Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2 ripoff?

Options
  • 22-12-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

I downloaded this new game called "War Rock" which is basically a free Battlefield 2 type of game. It's still in the beta process but I found this game to be rather fun. Hardly any lag, couple of 100 rooms to play in. 5 classes to choose from. Only thing is, there is 1 mode but a handful of maps to play on. Anyone else play/has played this?

http://www.warrock.net/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Its been talked about in the games forum before, general consensus is that yea its quite good. Havent played it myself tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

saw this a while ago. looks like fun...

if they can clone bf2 that's pretty shoddy - but with bf2's bug and what not, i'd be happy to have a non-laggy game that doesn't require massive updates all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

:eek: - just downloaded the promo vid, and is it me or does a lot of this 'looks like' it was ripped straight out of BF2 (and I mean even code/animations, never mind maps etc.), i.e.

*some of the map layouts discernible in the video appear curiously similar to BF2 maps, albeit 'lightened up' in features (buildings, etc.)

*some of the animation (ragdoll for KIAs, vehicles when exploding, etc.) again appear curiously similar to BF2

*some of the textures again... etc, etc.

Mmm... now wondering what DICE/EA have to say about that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ambro25 wrote:
    Mmm... now wondering what DICE/EA have to say about that one ;)

"how did they get our game to run properly on computers that didn't cost €2000?!"

ROFL :D

Installing now on my D600 - Oh joy, to not having to update the lappie as well :)

• Advertisement

Installed it, played it online, 'tis good fun alright :)

As mentioned in-thread before, this very much feels like Battlefield 1.5, and is absolutely not a patch on Battlefield 2.

I'll retract a bit of my earlier comments about the "ominous likeness" with BF2: actually, it looks and 'feels' much closer to a good BF1942 mod. Makes you wonder if they didn't actually use BF2 for the trailer only ;)

The closest link I would make, is that this thing is the Desert Combat mod tarted up to be as close to BF2 as possible.

Tell you something though - DICE/EA can get worried (in all seriousness here), because I bet this bloody thing runs on anything (640x480 with minimum details :eek: - come on, I bet that will run sweet even on a mid-range PIII).

Because with:
    * the size of the game (180MB download for the full install)
    * the possible price point (if the Korean developer is clever enough to ride the BF2 hype for free marketing and do away with a publisher/boxed retail version = LFS S2 racing sim distribution model, i.e. something like $15)
    * and indeed the fact that it doesn't require you to spend €€€ upgrading your (old) rig, they've got a sure-fire monster-hit in the making.

That's *again* provided there's no IP dispute down the line. Or I can see EA/DICE buying them outright and marketing War Rock as "BF2 Lite™".

... wonder if they're floated / they've got shares to buy on Korean Stock Market? :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Played it and although its fun it doesnt have a patch on BF2. Very high pings too. I couldnt find a way of ordering the servers by ping, but maybe i just didnt look hard enough.
    The menu interface needs a little work too.
    Verdict - 9/10 for a free game, but if i had to pay it would have to be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

this game is a real stinker. if you are looking for a good FREE fps go with enemy territory instead

http://www.download.com/Return-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Enemy-Territory-full-install-/3000-7565_4-10243511.html?tag=lst-0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

This looks really cool DLing it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Anyone else get SUPER slow DL from that site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

yep

prepare for a let down. go with wolfenstein:enemy territory instead.

Advertisement