Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an old gun valued

Options
  • 22-12-2005 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

How are you all,

I have a 12 gauge shotgun for a while, picked it up as a wreck. Friend brought the timber back from the brink, and it is a lovely piece. She is a Birmingham sidelock, non ejector. Last time I saw walnut like it was on a high-end Beretta SO. Make is FC Scott, Princep Street, Birmingham, in a nice leather motor case. I have done some research, and she was proofed between 1925 and 1953, based on the markings. FC Scott was a grandson of WC Scott, and she looks a bit like the WC Scott Montecarlo B model. She is getting a little bit loose on the face, and I was want to know who to turn to to get it valued. Reason is I can keep on using it, as I love it, or if she turns out to be a bit of an Heirloom I will get her repaired properly, and sympathetically (no spot of weld!) Any pointers? Is there any auctioneers/valuations service available in Ireland with the right expertise?

thanks in advance,

cycclops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Give it to me and I'll get it valued for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cycllops

I posted before I was finished, sorry...

I always think it would be great if guns had detailed "log-books" like cars. I would love to know who bought the gun originally, and what it was used for. How many owners etc. This is definitely a high-end mid-range gun of it's time, despite the lack of ejectors. It was badly abused by it's last owner, who covered the entire gun in grease/oil - including the stock! My friend the woodworker spent 9 months undoing the neglect of the timber.

Nuff said...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There is an auction house on Stephen's Green cyclops, though I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I've been told they handle antique firearms from time to time. If they can't value it, maybe they can put you in touch with someone who can. Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Sparks wrote:
    There is an auction house on Stephen's Green cyclops, though I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I've been told they handle antique firearms from time to time. If they can't value it, maybe they can put you in touch with someone who can. Hope that helps...

Adam's

http://www.jamesadam.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Not an appraiser per se but I would give Charlie Costley at Joseph Braddell & Son a ring he may be able to help. Tel: 44 (0) 28 9032 0525, Fax: 44 (0) 28 9032 2657
    Email: fishing@braddells.fsnet.co.uk
    Frederick C. Scott also made guns for Holland & Holland. Monte Carlo B's are very nice guns.

Good luck
    DB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Bonhams are one of the leading auctioneers in London:

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?Screen=guns

Holts are another:

http://www.holtandcompany.co.uk/

Advertisement