Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of a Moderator

Options
  • 22-12-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to de-mod a moderator if the users of the forum concerned no longer desire that person to be a mod for that particular forum ? For example just say the people feel its time for a change , the mod concerned may be excellent and there would be no reflection on that person.
    How exactly does it work , has anyone ever been de modded ??(for lack of a better term ).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

boards.ie is not a democracy, blah, blah, blah.

People are only demodded when they ask to be or do something that the admins feel is "unbecoming" of a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It has happened before.

The real question is - will this be moved to the bin like your last Feedback thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

vasch_ro wrote:
    Is it possible to de-mod a moderator if the users of the forum concerned no longer desire that person to be a mod for that particular forum ? For example just say the people feel its time for a change , the mod concerned may be excellent and there would ne no reflection on that person.
    How exactly does it work , has anyone ever been de modded ??(for lack of a better term ).

Happens quite alot these days. Generally we get immigrant mods coming over offering to mod the forums for cheaper and not even join the unions and well...you can guess what happens from there.

It really sickens me, people like simu, coming over here, undercutting my modding salary by 80% and after all my service I get a bronze handshake and shown the door.

The unions don't help matters and well, I think its high time we rose up against this sort of thing and got simu and all her ilk off our internet!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

flogen wrote:
    boards.ie is not a democracy, blah, blah, blah.

People are only demodded when they ask to be or do something that the admins feel is "unbecoming" of a moderator.

Thank you an answer , that is not demeaning to my question which was asked out of genuine curiosity

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

vasch_ro wrote:
    Is it possible to de-mod a moderator if the users of the forum concerned no longer desire that person to be a mod for that particular forum ?

did someone die and make you Admin?
    if you don't like the way things work around here, go away

so Gordie,
    shall I bin it or would you rather I left it to you?

oh and psi
    I have just consulted the wages dept. your salary has just been cut by 55%, if you don't like it, you can also feel free to go away...

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    It has happened before.

The real question is - will this be moved to the bin like your last Feedback thread?

The chances are yes , but at least i have an answer to my question

Beruthiel wrote:
    did someone die and make you Admin?

so Gordie,
    shall I bin it or would you rather I left it to you?

oh and psi
    I have just consulted the wages dept. your salary has just been cut by 55%, if you don't like it, you can also feel free to go away...

why be like that Condesending and Patronising( and a little aggressive) when there is just no need to be , all i asked was a simple question , i am very happy the way things work and have been since July 2000 , I just did not know how things worked , surely I am allowed to ask a simple question without needless heckles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I fail to see any new information on this thread... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

vasch_ro wrote:
    The chances are yes , but at least i have an answer to my question

i would think it really depends on the situation.

there are no rules, but there are no reasons why a mod cannot be unmodded on a forum.

of course, if you want go give specifics, that would probably be more helpful.

the lack of details makes me think its less about about the mods abilities, and more about the lack of liking towards the moderator in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ain't it grand to have searching back. Am I warm? :v:

To the OP, being a mod is a thankless task which all of us do for nothing. You get nothing for all the trolls and muppets you have to keep in check, all the whiny "Why am I banned?" PMs and general crap that every mod puts up with to make sure the forums are a pleasant place for you to while away your time. Suggesting a mod be "de-modded" as you put it, merely due to him/her being busy elsewhere and totally disregarding all the work they put in for your benefit even before you discovered Boards is quite frankly astonishing.

• Advertisement

Firstly I would like to stress there is nothing personal in anyway about my question, I was just curious as to the process involved, the reason I left out specifics was to try and keep the question Hypothetical, I suspect also I should have posted in the Helpdesk forum and not feedback, although I am not sure,
    to be honest at this stage I regret the post but I feel I have an answer and despite having my feelings a little hurt at some of the responses, I would be happy to have this thread binned/locked etc .I realise that being a Mod is somewhat thankless task and therefore I wish you all a happy christmas and a peaceful new year.

Doctor J wrote:
    Ain't it grand to have searching back. Am I warm? :v:

To the OP, being a mod is a thankless task which all of us do for nothing. You get nothing for all the trolls and muppets you have to keep in check, all the whiny "Why am I banned?" PMs and general crap that every mod puts up with to make sure the forums are a pleasant place for you to while away your time. Suggesting a mod be "de-modded" as you put it, merely due to him/her being busy elsewhere and totally disregarding all the work they put in for your benefit even before you discovered Boards is quite frankly astonishing.

I agree , what more can I say .

then the easiest answer, to clarify, is that yes, mods can be replaced, and it has happened in the past.
    and no, there is no process for it becuase it doesnt happen too often. nor do i think one is needed.
    if there is a process, then i think it would be abused by disgruntled people. best to let it go the admins and only under exception circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So cmon then which mod do you want demodded ???

Maybe we could have an episode of "I'm a mod get me out of here" with Regi and Dev as Ant and Dec !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i think all the mods do a grand job, afterall they are human aswell, except WWM, he is a super computer conversation agent who gathers all posts from the boards db and scrunches words together that makes quite good sence,
    he was in overdrive recently hence a new server, now he likes drive by eggings.

Sparky-s wrote:
    i think all the mods do a grand job, afterall they are human aswell, except WWM, he is a super computer conversation agent who gathers all posts from the boards db and scrunches words together that makes quite good sence,
    he was in overdrive recently hence a new server, now he likes drive by eggings.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly. Let's try an Encarta search. =>

WWMAN® Instant Answers is inviting you to start Encarta. Do you want to accept (Alt+C) or decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

sparky
    you're a muppet
    another outburst like that and I'll most likely ban you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

> Pats WWM on the back for a job well done.

(Shalln't say anymore than that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Beruthiel wrote:
    But feedback is here so that users can talk about how things work around here. It's not just for bannings threads, and discussion of the latest frontpage changes. There's no sense in telling people to go away if they want to talk about the way things work, just because it's the established way.

I'd say you'd have got an answer quicker in the Newbie/FAQ forum, though vasch_ro.

Steveire wrote:
    But feedback is here so that users can talk about how things work around here..

I don't understand how you can be on boards for nearly 5 years and not know how things work here, I also think there is more to this thread then he's saying... like the reason he want's to get rid of this Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As DoctorJ says, modding is thankless. If a couple of users complain, we generally just say "fck them", because they're doing nothing but being whiny bitches.

If the regular users of a forum are regularly finding themselves arguing with the moderator, they'll probably let him or her know respectfully, or they'll desert the forum. In the former case, the moderator will usually have the good sense to step down for being criticised for doing a job which he doesn't have to do, and if it's the latter, well who cares?

Democracy doesn't exist here. If it was policy to allow users to have a vote of confidence on their moderators, you'd see five or six polls appearing each day, started by the aforementioned whiny bitches who don't realise that they are the problem, not the moderator. Then when the vote doesn't go their way, there would be moans of cliques, and biase, and oppression. Just like in the real world.

If you don't like the way a moderator carries out his job, then think about why you don't like it, and discuss it with him via PM. If you just fancy a change, it's not gonna happen - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

OK, but saying "if you don't like the way things work around here, go away" seems like a general rule for the forum the way you put it. I'm thinking of the people who haven't been here for five years and don't know how things work.

Anyway, this is a bit of a thread hijack, so I'm gonna leave it at this point.

Please , there is no conspiracy theroy here, I have no axe to grind what so ever
    I have never visited the feedback forum before, I mainly post in the Self defence Martial Arts Forum and do not really stray far from there,
    I do not repeat DO NOT wish to get rid of any mod, I was just wondering was it a job for life so to speak,I did just want to talk about how things work around here, If i have any future queries I will research the Newbie FAQ forum first,
    perhaps its true when they say the only sin is ignorance , perhaps I should know more about how things work, but unfortunately I do not.
    All I can do is offer apologies if I have ruffled any feathers, I do not wish to get rid of any Mod, there is no hidden agenda, so please can we bin the thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hello Bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Caw Caw Caw Caw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement