Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do ye think of this?

Options
  • 22-12-2005 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

mate of mine just got a website done with the following

· domain name reg & hosting (1 year & 1gb space - dunno bandwidth)
    · 5 static HTML page with the usual info on em
    · Mailing List (with a simple enough backend)
    · phpBB (with a custom skin)
    · osCommerce (again custom skin)

he was charged not far off the €3,000 mark, does anyone else not think thats a bit of a rip especially considering phpBB & osCommerce install so quickly? i was gonna do it for him but i learned long ago about doin mates websites as favors, kinda feel a bit bad now :-(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I just choaked on my coffee a little... Did he happen to get an estimate of the number of hours work it took? I should imagine the majority of the cost went on the design and custom skins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Was it a set price or an hourly rate? 3 grand is billing for anything from 200-50 hours depending on the skills of the designer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ah i know its ****ing ridiculous charge, my pal is an idiot when he got the invoice it was broken down into inidividual charges not has an hourly rate, i was figuring more around the €1,000 - €1,500 at the very most for this kinda work

fool has more money than sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

_raptor_ wrote:
    mate of mine just got a website done with the following

· domain name reg & hosting (1 year & 1gb space - dunno bandwidth)
    · 5 static HTML page with the usual info on em
    · Mailing List (with a simple enough backend)
    · phpBB (with a custom skin)
    · osCommerce (again custom skin)

he was charged not far off the €3,000 mark, does anyone else not think thats a bit of a rip especially considering phpBB & osCommerce install so quickly? i was gonna do it for him but i learned long ago about doin mates websites as favors, kinda feel a bit bad now :-(

Is he getting any extra support aswell?
    e.g. help adding in the products, offering tutorials on how to do newsletters/mailing lists etc, maintenance etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

nope, the designer tried to charge him more for that at which point i stepped in an showed my pal what to do

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, jesus, I have to do more professional work.

I'm obviously missing out on the huge Internet cash cow. If he did a REALLY good job integrating osCommerce and phpBB with the site (though 5 static HTML pages makes me weep), it might be worth a fair bit. Unless the designer is particularily good though €3000 is fairly steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As CuLT says, it may depend on how good a job he did (if he did at all) of integrating phpBB/osCommerce.

Skinning osCommerce also isn't necessarily as simple as skinning phpBB, it does take a little bit more work.

That's only on the development side. I've seen good designers charge €1000 or more purely for the site template. So, certainly it's possible to have accrued €3000 on his site, but unless it looks and works absolutely perfectly, he's paid at least €1000 more than he should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I think to be fair you would really need to get an understanding of exactly what work was done.

It's easy to say he was charged over the odds, but I've charged a couple of grand for off the shelf e-commerce systems. Thing is, I've spent a couple of weeks adding in custom functions etc that justifies the price.

Maybe he was ripped off, maybe the guy put in a lot of work on it, or maybe somewhere in between?

But at the end of the day, it is up to the buyer to shop around.

Just my 2c on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

Agree with the general consensus on this one. We'd really have to see the job that was done before we can say whether the guy was ripped off or not. He may well have gotten an exceptional deal - he may have paid some talentless bedroom designer to do the job and been ripped off. We simply don't know. Do you have a URL?

Advertisement