Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations.

Options
  • 22-12-2005 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Hey.It seems my computer needs a better graphics card for some games so I'm interested in getting one,I was wondering if someone could recommend one a around 128mb.Not too expensive.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

What type of graphics slot do you have on your motherboard? PCI, PCI express or AGP mate?

It makes a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

HAve no idea,how would I find out?

I'm pretty sure it's AGP.

I have a hp1702.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

6600gt is probably the best price/performance card they are around €180 on komplett.ie

What are the other specs of your PC CPU, RAM OS............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Yeah... 6600GT is a good card if you're an occasional gamer and if money is an issue. The best card you can get for AGP (as far as I know anyway) is an X850XT platinum edition, but that'll set you back €358.99 from komplett.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308327&cks=PRL

Of course you can spend a lot more by upgrading your PC to a mobo with PCIe... but that'd be overkill.

I'd recommend you go with the 6600GT too. Great card and excellent price/performance ratio.

• Advertisement

I found this here.Radeon 9600PRO.What's that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Depends on what you want to use it for.
    Please list your budget, computer specifications (esp RAM & processor), current monitor and games you play first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Franky Boy wrote:
    I found this here.Radeon 9600PRO.What's that like?

It's alright, I used to use it before I upgraded to the X800GTO, it'll run Half Life 2 and Battlefield 2 (HL2 medium settings, BF2 low to medium), it's starting to age pretty rapidly though.

Hmmm.How much is the x800gto?

My budget is around €110
    I'll be using it for Battlefield 1942,Call of duty and Max Payne2!
    RAM is 512mb.
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz.

Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Franky Boy wrote:
    Hmmm.How much is the x800gto?

My budget is around €110
    I'll be using it for Battlefield 1942,Call of duty and Max Payne2!
    RAM is 512mb.
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz.

Is that right?

512 Ram and 2.8 Ghz is perfect for all those games. A 9600 Pro is also perfect. Don't go getting an X800Pro unless you plan playing the likes of Doom 3, Battlefield 2 etc - it'll be 100% wasted on the likes of Call of Duty and BF1942.

And if you DO plan to play the latest games - 2.8 ghz is fine - 512mb ram isn't unfortunately!

If you plan sticking with the games you have mentioned - I'd go for a cheap second hand card for about 40 quid - fx5200, 9600, etc.

If you plan playing modern games anytime soon, go for the x800, but make sure you consider a RAM upgrade as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.I think I should be getting new RAM within the next year anyway.
    Btw.Does it matter if I get the sapphire or power colour?

Thanks for all the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, the Sapphire 9600Pro's RAM is overclocked to 220Mhz; apart from that they should be the same.
    For €110 however, I'd say to get a 9600XT instead: link While that's the pre-shipping price, those 9600Pro's are not true "PRO"s; they can't overclock well at all (I also had some trouble with mine (link), run it underclocked @360/170 now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jellycopter

I've got a 6600 GT. Very happy with it. Works pretty well on most games. Won't kill your bank account either.

Advertisement