Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a private house in an Affordable Housing Estate

Options
  • 22-12-2005 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Would you do this?

I understand that there is to be a new housing development launch near where I'm living sometime next year. Approximately 50% of the property wil be private housing the other 50% will be affordable housing. Do you think that the house prices for the private houses will be more competitive than those in a 100% private estate or does it make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'd imagine so, yes. you buying in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The prices will definitely be slightly lower and less prone to serious inflation than in a fully private estate, as the snobs view affordable housing as being akin to council housing.

Afaik, all new developments now must contain a certain % of affordable housing, so if it's something you want to avoid, you'll be going second-hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

How will the next buyer know that part of the development is affordable housing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

seamus wrote:
    the snobs view affordable housing as being akin to council housing.

Afaik, all new developments now must contain a certain % of affordable housing, so if it's something you want to avoid, you'll be going second-hand.

Unless you are living in Cork. The "snobs" on the Council have refused to enforce this provision so there are no mixed estates.

Advertisement