Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Out To Nobble VoIP With Hefty Min Call Charge From January 1st

• 22-12-2005 4:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Eircom has 2 levels of Minimum call charge for their VPN customers when they dial out of the VPN . Minimum call charge to Irish Landline or Mobile are at one rate while a higher Minimum call charge applies to International calls . Most VPN traffic is stuff like Tax offices talking to each other so International minimum rates are not that important .

Eircom have decided to charge the hefty international minimum rate for 076 numbers (VoIP numbers) which is 6.35c per minute ... Even though the cost per minute is around 1c a minute in the evenings . The minimum call charge now is 3.85c . Put another way, if you ring a VoIp number in the evening Eircom will charge you for 5 mins anyway so you may as well use them up .

This may of course create the 'perception' among VPN customers (of whom the government is the biggest) that calls to 076 are 'expensive' , wonder why ??? .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Sponge bob where did you get your info from ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i think sponge bob knows people :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Senor Sponge, he know everybody...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Hopefully somebody will develop a wimax voip phone (that works) before the end of the year and put eircom, o2 & vodafone out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

/me looks at Digiweb to come up trumps here!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Source Data (page 11)

I also see that eircom will be doing a free connection promo from mid jan to end march if the wiring is in situ on your premises.

Advertisement