," said a source in Holland.

"He is still living with his parents and to join Spurs would be a big step."

A statement from AZ on Wednesday confirmed: "AZ have reached agreement with Tottenham. Ron has spoken to the English club. In the coming days he will make a decision."

Vlaar has played only 11 first-team games for Dutch league leaders AZ and has been in and out of their first team this season.

But national coach Marco van Basten has great faith in the youngster's potential and has included him in his squad for important fixtures despite not being a regular at AZ.

Talks over a new contract at AZ have broken down, with the player virtually certain to leave the Dutch club during the January transfer window.

"It is almost for sure that he will leave in January," added the source in Holland.

"There are other clubs besides Tottenham who are interested but none of them have reached an agreement with AZ."

Ajax seemed to be favourites to sign Vlaar, who has been described as the new Jaap Stam, before negotiations broke down.

Lemlin wrote:
    Well perhaps you should check stats before you post them. Any paper or website I read at the time had the transfer listed as 1.8 million.

Like I said, I saw the figure in a UK broadsheet in the last few weeks, why you'd think I'd then go and check what they said I don't know. Do you double check everything you read in the paper?

I'm happy to acknowledge I'm wrong Lemlin, more than happy. You proved me wrong, I accepted it. Move along, nothing to see here...
    Lemlin wrote:
    Perhaps your opinion of a few of Blackburn's players is as unfounded as your view that Sunderland only payed 1.5 million for Jon Stead.

Unlikely. If you want to drag that argument up again, there's other threads to do it, as you know well. Leave it out of this one.

Big Nelly wrote:
    You should quit reading the Sun. Reid isn't going to be sold.

I haven't read the Sun in two years. My information comes from elsewhere.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    The rest maybe if they can get a good fee.

Necromomicon (who posted the last post before you joined the thread) says there's interest in at least two of the players I listed.

Mendes wants away, and with Celtic, Wigan, and Porto allegedly interested he'll probably go.

Brown has been the subject of persistent rumours regarding transfers to Wigan, Birmingham, Rangers, and Sheffield United.

Davis has no chance of getting back into the first team in the near future, and is rumoured to be going back to Fulham.

Jackson can go to anyone who'll have him...
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Oh yeah, who is bank rolling Spurs? they haven't the biggest stadium/supporters group in the UK but are still one of the biggest buying club in the last few seasons. Did some russian buy them?

The money comes from good financial management of the club. Strong season ticket sales, full houses every home game, the Peace Cup prize money, the sale of players, the list goes on and on. Probably most important has been the decision to get older, highly paid yet underperforming "star" like Tim Sherwood and Jamie Redknapp off the books, freeing up money on our wages bill.

And for the record, ENIC which owns a chunk of the club is owned by Joe Lewis, named 2nd richest man in English football by Four Four Two magazine recently.

Like I said, I saw the figure in a UK broadsheet in the last few weeks, why you'd think I'd then go and check what they said I don't know. Do you double check everything you read in the paper?

Nope, but I tend to read alot of papers, websites and teletext so I get a number of different opinions and usually the correct statistics. Even if a paper is a broadsheet, with footballing matters I find it foolish to take the word of one publication as gospel.
    Unlikely. If you want to drag that argument up again, there's other threads to do it, as you know well. Leave it out of this one.

I'm not dragging up anything to do with that thread again. I am pointing out that your opinion on Stead and his transfer fee was unfounded, and that would lead me to believe that you are not the fountain of knowledge about Blackburn Rovers F.C. that you think you are.

You are the one who brought Stead into this discussion, not me. And are you denying that you referred to him in a derogatory fashion as if he had been a failure at Blackburn? You then backed down when I showed the statistics showing exactly why he was not a failure.

Lemlin wrote:

You are the one who brought Stead into this discussion, not me. And are you denying that you referred to him in a derogatory fashion as if he had been a failure at Blackburn? You then backed down when I showed the statistics showing exactly why he was not a failure.

I never backed down on anything. The guy is not premiership-quality, never was, never will be. Blackburn did fantastic business in getting nearly twice what they paid for.

You can either accept my account of why I mentioned him or not, its no skin off my nose. You're looking for a row on this, and you're not gonna get it, cos I've still got a Christmas tree to finish dressing then I'm off to wrap my pressies.

I'll repeat what said earlier:
    Apologies for taking you up the wrong way, but given the way Leeds fortunes have tumbled since the days of Ridsdale/O'Leary its perhaps understandable that I'd take it as a criticism? Anyways, season greetings and all that.

• Advertisement

phenom wrote:
    Looks like he is unsure about moving away from Holland.

Looks like AZ jumped the gun by announcing we'd agreed a fee...

Sky Sports
    Tottenham Hotspur have revealed they will not be signing AZ Alkmaar defender Ron Vlaar.

The Holland international appeared set to join the Premiership club after AZ announced they had agreed a fee with Spurs.

AZ had accepted a £2.3 million offer for the centre half, who has also been attracting interest from Dutch giants Ajax.

But a move to White Hart Lane now seems to be off the agenda after Spurs boss Martin Jol dismissed the transfer.

Jol confirmed he is aware of the stopper's ability, but insists he does not need Vlaar in his White Hart Lane squad.

With five centre halves already on Spurs' books, Jol questioned the validity of bringing Vlaar to The Premiership.

He also expressed his disappointment with Eredivisie side AZ for leaking Spurs' purported interest in signing Vlaar.

The young defender is keen to leave AZ after losing his place in the team, but it would seem that North London is not his future destination.

Oh well. Trees finished by the way, looks smashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

saw the interview on skysports....jol never said they werent getting him just that we have 5 cb ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Is this guy any good? Spurs cover at centre back, as already metioned isnt up to much, so from that point of view he wouldnt be a bad signing if he can play football.

Originally you said:
    According to the Beebs's ceefax the fee is £1.7 million, which is a touch more than Mick Macarthy paid Blackburn for John Stead...

Complete with smiley. To this:
    Blackburn did fantastic business in getting nearly twice what they paid for.

So, forgive me if I'm wrong, have you not changed your view there from slagging the fee Blackburn got, to Stead suddenly being good business?

That represents a marked backing down to me.

Perhaps you shouldn't be commenting on topics that you seem to know little about, that's my point.

In your original post, whether Stead was Premiership quality or not never came into it. Like I have pointed out, he did a good job for Blackburn by scoring the goals which kept them up. I'd gladly pay 1 million for him again any day of the week.

I've tried to work out what you have against Blackburn and the only thing I could come up with, you being a Spurs supporter, was the 2002 League Cup Final? Is that why you attempt to slagg them off at every opportunity?

Lemlin wrote:
    So, forgive me if I'm wrong, have you not changed your view there from slagging the fee Blackburn got, to Stead suddenly being good business?

That represents a marked backing down to me.

Only your paranoid mind could see everything I say as a dig at Blackburn. If anything, the comment was a dig at Mick Macarthy for paying what he did for a Championship-quality player. If I'd wanted a dig at Blackburn, I'd have had a go for what they paid for him.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Perhaps you shouldn't be commenting on topics that you seem to know little about, that's my point.

I got the transfer fee wrong, get over it.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I've tried to work out what you have against Blackburn and the only thing I could come up with, you being a Spurs supporter, was the 2002 League Cup Final? Is that why you attempt to slagg them off at every opportunity?

Pathetic.

I've tried being nice, I've said plenty of complimentary things about Blackburn, their manager, and many of their players. At this stage I've a pain in my arse of listening to your whining. You're like a dog with a bone, and I ain't the only one who been on the receiving end (T4TF knows the feeling I'm sure)

When you've got a new hymn sheet to sing from give me a shout, otherwise don't bother.

If I'd wanted a dig at Blackburn, I'd have had a go for what they paid for him.

And here we have another example of why you don't have a clue what you're talking about. As pointed out, Stead scored 6 goals in Blackburn's last 13 games, among them four winners. Blackburn stayed up by 11 points and were languishing in the relegation zone when Stead signed.

I'd see paying one million for a striker who scored the goals to keep the team up great business, would you not? How many million would Blackburn have lost if Stead had not signed and they had been relegated?

Of course, I suppose he was terrible business when compared to Helder Postiga and Sergei Rebrov. Maybe they're two players whose Premiership record you should concentrate on.

I got the transfer fee wrong, get over it.

As pointed out above, you got alot more than that wrong.

Pathetic.

I've tried being nice, I've said plenty of complimentary things about Blackburn, their manager, and many of their players. At this stage I've a pain in my arse of listening to your whining. You're like a dog with a bone, and I ain't the only one who been on the receiving end (T4TF knows the feeling I'm sure)

When you've got a new hymn sheet to sing from give me a shout, otherwise don't bother.

And when you have an idea what you're talking about, give me a shout. Its clear that you don't know much about Jonathan Stead's record for Blackburn or his transfer. You don't see me coming on here claiming to know about the intricacies of Spurs as a club, perhaps you should keep the same in mind about Blackburn.

Lemlin wrote:
    And here we have another example of why you don't have a clue what you're talking about. As pointed out, Stead scored 6 goals in Blackburn's last 13 games, among them four winners. Blackburn stayed up by 11 points and were languishing in the relegation zone when Stead signed.

I'd see paying one million for a striker who scored the goals to keep the team up great business, would you not? How many million would Blackburn have lost if Stead had not signed and they had been relegated?

How any of that changes my assessment of his abilities and the level at which he should be playing football I'll never know. Are you claiming that my assessment of him as a Championship-quality player is wrong? Care to back that up with his 2nd years stats at Blackburn, or for that matter his current goals tally at Sunderland?
    Lemlin wrote:
    Of course, I suppose he was terrible business when compared to Helder Postiga and Sergei Rebrov. Maybe they're two players whose Premiership record you should concentrate on.

Maybe they are, but seeing as neither of them are relevant to the thread I'll leave that for some time else. Speaking of the thread, how about you contribute something on-topic to the thread instead of trying to continue a four month old fight?
    Lemlin wrote:
    And when you have an idea what you're talking about, give me a shout. Its clear that you don't know much about Jonathan Stead's record for Blackburn or his transfer. You don't see me coming on here claiming to know about the intricacies of Spurs as a club, perhaps you should keep the same in mind about Blackburn.

Tinfoil hat time. The big bad recklessone is slagging my team....:rolleyes:

My most recent comment on Blackburn:
    Opinion has stayed pretty constant, I said on day one of the season that Blackburn were a solid side with a good manager in Hughes, but they were a few seasons away (and a number of signings) from challenging for European football. I did say later that Blackburn are playing good ball under Hughes (and the performance against ManYoo backs that up). My opinion of certain individuals certainly hasn't changed.

See, something complimetary! Well I'll be, I guess I don't have a problem with Blackburn after all...

How any of that changes my assessment of his abilities and the level at which he should be playing football I'll never know. Are you claiming that my assessment of him as a Championship-quality player is wrong? Care to back that up with his 2nd years stats at Blackburn, or for that matter his current goals tally at Sunderland?

From the start I have said that Stead didn't work out in his second season. Fact is though that he had already more than paid his transfer fee. And I think if his confidence grows he could be a good Premiership player, he showed that in his first half-season. In his second season, he knew he wasn't part of Hughes' plans and that affected him. I wouldn't expect anyone to score regularly in that Sunderland team, would you? He is still a young player and has plenty of time to prove himself.
    Maybe they are, but seeing as neither of them are relevant to the thread I'll leave that for some time else. Speaking of the thread, how about you contribute something on-topic to the thread instead of trying to continue a four month old fight?

I wasn't the one who brought Jon Stead or Blackburn into this topic so don't go lecturing me on staying relevant to the topic. You tried to have a cheap shot at a player who was a good servant to Blackburn and always tried his best. I'm not willing to accept that.
    Tinfoil hat time. The big bad recklessone is slagging my team....

You can make light of the topic if you like. Bottom line is that it has been proven you don't have a clue what you are talking about. You have moved attempted to move the topic from Stead's transfer fee and record at Blackburn to his quality as a player. Maybe that's because you realise your initial assessment of him was in grave error. I'll point back to this:

Originally you said:
    According to the Beebs's ceefax the fee is £1.7 million, which is a touch more than Mick Macarthy paid Blackburn for John Stead...

Complete with smiley. To this:
    Blackburn did fantastic business in getting nearly twice what they paid for.

No matter what you say, that represents quite a turnaround in my mind. It has gone from you referring to Stead as if he was snuck out of Blackburn for next to nothing to him suddenly being good business.

I have also shown that your assessment of 1 million being too much for Blackburn to pay for Stead as complete and utter tripe. I'll ask you again, how much would Blackburn have lost in millions if Stead had not scored the goals to keep them up? In his first game, he scored a winner against 'Boro and he continued to score vital goals for the team.

Fine Lemlin, let the record show that I've asked you to:

1. Keep or argument from a previous thread away from this, and
    2. Stay on topic.

You've refused both.
    Lemlin wrote:
    From the start I have said that Stead didn't work out in his second season. Fact is though that he had already more than paid his transfer fee. And I think if his confidence grows he could be a good Premiership player, he showed that in his first half-season. In his second season, he knew he wasn't part of Hughes' plans and that affected him. I wouldn't expect anyone to score regularly in that Sunderland team, would you? He is still a young player and has plenty of time to prove himself.

So my assessment was right? Grand, we agree on something.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I wasn't the one who brought Jon Stead or Blackburn into this topic so don't go lecturing me on staying relevant to the topic. You tried to have a cheap shot at a player who was a good servant to Blackburn and always tried his best. I'm not willing to accept that.

I've told you why I mentioned him, you choose to assign some other sinister motivation, the product of your paranoid mind I believe.
    Lemlin wrote:
    You can make light of the topic if you like. Bottom line is that it has been proven you don't have a clue what you are talking about. You have moved attempted to move the topic from Stead's transfer fee and record at Blackburn to his quality as a player.

You're talking bollox. I mentioned his transfer for the reason I've already stated. I'm not going to do your job for you, so either read what I said previously or shut up.
    Maybe that's because you realise your initial assessment of him was in grave error.

My assessment of him has never changed. My first mention of him on this thread was in a quite clear cut sentence. You've helpfully quoted it for me:
    According to the Beebs's ceefax the fee is £1.7 million, which is a touch more than Mick Macarthy paid Blackburn for John Stead...:D

note: I've added in the missing smilie

You saw that as a slur on Stead, and Blackburn. I've already accepted I got the transfer fee wrong, and I keep telling you that its no criticism of Blackburn to point out that they nearly doubled their money on a "striker" who scored 2 goals in a season. You just don't want to listen, or you do, but you also want to have an argument. Either way, all this sh*te talk about proving me wrong, and my "grave error" is based on your paranoid delusions and f*ck all else.
    Lemlin wrote:
    No matter what you say, that represents quite a turnaround in my mind.

There's the key phrase, "in my mind". And its the wrong conclusion.
    Lemlin wrote:
    It has gone from you referring to Stead as if he was snuck out of Blackburn for next to nothing to him suddenly being good business.

Its a miracle Blackburn got anything for Stead when he moved. I was under the (mistaken) impression that you were having a go at Spurs for reckless spending, I referenced the sale of John Stead to Sunderland as a comparison point to highlight just how good business the purchase of a Dutch international (who has been described as the next Jaap Stam) might be, i.e. for less than Sunderland paid for a mis-firing striker we were looking at getting an international CB who is reportedly a decent player. So the whole "snuck out for next to nothing" is in your head, and nowhere else.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I have also shown that your assessment of 1 million being too much for Blackburn to pay for Stead as complete and utter tripe.

Not content with taking offence at perceived slights of your team, now you have to invent them. Care to show me where I questioned the price Blackburn paid for John Stead? And if quoting this is the best you can do, forget it:

Cos I only said that to point out the fact that I wasn't bloody slagging Blackburn.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I'll ask you again, how much would Blackburn have lost in millions if Stead had not scored the goals to keep them up? In his first game, he scored a winner against 'Boro and he continued to score vital goals for the team.

And he's still sh*t.
    Lemlin wrote:
    If you want to slag Blackburn's signings, at least target Corrado Grabbi, a striker who deserves it.

But I don't want to slag Blackburn. Not on this thread anyway, though if you keep up with your paranoid rantings I might be tempted.

• Advertisement

Fine Lemlin, let the record show that I've asked you to:

1. Keep or argument from a previous thread away from this, and
    2. Stay on topic.

You've refused both.

Ah here we go with you attempting to play the good Samaritan. Well let the record also show:

1. You have posted 'statistics' which are downright wrong.
    2. You have refused to drop the topic of Stead yourself.
    3. You were the one who brought Stead and Blackburn up on a thread about Ron Vlaar and Tottenham.

You've now reduced your own post to a litany of cursing.
    Not content with taking offence at perceived slights of your team, now you have to invent them. Care to show me where I questioned the price Blackburn paid for John Stead? And if quoting this is the best you can do, forget it:

Yes, that's no problem, right here:
    And he's still sh*t.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but how about you just shoot form the hip from the start. I don't see why you try to dress up your opinion and make sly little digs that you think will go unnoticed.
    But I don't want to slag Blackburn. Not on this thread anyway, though if you keep up with your paranoid rantings I might be tempted.

Work away. You've already had enough sly little attempts why don't you just come out and say what you want to. I'd prefer that than you trying to disguise them.

Lemlin wrote:
    Ah here we go with you attempting to play the good Samaritan. Well let the record also show:

1. You have posted 'statistics' which are downright wrong.

Statistic singular. And I've accepted it was wrong and told you why I thought that was the case. Of course, Lemlin being Lemlin, can't let it go, just like that dog with a bone.
    Lemlin wrote:
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but how about you just shoot form the hip from the start. I don't see why you try to dress up your opinion and make sly little digs that you think will go unnoticed.

And I don't see any sly digs. Like I said, nothing I've said on this thread has been a criticism of Blackburn, only John Stead and yourself (but only because of your paranoid rantings)
    Lemlin wrote:
    Work away. You've already had enough sly little attempts why don't you just come out and say what you want to. I'd prefer that than you trying to disguise them.

I try to disguise nothing. Your perception is that I'm criticising Blackburn, I'm telling you here and now I'm not. Are you calling me a liar? How about you come out and shoot from the hip?

And thanks for returning my seasons greetings, or acknowledging my apology for stating an incorrect transfer fee for Stead from Blackburn to Sunderland. I've tried to lighten the mood of this thread on a number of occassions and you continue on the offensive, which leads me to believe that you have no interest in calling a halt to a four month old argument. I do.

My last reply to you on this thread is this one. If you want to continue, either resurrect the previous thread, start a new one, or PM me. You've dragged this far enough off topic already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Do you guys know each other?

Therecklessone is right - Lemlings got some sort of wierd axe to grind it seems...

But anyway - this kids not signing now it seems, so that's that.

Vlaar opted for Feyenoord in the end so I guess Spurs will be on the look out for a young defender.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=353384&cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Lemlin wrote:

You seem to have a problem with Stead. I can't see why. Yes, he only scored two goals all season in his second term in the Prermiership but after his initial signing, he scored six goals in 13 games for a struggling Premiership team. That included winners against Man Utd, Middlesborough and Fulham which gave Blackburn a vital 3 points on each occasion. He also broke into the England U21 team and won numerous caps.

He only signed for 1 million, was paid feck all wages and sold on for 1.8 million so I'd look upon it as good business by Rovers. For strikers who turned out to be poor signings, I'd look to Sergei Rebrov and Helder Postiga, those are a little closer to home for you :)

good man the noel tats telling him!or you's could stop all this arguing and support a good football like man united ha ha

Advertisement