Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange noise when changing gear

Options
  • 22-12-2005 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone know what could be causing a strange "SHHHHHH" noise when I change from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd? I have a 2001 320Ci and just noticed this sound. It is very faint and only happens between lower gear changes!

It doesnt really sound mechanical - I have no idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Does it only happen when changing gear, or only when you have your foot on the clutch, even if the car is not moving.
    What happens if you change gears without using the clutch? or just press the clutch while going 30mph, but do not change gears.

I'd suggest listening to the throwout bearing or gearbox bearings.

Howver, if is sounds like a "air escaping" sound, given the Shhhh nature, you could have a broken seal between the cabin and the outside where the gearstick enters the floor.

or is it in any way related to air escaping where pedals or cables go through teh bulkhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

I have only noticed this noise when I am changing gear (lower gears). However, during lower changes I am generally moving slower hense less road noise so maybe I just cannot hear it happening during higher gear changes.

I have not noticed it happening if i clutch when not moving.

Is this something that I should get the dealer to look into? It is still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

does sound like a non mechanical fault from what you've posted. However, there is a hydraulic clutch fitted and your under warranty, so for piece of mind you might as well use the facility seen as you've paid for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

At slow speed?. Could be road noise from the tyres.
    sure have someone look at it, meanwhile, look for some simple things, like a piece of plastic from the wheelwell liner draggin on a tyre, a radiator fan dragging on the fan cowling, some piece of debris, valve stem cap rolling about inside the hub cap, or even inside the tyre itself.
    check your brake pads.

could even be just the belt for the alternator, etc.

or it could be a very small leak in an exhaust or intake joint, which leaks when the engine twists on changing gear.... have someone drive the care past you and change gears while you observe from outside.

Advertisement