Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Problem copying XP Pro Profile

• 22-12-2005 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Righty, I have 49 new PC's that I'm preparing to Ghost and deploy in the next few weeks - lucky me eh? :)

So I've taken one, reloaded it with the Volume License/Corporate version of XP we use, set it up, installed the apps, customized the desktop etc and am ready to use it as a template for my Ghost image.

BUT.. before doing this I'm trying to copy the "localadmin" profile to the default user. I've logged in as Administrator and tried to do so, but the Copy To button is greyed out.

I've created a "test" account, logged into it, logged back out and in as Administrator and I can copy this third account ok, but no matter what I try, the "localadmin" profile doesn't want to cooperate :( It's setup with admin rights and its My Documents etc folder are not set as private.

Has anyone any ideas, or is there maybe even a tool out there that can automate this profile copying lark as this (and it's not the first time I've had profile problems with 2000/XP) seems very hit and miss.

Ta in advance, and Merry Christmas! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you have restarted the PC and logged in as another user with admin permissions before copying the NTUSER.DAT file ( see also NTUSER.MAN )

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

I don't think you can copy a profile if you're logged into it or into the profile you are copying it to. Try giving the test account admin rights, then restart (not just log off) and log into the test account and try the copy then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for the replies guys...

Yep I restarted the machine and then logged in under the "test" account (which has admin rights) but the same problem occurs. It's very strange! :confused:

Advertisement