Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good traditional Finnish Recipies??

• 22-12-2005 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some traditional Finnish recipes somewhere. Using ingredients that are available here.

Anyone got any? Or any links to some.. Ones online arent the best that I found.

Also i found on 1 site it used measurements called DL, I though that was just for liquids?? But it was saying xxDL's of flour, hows that measured?

Sorry if it is a stupid question... im not really used to baking etc.. though i can do it and enjoy it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know any Finnish recipes, but a "dl" is a decilitre, or 100ml. I went to a Swedish summer school a number of years ago, and for fun also did a Swedish cookery course in the evenings. For some reason, in Scandinavian countries they measure flour and other solids by volume, not weight, in much the same way as the Americans use cups for everything. Over there you can buy sets of measuring cups in different basic sizes, but here you'd have to use a glass measuring jug of some sort.

Hope that helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Alun wrote:
    Don't know any Finnish recipes, but a "dl" is a decilitre, or 100ml. I went to a Swedish summer school a number of years ago, and for fun also did a Swedish cookery course in the evenings. For some reason, in Scandinavian countries they measure flour and other solids by volume, not weight, in much the same way as the Americans use cups for everything. Over there you can buy sets of measuring cups in different basic sizes, but here you'd have to use a glass measuring jug of some sort.

Hope that helps?

ah thanks dude... that sheds some light on it, thanks a mil:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Finnish recipes aren't particularly interesting. Smoked fish is quite popular, pea soup, potato bake thingy which is gooooooooood(perunalaatikko if you want to Google it), meat pie thingies which are like a soft slightly sweet bread with mince inside that you put cheese and ketchup into. Very popular at markets in summer. Sausages made in the sauna on top of the stove and then cheese is put into the middle to melt. Yummy. Finnish sausages are totally different to Irish ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

thanks.. what about sweet things??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Danishes are very popular. They're a lot less crumbly there than they are here. A lot doughier and softer. Pulla is what Finnish sweet bread stuff is called. It's like the texture of bread but sweet. This has a pic and a recipe too. Cakes tend to be of the sponge variety with lots of fruits, jam and cream. Search for "kakku" with Google for some ideas. Are you looking for ideas for a specific occasion? My parents have a bunch of Finnish cook books so if you needed I could find you some recipes if you have anything specific you're interested in making?

• Advertisement
Advertisement