Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Woes!!!!!!!

Options
  • 22-12-2005 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

I have a new wireless router and card (linksys wrk45g)

Trying to connect up and out to the internet but having some trouble can anyone offer some advice.

ISP is eircom
    Linksys router

Have a wired connection between both routers and the network card is picking up the signal just not able to connect to the net, or ping any websites!

Both addresses are coming in as 192.168.xxx.xxx range.

I think the dsl router use xxx.xxx.xxx.245, but when i connect both of them the addresses get changed to xxx.xxx.xxx.101 and xxx.xxx.xxx.100.

There both on the same subnet.

Has any one any ideas why this will not allow me access to the net.

I was thinking of using static IP's or maybe it could be a DNS issue.

Any one think of anything?

Cheers lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Hi,

I got the same setup, what "modem" are you using for the connection to eircom,

I guess it is only the standartd netopia box, go to Netopia site and set up the modem to bridge mode, give it a restart, connect it to the uplink on the WRT54G and configure it through there using the "basic setup" page.
    Should do it!

If ya want a hand PM me, i'm unemployed this christmas with alot of time on my hands

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Cheers man, I was thinking about setting it as a bridge but then i cant use NAT or the rest of the good stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'm slightly unclear about which interfaces have been assigned which ips from your post.

It sounds as though you connected the Netopia LAN to a Linksys LAN port, which is not correct. Means Linksys provides IP to Netopia instead of other way round.

The Netopia has the DSL interface and the Lan interface.
    The Linksys has the Wan interface and the Lan interface.

The Netopia must get it's DSL interface ip from eircom.
    The Netopia's lan interface must connect to the linksys wan interface.
    By default I think the netopia gets 192.168.1.254 on the Lan interface. It runs a DHCP server which should provide the IP to the WAN interface of the Linksys (192.168.1.2 or such).
    The linksys lan connectors and the wireless lan connector should assign IPs to your PCs automatically by DHCP to whatever subnet the linksys uses.

This assumes that you use the default configuration which is to have DHCP and NAT active on both devices.

If you choose to use bridge mode then you have to provide the DSL login details to the Linksys. You will use NAT on the Linksys.
    Good points include making it easier to open internet ports for games or bittorrent.
    Bad points include if eircom messes with their equipment at the exchange, you've to manually restart the linksys to reconnect.

Edit:Glanced at the online manual for the WRT54G. Page 18 explains the setup that you should have. Since the Linksys also uses 192.168.1.1, you'll need to disconnect it, change Netgears LAN IP to 192.168.2.254, to avoid conflict.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1127782957298&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Thanks guys,

Dont mean to be a pain but can one of you guys go through the process step by step...

Just post the steps as if i was starting from scratch...

Sorry for the hassle!

Do i need do setup DHCP on the linksys, or Input DNS addresses into the linksys...

Or defult gateways? Would i be better of using Static IP's?

Lads thanks for all the replys.

I think i figured out whats wrong, (Still not able to fix it though!)

The linksys is getting its address of the Netopia router. but then the linksys is assigning the wireless connection another address as it is also running DHCP.

So whats happening is i can ping the linksys, but when i try to get past it and out onto the net it doesnt have any of it!

Wireless Card is picking up :
    IP address of 192.168.1.101
    Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway of 192.168.1.1

Linksys Wireless Router
    IP address of 192.168.1.3
    Default Gateway of 192.168.1.254

192.168.1.254 being the netopia DSL Router....

If i try a regular wired connection my info is as follows
    IP address of 192.168.1.1
    Default Gateway of 192.168.1.254

Any body got any ideas this is really starting to P**s me off!
    If anybody needs any more info and think they might be able to help just let me know!

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement