Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Old phone minus sim card

• 22-12-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I recently upgraded my phone and was informed that I could continue to use my old Nokia 3120 without a sim card. There's a few features on it that are missing from my new phone (countdown for one), so it would have been handy to have this option. But when I turn on my phone, it tells me to insert a sim card, and all I can is press numbers (to dial 999, I assume). I can't access the menu at all. Is there a way around this, or would I be better off trying to find an old sim card at home?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, any SIM will do, even a barred/deactivated one. There are few devices that will allow you to do anything without a SIM in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, that's what I thought. The muppet in the O2 shop said differently, but then what would you expect from a strategically shaved chimp?

No offense to strategically shaved chimps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most of the newer Symbian phones from the 6630 upwards let you use the phone without a sim. I think the old 3650 has an offline option also in some shape or form. Fierce handy at times for tranferring files via bluetooth from one phone to another. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

a new sim card costs 10 euro and has 10 euro credit on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I purchased a new sim card for my old Voda, to keep it as a spare RTG phone .... sim cost me 10.00 euro ... I got 10.00 euro credit and the Voda shop man said I would get another 70.00 credit over the next 7 months :eek:

all for 10.00 euro !!! :rolleyes:

well that's what he told me :D ..... even he was a bit suprised :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

corblimey wrote:
    I recently upgraded my phone and was informed that I could continue to use my old Nokia 3120 without a sim card. There's a few features on it that are missing from my new phone (countdown for one), so it would have been handy to have this option. But when I turn on my phone, it tells me to insert a sim card, and all I can is press numbers (to dial 999, I assume). I can't access the menu at all. Is there a way around this, or would I be better off trying to find an old sim card at home?

Is the 3120 unlocked?

hobie wrote:
    I purchased a new sim card for my old Voda, to keep it as a spare RTG phone .... sim cost me 10.00 euro ... I got 10.00 euro credit and the Voda shop man said I would get another 70.00 credit over the next 7 months :eek:

all for 10.00 euro !!! :rolleyes:

well that's what he told me :D ..... even he was a bit suprised :confused:

eh.. he's wrong. i'm not 100% sure on voda sim cards but with the others you get 30 with a sim pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

eh.. he's wrong. i'm not 100% sure on voda sim cards but with the others you get 30 with a sim pack

I know .... it sounded too good to be true to me too, but he (the Voda man) did say even he was surprised ...... to be honest for a 10.00 euro sim card I was surprised to get anything so it will be interesting to see what credit they add over the coming months .....

Boards.ie will be the first to get any news ...... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You should ring Voda support and have them confirm for you hobie ....

As for "with the others you get 30 with a sim pack" ... O2 give you 25 as I was so corrected last week :)

ciaranfo wrote:
    You should ring Voda support and have them confirm for you hobie ....

As for "with the others you get 30 with a sim pack" ... O2 give you 25 as I was so corrected last week :)

they used to give 30. i just noticed on a sim pack yesterday that it now says "e5 has been creditted to your account" where it used to say 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor give you 50 (10 a month when you top up by 10)

Advertisement