Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When is a dead phone really dead ?

• 22-12-2005 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

My Nokia 6680 was accidently submerged in water for a couple of hours. Those of you blessed with children will empathise.

Its been deemed "beyond economic repair".

Is there any repair shops that might be a bit braver than this ? or should I just write it off ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

submerged in water for a couple of hours.
    How long ago ?
    It wouldn't have rusted much in a couple of hours but if its been sitting around for a couple of days with moisture inside then its f`ucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

As a matter of Technical interest does the Sim card die in such situations or can it be simply dried and saved? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Gurgle wrote:
    How long ago ?
    It wouldn't have rusted much in a couple of hours but if its been sitting around for a couple of days with moisture inside then its f`ucked.

When I fished it out, I immediately stripped it down and dried it out carefully and slowly over a few days. It actually looks fine, but the repair guys spotted the mositure damage immediately, hence voiding the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

hobie wrote:
    As a matter of Technical interest does the Sim card die in such situations or can it be simply dried and saved? :confused:

The SIM survived just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah it does look like its written off.a normal repair shop charges u for water damage repair and then says they cannot guarntee it will work.so the best thing is just invest in a new fone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As with most electronic equipment, your best chance to save the device is in the few seconds immediately following its drowning.

Remove all power from it - i.e. remove the battery, don't hit the power button. Since most manufacturers won't touch a device with water damage, you've nothing to lose by opening it up, stripping everything apart as much as is humanely possible, and putting it all in a hot, dry, non-static place for a long time. A hot press is best. Leave it there until you're statisfied that it's bone dry (why not leave it for a full two days), reassemble and cross your fingers.

Surprisingly, a device that's been fully submersed is less likely to have fatal damage than a device that's just had something spilled on it - provided that the device isn't left powered on after removing it from the water.

Mobile phones are tough to recover, because they have parts which you can't really disassemble (e.g. the screen) where water can get stuck in the little nooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

there was thread recently where someone submerged their phone, they put it in the hot press straight away and managed to save it....

Of course, if it drops into a Loo just wish it good luck and 'Flush' it into oblivion:cool: !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My Nokia 6680 was accidently submerged in water for a couple of hours. Those of you blessed with children will empathise.

Its been deemed "beyond economic repair".

Is there any repair shops that might be a bit braver than this ? or should I just write it off ?

In Dublin anyway, there's a few places in town that will 'fix' water damage. It might not be successful but to try is better than nothing I suppose.
    A few shops around Moore St look ok. (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

Had my phone in my shirt pocket and while in the process of sitting down on the toilet, SPLASH, it fell in!!:o
    It didn't work for a few days. I just took out the battery immediately and left it in a warm place. It worked about 2-3 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭davehey79

had the same problem with me mam's 6680 dropped it in a toilet rescued it straight away turned it off took it apart as much as possible and left in in the hot press for a week. works again not a bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

My old 6600 also ended up in the toilet - small child involved here too :)
    Took it apart and used the wifes hairdryer on it for about half an hour and then left it in the hotpress over night. Worked a treat in the morning.

As mentioned above - remove the battery straight away and don't try to power on 'till you're sure it's dry again.

Had my phone in my shirt pocket and while in the process of sitting down on the toilet, SPLASH, it fell in!!
    It didn't work for a few days. I just took out the battery immediately and left it in a warm place. It worked about 2-3 days later
    had the same problem with me mam's 6680 dropped it in a toilet rescued it straight away turned it off took it apart as much as possible and left in in the hot press for a week. works again not a bother
    My old 6600 also ended up in the toilet - small child involved here too
    Took it apart and used the wifes hairdryer on it for about half an hour and then left it in the hotpress over night. Worked a treat in the morning

I hope you all gave it a good wash after it came out of the Loo :eek:

izx5kh.gif

Advertisement